PDA

View Full Version : Detached shop (Add bathroom or not?)

Wes Billups
02-19-2011, 1:04 PM
We're getting ready to finalize the plans on a detached workshop this spring and I'm really torn with whether or not to put a bathroom in the shop. I've gotten multiple quotes and I'm looking at adding an additional $12,000 just for the rough in. This includes running water from the house and attaching to the existing septic system. I figure it'll easily add $15,000 by the time you figure a water heater, toilet, sink, and shower.

I've got a few questions before making the decision.
1. Does the price sound appropriate? We'd be looking at running water, sewer, and gas lines approximately 100' to reach the shop.
2. Has anyone ever heard of a small point of use septic system? My thought is this may be a cheaper and better alternative than tapping into the existing system.
3. Assuming the $15,000 is the total cost for a functioning bathroom, is having one in a shop worth this amount?
4. Can a water and gas line occupy the same trench? None of the contractors I've spoken with have been able to answer this question.

This bathroom would also service the pool so we'll be getting double duty out of it plus the gas line for the water heater would allow me to heat the shop with gas versus propane or electric. Please assume the existing septic system can handle the additional bathroom.

I've got tons of other questions but these are the ones holding me back from finalizing the building plans.

Thanks,
Wes

phil harold
02-19-2011, 1:57 PM
If money is not the issue I would say install it

But is there 15,000 worth of tools you have your eye on?

Other things to think of are solar heat, radiant heat, wood stove, any of those can be cheaper than conventional heat

my shop is 75'+ from the house even at -5 outside it really is not an issue to walk to the house to take care of 'duties'

now installing cable, bathroom, refrig, and couch the missus may start to miss your presence...

Rick Moyer
02-19-2011, 2:07 PM
How often do you have to go? I realize that sounds like a silly question, but IF you are just considering the bathroom for it's usual utility for the shop then I definitely think it is not worth the expense. You do, however mention that it would also service the pool, which changes the equation a bit. Since a gas line isn't necessary for a bathroom I wonder are you going to run that anyway? Too many variables to consider for a better opinion.

I have an attached garage but I have to walk outside 5-10' to get into it. That's plenty close enough for me when nature calls. I keep an old laundry detergent container of water in the shop (w/spout) for when I need it, like moistening for Gorilla glue, glue brush cleaning, etc. Otherwise I haven't found the need for water out there.

So my answers would be 1-2-4 not sure, 3 definitely not worth it. But it's your money!!

John Gustafson
02-19-2011, 5:14 PM
I've got a similar situation and the same questions. I had the provisions for water, drain and sewer installed in the slab since that avoided future tear out. For now, the facilities in the house will suffice. I have looked at an Incinolet as an option. Where my building is, relative to my existing septic tank, is about 150 feet. That probably means a second septic tank, and a pump to feed the existing tank if I'm going to use the existing leach field. That's only if the sanitarian will let me add another set of fixtures to the system.

Ray Newman
02-19-2011, 5:38 PM
Sounds lioke a 'lotta' money to me.

And, tax collectors/assessors like bathrooms in out building as the value of the property and building will increase for tax purposes....

Norman Hitt
02-19-2011, 5:40 PM
If you ever get a "Bum Knee" like I have and then develop the "Old Men's Malady" as well, you will think that $12,000 was the best money you ever spent when you don't have to make that 100' walk each way.:D Yes, I installed one in my shop and I dearly love having running water in the shop for a change. YMMV

Alan Lightstone
02-19-2011, 6:07 PM
I'd say that the answer depends on the size of your prostate.

Ruhi Arslan
02-19-2011, 6:30 PM
... and considering prostate starts enlarging as of 40 years young, it might be a cheaper option to at least rough it in at the beginning. $12K sounds a lot though. I wouldn't think an acceptable septic system would be any cheaper depending the difficulty involved to get connected to the system.

Don Jarvie
02-19-2011, 6:39 PM
My money would be for the gas line since you will need the heat more than the bathroom. It would be handly to have a sink and running water it seems like a lot of cash you could probably invest elsewhere in the shop.

Is the gas and water a package deal? You can compare the cost of the gas alone and go from there.

Logan William
02-19-2011, 7:27 PM
The cheapest septic system you can get out here that is approved is essentially a 1500-2500 gallon in ground holding tank with a level alarm so that you know when it has to be pumped, they won't allow it on a house but have do give the approval for shops and other occasional use places. For occasional water usage in a shop it should be more then enough and would run around $1500-3k depending on capacity. In terms of hooking up to your existing septic system if your shop is enough higher elevation the hookup is a very simple task, but if they have to put in a lift pump its gonna get expensive

Don Bullock
02-19-2011, 8:45 PM
I've got a similar situation and the same questions. I had the provisions for water, drain and sewer installed in the slab since that avoided future tear out. For now, the facilities in the house will suffice. ....

I did the same thing. Currently the pipes for the water are "hidden" in the wall and the connection is below the surface of the slab.

Sounds lioke a 'lotta' money to me.

And, tax collectors/assessors like bathrooms in out building as the value of the property and building will increase for tax purposes....

That's exactly why my pips were hidden prior to inspection. Where I live a bathroom in a garage is considered adding an additional living area. The permit and taxes are totally different than those for a shop/garage even though I don't intend for the space to be a bedroom.

Since you're on a septic system too, you may have to increase the size of your current septic system is you install another bathroom. It just depends on local code and the capacity of your current system.

If you ever get a "Bum Knee" like I have and then develop the "Old Men's Malady" as well, you will think that $12,000 was the best money you ever spent when you don't have to make that 100' walk each way.:D Yes, I installed one in my shop and I dearly love having running water in the shop for a change. YMMV

I'd say that the answer depends on the size of your prostate.

Very true!:eek:;):D

I may never install the toilet because the closest bathroom is within 25 feet of the shop door, but my wife wants me to install the sink. She doesn't want me using the kitchen sink or even the one in her laundry room for cleaning brushes, tools, etc. She might even go as high as your $12,000 to install my sink, but I doubt it will be very much.

Matt Meiser
02-19-2011, 9:00 PM
I have water in my shop installed by the previous owner. He ran a water line and installed a frost free hydrant. Very handy. Due to water table I had to install a sump pump in the put for the hydrant. When I did I added a laundry sink and 2.5gal hot water heater which dumps on the driveway. No different than I'd do without the sink. I'd love to have a bathroom but the space it would take and the cost of a separate septic system are keeping me from doing so.

Joe A Faulkner
02-19-2011, 9:24 PM
My shop is 70' from the house; no plumbing. I do keep an empty quart jar on a shelf. Comes in handy now and again. For me, I'd rather have the investment income on the 12K for more tools and other shop expenses than sink 12K in a shop bathroom.

Chip Lindley
02-19-2011, 9:27 PM
A completely outfitted 3/4 bath would certainly come in handy if you ever find yourself in the DogHouse! A detached shop should be able to double as living quarters if (when) needed.

Van Huskey
02-19-2011, 9:28 PM
That is a very personal issue and is compounded by not being just a shop bathroom.

For me there is no way I would spend that much on a shop bathroom.

Thats a Felder jointer/planer and a Minimax bandsaw!

OR several thousand board feet of wood.

Wes Billups
02-19-2011, 9:41 PM
Thanks for all the responses. My ultimate decision will greatly depend on what else we do. If we don't run a trench for natural gas, I'm stuck with electric or propane for heat. Since we use natural gas to heat the house I hate adding a propane tank and paying the extra. The only quote I've received for the gas line was $2000. My thought is it shouldn't be that much more to add a water line to the same trench. Then while we've got the trencher it would make sense to run a second trench to the septic system. The quotes are high but I'm thinking I may be able to do some of the work and get it down to $5-6000.

The plan would be to have a shower as well as toilet and sink since it'll double to be used for the pool.

I think I need to talk with a plumber as I'm not sure either of the general contractors took the time to get more accurate quotes. Their numbers seemed to be awfully round. One was $12,000 and the other was $14,000.

Thanks,
Wes

Bruce Wrenn
02-19-2011, 9:41 PM
First the septic system is usually sized based upon the number of bedrooms in a house. This is the best determiner of actual usage. Why not put a sump in and run effluent back to septic system using a "grinder pump." A "grinder pump" allows the use of lines as small as 1 1/2", though you will most likely need to use 2". Because its a "forced flow" you don't have to adhere to rate of fall tables (usually 1/4" per foot.) It only has to flow down hill. Run the gas line, and you will save a lot of money on heating shop. Seriously consider using hydronic heat in the floor. If shop roof allows, you could supplement the gas WH, which furnishes both domestic (bathroom) and radiant heat with solar panels. Usually gas is run independent of other utilities. Have you contacted local gas supplier about running the gas line. Utilities (gas company) are usually exempt from both permitting and inspection.They often do this at cost, or less, just to sell more gas. $12,000 seems a little ( a heck of a lot) high to me.

John Lifer
02-19-2011, 9:46 PM
No way would I spend that much on bathroom... Didn't add one to my shop. It's 125-140 ft to the house. But I'm in country and I can water the back grass just fine.
Would be nice addition.... The water would be my problem. Then keeping shop heated enough not to freeze in winter. I'd run a makeshift septic tank for the limited use. But it wouldn't be kosher in the city or subdivision.

Jim Laumann
02-19-2011, 9:59 PM
Ah - a subject I thought about when I built my shed - and gave up on it.

My shop is about 125-130' from the house. I live in a rural area - so I would have to had a full septic system - which now days must be a mound system. $15K for one of those is "cheap" - most are closer to $20-22K. No option to tie in to the house system - its on the wrong side of the house. I did get a grey water system put in - basicly a trench w/ drain file filled w/ rock - I have the floor drain running in to it, and a drain line for a scrub sink. The grey water system and a frost proof hydrant for water set me back about a $1000 (7 yrs ago).

As for now, I can step behind the shed, or head to the house when answering the call of nature.

A toilet may be a "need" some day, and if that day comes, it will be a composting toilet. They run $800-1000 depending on size (number of people its designed to handle).

Jim

Norman Hitt
02-20-2011, 12:00 AM
Wes, unless you would have to dig the trench/trenches through rock, you can rent a trencher for about $250/day and dig them yourself. Heck, you could even dig THREE trenches if it was mandatory, in one day. You could then use the PEX plastic pipe that comes in a roll, white or blue PEX water line and the Yellow Gas PEX line, and you could even install the 4" PVC or ABS Sewer line in the ditches. Hire the plumber do the work in the shop and make the connections at the shop and the house tp the lines you put in. This should reduce the costs substantially.

Joe Watson
02-20-2011, 12:44 AM
I think I need to talk with a plumber as I'm not sure either of the general contractors took the time to get more accurate quotes. Their numbers seemed to be awfully round. One was $12,000 and the other was $14,000.
Two years ago i put on a 22x22 addition to my house, master bedroom on top a full basement (basement will be my work shop).
Did all the work myself except for the excavation, masonry and shingles. While calling around general contractors for bids on the excavation and masonry i discovered a general contractor makes big bucks for doing the foot work you can do. Just on the excavation and masonry work i saved around 5,000 by being my own GC. Excavators know masons and vis-versa (all "them guys" know each other, and can point you to people they have worked with in the past). I would suggest you do some research and call around yourself. The hardest part (and it was a pain) is scheduling. Getting everything lined up on time; footings dug, footings poured, inspections; walls formed, slab prepped, inspection and dealing with the rain was tough, but well worth it to me, plus you learn alot if you have never done it before.

12k for a bathroom sounds like a lot to me (i put in a 12x6 bath, fully tiled shower and floor, used pex just about every where, pvc drain, etc. and spent around 1-1500 to completion (tied drain into current house septic)), but maybe you have an odd drainage for your septic.

But, i know if i every had a shop which was not connected to my house and the local building codes let the home owner do the work, i would have a bathroom in the shop.

Good luck in what ever you decide.

_

Josh Bowman
02-20-2011, 1:33 PM
Wes, my shop is detached and I did put a bath in. Since I did most all of it myself the cost for nominal. I even have a shower, but it just gets stuff piled in it for storage. Even with that I still would put the shower in, it only cost me 100 to 150 bucks for the "damaged" shower and a valve. I fretted over the hot water until at Lowes or Home Depot, I found a small tank 110 volt hot water heater. It's only a couple of gallons, if that. It will give you enough hot water to take a quick continous shower.....if you drop the soap, don't take time to pick it up or you'll get cold water, but it works fine. I didn't put a sink in the bath but rather a utility sink in the shop behind the bath. The hot water is more that enough for that. The drain pipe, supply, power, gas etc., all went into a common wide and deep trench. The shop build turned into a "might as well" project that included upgrading my houses electric to a 400 amp service (two 200 amp boxes). Having that trench dug allowed access to the houses utilities since it went right by the shop. The drain for the shop is the shallowest pipe in the trench and continues past my house and with a saddle connection I tapped into the septics main pipe. In our area it is allowable to have all these utilities in the same trench, if there is the correct depth and distance met.
Bottom line since I had a trench passing the shop going to the house and since all I had to do was extend a shallow trench to the septic tank, the cost of my bath was the price of PVC pipe. I also put a gas line to the shop for an old central split unit AC/gas furnace. My local gas company had no problem with me intalling the line as long as they furnished the pipe and fittings and I used the goop they recommended on the fittings, the pipe amounted to some kind of metal to plastic "weld" that they did and charged me about 100 bucks. A good friend of mine is a real plumber and he gave me advise. I did goof up and did not dig the drain out of the shop deep enough, after some quick reordering of the shower and toliet we corrected the problem and it works great. My bath also services a pool and it's really nice to just open it up and folks can come in wet and just do there business and leave, the unsealed concrete just absorbs the water.
Good luck, have fun and take lots and lots of pictures of were you bury stuff, they will be worth gold to you in the future. When you take the pictures use a ruler or 2x4 with foot markings on it to locate key stuff to the cornor of the buildings/trees/things that don't move.

Chris Fournier
02-20-2011, 5:40 PM
I've had two shops without a bathroom and my last shop has a bathroom - what a treat. No neck breaking runs to the house over ice and snow. No toilet dance at the back door as I fumble for the keys. This being said you are talking about a lot of money for the convenience unless you think that this out building is worth $15,000 more at resale time because it has a bathroom. Having water in the shop is very useful for many reasons other than the toilet.

The bathroom is a perfect place for your FWW and Raod & Track back issues.

paul cottingham
02-20-2011, 5:55 PM
I put a bathroom in my basement 2 years ago for 5,000 fixtures in. The reason I mention it in this context is my sewer is above grade in my basement, so i had to dig all the way to the back of my yard to get enough drop. We did all the work except excavating and final plumbing hookup. I would have done the same for a detached shop....but my bladder kinda demands that.

Scott T Smith
02-20-2011, 6:16 PM
My shop is 600' from my house, and it has a bathroom (with a urinal) along with radiant heating in the floor. Radiant heating is GREAT.

I find that I use the shop sink multiple times a day, and I would not want to be without it. I use the urinal several times a day as well, and rarely the toilet. I have yet to use the shower. The toilet is plumbed into a lift station that pumps the effluent to an existing septic tank, the sinks and urinal are on a "grey water" system that feeds a red oak tree.

The urinal was $35.00 used, plus another $135.00 for the valve. The laundry sink and associated valves was about $100.00. The sink and shower were ones that I picked up used, and have about $150.00 in them; primarily for the new plumbing. The water heater was new.

12K sounds high to me, but without question I would recommend at least a sink in the shop, and a urinal would be nice as well. You could probably use a grey water drain system for both, and skip the cost associated with a toilet, and do this for relatively low cost.

Rick Moyer
02-20-2011, 8:19 PM
Scott, although I often prefer the outdoor facilities, grey water is restricted to waste water from sinks and the like, not urinals. That would be black water in most jurisdictions, would be required to run to the septic system.

Jim Rimmer
02-20-2011, 9:02 PM
I had a detached shop built in '96 (so consider that when I mention prices). I had a water line run 100 ft for $1/ft. Gas line (propane) had to go by the shop anyway so got a free tee into the shop for a Dearborn stove. No hot water or bathroom but I picked up a slightly damaged sink at BORG for $10. Got the guy trenching for water to trench a gray water line for next to nothing and I laid the PVC. I loved having a sink for paint/finishing clean up; was close enough that bathroom wasn't needed (plastic bottles on hand). Would love to have the same set up again.

$15K seems awfully high to me. :eek:

David Prince
02-20-2011, 9:15 PM
$12,000 for the bathroom. Divide that by 365 days in a year figuring that you might use the toilet once a day on average for a shop environment. That is $32.88. Now spread that out over 30 years and you have $1.10 per flush. Is it worth that? After 30 years you might have to upgrade the septic and start all over again.

My shop is a half mile from my house, so I needed indoor plumbing, but if it were closer, I would probably try to skip it.

If money is no object, then I would put it in for the convenience.

Kevin Neal
02-21-2011, 12:17 PM
In answer to question #4 - Yes, water and gas lines can occupy the same trench. However, don't put sewer and gas lines in the same trench. Those need to be separated by a minimum 5 feet of undisturbed soil.

Water and gas are both pressurized systems. In the event of a leak, gas will not be able to infiltrate into the water line. Actually, since you are talking about a customer side gas line, your gas pressure is likely 8 ounces or less which means that the weight of the water would easily overcome the gas pressure and you would flood the gas line instead. Low pressure gas lines can get flooded just from heavy rains if there is a crack in the pipe.

Sewer on the other hand is a negative pressure, or atmospheric pressure, system. If you put a sewer line and a gas line next to each other, and have a leak in your gas line, it will seek out the path of least resistance. That would be the nice, big, open sewer line that leads right up into your shop or house. That's a good way to blow up your shop. If you have to cross a sewer line with a gas line, the gas should be on top (gas is lighter than air and will try to rise).

PE plastic pipe is the best way to go for natural gas. Do not use PVC for gas as it will become brittle. Also, make sure you bury a piece of copper wire along with your pipe so that it can be located in the future.

Steve Ryan
02-21-2011, 12:31 PM
Will there be a refrigerator with cold beer in it? Answer to that should steer you in the right direction.

David Helm
02-21-2011, 1:28 PM
My shop is about 60 feet from the house. I pee outside and take care of the other before going out to the shop. Not everyone who is old has prostate problems. Mostly it depends on the amount of coffee drunk (or other liquids). Only you can really determine the utility of installing a bathroom.

Steve Kohn
02-21-2011, 1:31 PM
My shop is attached to my garage. So I have to go thru the garage, into the house to use the bathroom. My wife always complains about the resulting sawdust around the toilet. I still kick myself for not having a sink and urinal installed when I built the shop. I really miss the running water more than the urinal.

My friends shop on the other hand has running cold water in it. It is plumbed so that he can add an electric inline heater if he wishes to. So far the cold water and slop sink meets his needs. He runs the drain to a gravel filled trench. His bathroom is the grass out back. Of course he also doesn't have neighbors living behind him like I do.

Bruce Wrenn
02-21-2011, 10:11 PM
Scott, although I often prefer the outdoor facilities, grey water is restricted to waste water from sinks and the like, not urinals. That would be black water in most jurisdictions, would be required to run to the septic system.Simple answer, pee in the sink. Lucky for me, neighbor behind owns 120+ acres, and the one beside me owns 40,000 acres. So I'm a whiz in the woods kinda guy. Plus I'm doing my part to save the environment. Saving water and fertilizing the trees, which help to remove carbon from the air. I guess I should sell my "carbon off sets."

Glen J. Peterson
02-25-2011, 1:45 PM
I put a 1/2 bath into the shop. I only seem to use the sink, but the water is nice to have.

Edward Clarke
04-16-2011, 10:23 AM
If you put a bathroom into the detached shop, does it convert the shop into living space for tax purposes? This could make the initial $15k look like chump change if you get re-assessed. This is the reason that I didn't put running water in my ex-horse barn ( now home to a small business ).

Wes Billups
04-16-2011, 6:49 PM
It's been a while but we just broke ground on Wednesday for the new shop. Gave up on dreams of a bathroom. In concession there will be a hydrant just outside the door. It' pretty exciting to see it finally start. Once I get a little more time I'll post progress reports and pictures.

Don Bullock
04-17-2011, 11:11 AM
It's been a while but we just broke ground on Wednesday for the new shop. .. It' pretty exciting to see it finally start. Once I get a little more time I'll post progress reports and pictures.

I know that feeling and it never goes away either. Congratulations on your pending shop construction. Yes, we want pictures.

Bruce Kohl
04-17-2011, 4:36 PM
When I built my detached shop two years ago I elected not to put in a bathroom. For me it was an issue of cost and space - I'd rather use the money for tools and not take up valuable shop space with a bathroom. I did have the drain and water rough-in done under the slab in case I wanted to add it later.

My shop is about 150 feet from the house so getting there to take care of business can be a chore. Luckily we have a couple of acres with lots of trees. so I'm not always having to make a mad dash to the house (although for obvious reasons I wouldn't necessarily advocate this for you). Keep in mind that we are all getting older so more frequent trips to the john are likely in your future.

As far as your other questions, the price for the installation of the bathroom sounds a little high to me based on what going rates for construction are around here. However, are they just roughing-in the bathroom within the perimeter of the existing shell, or is additional space being constructed to create the bathroom? Obviously makes a big difference on cost.

Depending on your local codes you could add a small septic tank and field dedicated just to the bathroom, but that probably would cost more than the hook-up to the existing septic system.

Around here I believe the water and gas lines can run in the same trench, but you need to check your local codes or with the building inspector. Running the gas line to the shop is a separate issue. Having natural gas to heat the shop is nice in a cold climate, as I believe Topeka can be.

Another factor is potential salability of the property. Would it enhance the value of the property and sale potential to have a bathroom? Probably yes. Also, could either you or a future owner convert the shop into something else, like a guesthouse - or a pool cabana? That would make the space more attractive with a bathroom already installed, and thus improve salability of the property. Also, you said that the bathroom would also service a pool - better to have the kids going in your shop than in the pool.

Personally, if it's just going to be a shop I'd rough-in the drain and water under the floor and skip the bathroom for now, and instead spend the money on upgrading your tools. But then I don't have a pool next to the shop.

Roy Turbett
04-17-2011, 8:50 PM
When I built my detached shop 15 years ago I ran the water, electric, telephone and cable TV in the same trench and the inspectors didn't have a problem with it. My shop is built on sandy soil and I made a dry well out of a 55 gal drum for a floor drain and slop sink. I added a 5 gal electric hot water heater that turns on and off with the lights. A couple of years ago when the little girl next door entered pre-school I became concerned about her seeing me "wave the flag" outdoors so I added a urinal in the shop with an inexpensive ball valve so I can run lots of water to flush it. I have as many as 10 friends at a time in my shop and this setup works fine. I also hung a shower curtain that can be closed on the rare occasion women are in the shop. The natural gas line to my shop is in its own trench and I heat my shop with overhead radiant heat.

Tom Clark FL
04-18-2011, 12:13 PM
There are always many ways to get the job done. When I had my current shop built, they said that if I had it roughed in for a toilet, the bathroom would have to meet code, which meant a huge minimum size, and even though the shop is large, it did not make sense to give up that much shop space.

I found a local plumber who would do the job after the building was finished. I built the walls 4' x 4'6". That is plenty big enough for a toilet and sink. We used a simple system. A simple tank is buried in the ground, and has a macerator and pump that allows the 150' run to the septic using 2" pvc. Total cost was about $1500. No hot water tank was used, but for $10,000 washing hands and brushes in cold water is fine!

After 12 years system works trouble free.

David Weaver
04-18-2011, 12:36 PM
I'd use an empty jug and walk it back to the house when your wife isn't around.

No way I'd spend that much to put a john in the shop, because if you ever decide to sell, nobody else will ever see that kind of value in it.

Matt Meiser
04-18-2011, 1:06 PM
Tom, for about $200 you can get a 2.5gal hot water heater that plugs into a 110 outlet.

ray hampton
04-18-2011, 2:23 PM
Tom, for about $200 you can get a 2.5gal hot water heater that plugs into a 110 outlet.

if he got hot water why do he need a water heater
I would run the water pipes to the building and install a sink for washing in case of a emergency

David Weaver
04-18-2011, 2:34 PM
So I'm a whiz in the woods kinda guy.

This seems reasonable to me, too. Watch out for the ticks, though!

Scott T Smith
04-18-2011, 2:48 PM
In answer to question #4 - Yes, water and gas lines can occupy the same trench. However, don't put sewer and gas lines in the same trench. Those need to be separated by a minimum 5 feet of undisturbed soil.

Water and gas are both pressurized systems. In the event of a leak, gas will not be able to infiltrate into the water line. Actually, since you are talking about a customer side gas line, your gas pressure is likely 8 ounces or less which means that the weight of the water would easily overcome the gas pressure and you would flood the gas line instead. Low pressure gas lines can get flooded just from heavy rains if there is a crack in the pipe.

Sewer on the other hand is a negative pressure, or atmospheric pressure, system. If you put a sewer line and a gas line next to each other, and have a leak in your gas line, it will seek out the path of least resistance. That would be the nice, big, open sewer line that leads right up into your shop or house. That's a good way to blow up your shop. If you have to cross a sewer line with a gas line, the gas should be on top (gas is lighter than air and will try to rise).

PE plastic pipe is the best way to go for natural gas. Do not use PVC for gas as it will become brittle. Also, make sure you bury a piece of copper wire along with your pipe so that it can be located in the future.

+1.

I would strongly encourage you to run water to the shop; I have it in mine and would not wish to be without it.

One other option is to skip the septic line, and install a urinal (since that's what most shop guys use the most), and plumb the urinal and sink to a "grey water" french drain system out behind the shop. You should be able to do the whole thing yourself for less than 2K, including trencher rental, pipe, sink, urinal, etc.

Go ahead and put in the plumbing for a toilet, just don't install it. If you ever want to add it, simply reroute the pipe from your grey water drainfield to the septic tank instead.

John Cooper2
04-18-2011, 2:51 PM
Have one in mine and a shower too, never have used the shower, but the toilet most everyday. Did the work myself so the cost was minimal. Wife is happy too, when she is out in the yard working it is a great place to wash up before going into the house.

John

ray hampton
04-18-2011, 4:23 PM
you can dig a ditch without using a ditch-witch if you own a good roto-tiller and not too many rocks

Scott T Smith
04-19-2011, 3:52 PM
Scott, although I often prefer the outdoor facilities, grey water is restricted to waste water from sinks and the like, not urinals. That would be black water in most jurisdictions, would be required to run to the septic system.

Rick, I'm sure that you're correct re code.

From a practical standpoint though, I don't think that there is much difference between hooking a urinal up to a grey water line versus taking a whiz on the ground behind the shop... If anything, the grey water line route should be preferred by the rural shop owner (unless you're a "whiz in the woods kinda guy like Bruce...) since the water would dilute the urine, and any potential unwanted odors....

Neil Davie
04-20-2011, 9:01 AM
First off, $12,000 is way too much for the bathroom. I installed one in my last detached shop, and probably didn't add more than $1500 to the cost. I did all the work myself except the trench, which I had done for $100. The elevation to the septic was adequately downhill, which is an important factor. Hot water was not installed, and I'm not sure why one would. Also, it was in Texas, where extra concerns of freezing were not an issue - the shop was already planned to be heavily insulated for the heat pump to handle the heating/air conditioning.
I was very pleased to have the 1/2 bath for both the brush cleaning and the trips to the john. Wouldn't be without it.