PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have experience with Milani rasps?

Gary Radice
02-19-2011, 7:22 PM
These are less expensive than Auriou, but I'm having trouble finding reviews. Apparently they mostly sell rasps for sculptors but they do make cabinet makers rasps. Anyone have any experience with them?

Jim Koepke
02-19-2011, 7:42 PM
I have a few nice rasps that are made in Italy. No idea if they are made by Milani.

Mine were found on ebay and garage sales.

Lee Valley used to carry some Italian rifler rasps. It looks like some of the ones they have no longer have a country of origin listed.

Frog Wood Tools dot com lists theirs as Italian. I have thought a few times about buying one or two.

jtk

Gary Radice
02-19-2011, 7:49 PM
Thanks, Jim. Dieter Schmid sells them. Shipping to the US from Germany is a killer but I have a European friend visiting in the spring and I'm thinking of asking him to bring a couple along with him.

http://www.fine-tools.com/feile8.htm

john brenton
02-19-2011, 9:10 PM
Go on youtube and watch the Lie-Nielson tour of thr Auriou factory. Watching the dude hammer the rasps made the price seem more reasonable and made me want one.

Jim Koepke
02-20-2011, 12:22 PM
Thanks, Jim. Dieter Schmid sells them. Shipping to the US from Germany is a killer but I have a European friend visiting in the spring and I'm thinking of asking him to bring a couple along with him.

http://www.fine-tools.com/feile8.htm

I think I have drooled over that page before.

jtk

Robert Culver
02-20-2011, 12:48 PM
I have a couple of the rasp from grameracy tools(tools for working wood ) there great for the money about half as much as a Auriou I checked out the rasps you were Talking about and think there a good rasp also. I think the keep to a good rasp is good metal and hand cut teeth when I pulled the plug on a hand cut rasp it was a major difference I dont care for the handles thats what makes Aurious so nice but thats a pretty easy fix if you have a lathe or know sombody who does thats just what I have learned your experiance may differ....