PDA

View Full Version : 3rd bowl softer wood this time

Deane Allinson
02-19-2011, 8:07 PM
I tried turning my third bowl with a little softer wood this time. It was still pretty dry though. It was a dead limb that someone cut off of an apple tree right on the edge of the road. I need to get some larger stuff to turn. This is still pretty small, about 3 1/2" x 3 1/2".
I also need to work on my attachment methods. It flew off twice. That's one reason that it ended up so small. I gave it a quick coat of danish oil.
Deane

James Combs
02-19-2011, 8:31 PM
That is unique shape and I like uniqueness. Great contrast in wood coloring also.

David E Keller
02-19-2011, 8:35 PM
Nice work, Deane. That's a pretty challenging shape for a third... Fairly deep with a narrow opening. The coloring is great, and the contrasting sapwood is a nice touch. What method were you using to hold the piece? You may be able to score some pointers for future turnings.

John Keeton
02-19-2011, 8:39 PM
Really a nice piece of wood - and, no cracks!! Never turned apple, but from what is posted here it seems cracks are the norm.

Deane Allinson
02-19-2011, 8:42 PM
I had a small tenon on the bottom and glued it to a scrap piece of pine on the end of a 3" face plate. I think that the tenon was a little too small and a little sloppy fit. I ended up with a single screw in the middle of the face plate.
Deane

Thomas Canfield
02-19-2011, 10:24 PM
That is nice looking but not much easier or probably much softer wood. At the rate you are going, you may not need to practice. I would call that a "hollow form" rather than a bowl. For starting out on bowls, I would suggest something with a depth no greater than 1/2 of diameter and at least 1/3 of diameter as flat bottom or slight curve to help develop the flow of cutting from the rim down to bowl center, and then move on to harder shapes. You need to keep looking for some easier wood for practice.