PDA

View Full Version : Dog smell on carpet: how to clean it?

Bob Weisner
01-19-2005, 11:21 AM
Does anyone know what would be the best way to get the smell out of a carpet? Our 16 year old female Lab has got some sort of a discharge from her and the carpet in the living room is stained and really stinks because of it. The dog is going to the Vet tomorrow , but what do I use to get the smell out of the carpet? I tried Frebreeze, did not work. Tried vinegar on the carpet, did not work. I think it has gone through the carpet and into the pad. Will be replaceing the carpet this week sometime, but is there anything that can get rid of the smell?

Thanks,

Bob

Doug Shepard
01-19-2005, 11:37 AM
Any good pet store should have stain/odor removing cleaners. They're in a pump spray bottle. I had good luck cleaning up with it after a bout of dog diarhea last year. Works good on cats occasionally missing the litter box too.

Rob Russell
01-19-2005, 1:05 PM
When we picked out/picked up our cat from the Humane Society, he peed all over the car seats on the way home. There is an enzyme based spray I bought at a pet store that kills the odor - probably the same stuff that Doug mentioned. It really does work. He pooped and puked on the car's carpet during that trip too and those odors were taken care of by the spray.

Ken Leshner
01-19-2005, 6:03 PM
We've used Nature's Miracle, available in pet stores. It works pretty well.

Ted Shrader
01-19-2005, 6:29 PM
Does anyone know what would be the best way to get the smell out of a carpet? Our 16 year old female Lab has got some sort of a discharge from her and the carpet in the living room is stained and really stinks because of it. The dog is going to the Vet tomorrow , but what do I use to get the smell out of the carpet? I tried Frebreeze, did not work. Tried vinegar on the carpet, did not work. I think it has gone through the carpet and into the pad. Will be replacing the carpet this week sometime, but is there anything that can get rid of the smell?

Thanks,

BobBob -

The other suggestions will get rid of the smell for now. But since you are replacing the carpet later this week, a tip. Pull the carpet and pad back prior to the installer coming and prime the floor. Use Kilz or Zinzer because they dry rapidly and will seal in any remaining smell. Worked for us on particle board underlayment with cat pee in it.

Ted

Ken Garlock
01-19-2005, 7:22 PM
We've used Nature's Miracle, available in pet stores. It works pretty well.
I second Nature's Miracle. We had a sick kitty that would urinate on one of two places. A good heavy dose of NM would remove the smell, Period. :mad:
Put it on heavy, rub it in with your hand to be sure it get down into the carpet and pad. Put an upside down plastic clothes basket over the spot for a couple days, and no smell. Be sure to cover the spot plus a couple inches all around. Once or twice I just poured the liquid out of the bottle onto the carpet to be sure I got in throughly soaked.

Pets Mart carries it. :)

Kim Black
07-19-2011, 1:55 PM
Ammonia and Baking Soda. Soak the carpet really well with the Ammonia first.
see this article for this instruction and other stains cleaning tips for carpet
http://www.designerstouchflooring.com/wordpress/2011/05/16/carpet-cleaning-tips-for-specific-stains/

paul cottingham
07-19-2011, 2:54 PM
Natures miracle is as great as tails first dovetails. Can't recommend it enough.

David G Baker
07-19-2011, 5:06 PM
Bob,
Can't help you with the odor but you can get carpet padding that will block pet accidents from reaching the flooring under the pad. I forget what it is called but I got the pad and carpet from Lowe's. It may be called Odor Block.

Peter Scoma
07-19-2011, 5:09 PM
Hopefully the smell is gone 6 years later :)