PDA

View Full Version : Gloat? Maybe?

Lee Koepke
02-19-2011, 8:55 PM
OK, so I finally wandered down a half mile or so to meet a neighbor I ran into at a Craft show in December. He had told me he had a Wood Mizer and if I wanted something cut, stop by..... so I decided to .... we looked around a bit and he said "hey, you want this?" I think its chestnut ... about 9" diameter x 38" long. We sliced it in half so I have some bowl blanks to work with.

PS, he also has two cherry trees with some decent sized burls he offered to cut down for me .... what did I do to deserve this ???

John Keeton
02-19-2011, 8:58 PM
Lee, you must be living right!! Don't know that it is chestnut (may be, just don't know) but that double feather is going to be awesome!! And, you have two of them!! Congrats on the cherry and burls, too.

Get some Anchorseal - quickly!!

Lee Koepke
02-19-2011, 9:03 PM
Already anchorsealed! The feather part will be the last for me ... I get to do a bit of practice first !!!

Rich Aldrich
02-19-2011, 9:17 PM
Lee - My thoughts are that this guy appreciates wood and understands what wont make lumber. When he met you, he found someone that will take the odd stuff that would only make firewood. He knows the grain is nice in the wood, but he has no outlet.

I have a neigbor like this. He had a cherry burl that he picked out of his firewood and set it aside, knowing he would find a good use for it. He gave it to me when he saw the bowls that I make. He said he has quite a few more on his property and that he will give them to me as he cuts the trees for firewood. One of the bowls that I made out of the burl is for him. I will give him something for the other burls. He is a preacher at the church down the road and wants nothing for the burls, but I will give him something even if it is a donation to his church.

Steve Schlumpf
02-19-2011, 9:21 PM
Lee - sure is some beautiful wood! Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of it! Sounds like it was worth the 1/2 mile hike to get to know your neighbor!!!

Bernie Weishapl
02-19-2011, 9:34 PM
Lee that is some pretty wood. Looks like the walk was worth it.

Ron Stadler
02-19-2011, 9:48 PM
Looks like awfully nice wood to me, be interesting to see how well it looks turned, keep us posted.