PDA

View Full Version : Onboard GPS vs. Portable GPS in a Car

Pat Germain
02-19-2011, 12:00 PM
Greetings, comrades.

I'm looking at buying a new car for Mrs. Patrick. After much research and some test drives, we've settled on the Subaru Legacy. (It's pretty much the official Colorado State car we must have all wheel drive.) The only sticking point is whether we should opt for onboard GPS or just go with a portable unit stuck to the window.

I very much want Mrs. Patrick to have a GPS. (She gets lost easily. :)) We like the "Premium" edition Legacy just fine. But in order to get onboard navigation on a Legacy, you have to get the higher-end "Limited" edition. The Limited has a lot of extra "gingerbread" which, of course, ups the price. Furthermore, in order to get onboard navigation on the Limited, you must also opt for a sunroof. Overall, a Limited with a sunroof is a nicer car than a Premium. And I'm a USAA member and can get an excellent deal on any Subaru. But I'm not sure it's worth the extra cost. (We're talking a few thousand.)

Therefore, I would be interested in your experiences with using a portable GPS in a car vs. using onboard GPS. I would rather not buy a new car and stick a portable unit to the window with a power cord dangling across the dash. I would also rather not worry about making sure the GPS was always removed when we lock the car lest some thief smash a window to steal it. I like the fact the onboard GPS units have a larger display than a portable unit. But again, I'm not sure the cost is justified.

Thanks!

Von Bickley
02-19-2011, 1:11 PM
I have been on several trips where we used a portable GPS (2 different units) and both units worked fine.

Took one trip from SC to Nebraska, it took us thru Atlanta, Memphis, St. Louis and on to our destination in Nebraska with no problems.

Mike Henderson
02-19-2011, 1:34 PM
The advantage of the on-board is that it's easier to use. It's there and ready to go when you want to use it.

The disadvantage is that electronics technology changes much faster than car technology. What I mean by that is that better GPS systems will come out over the years but you won't be able to upgrade the on-board system. For example, you can get GPS systems now that receive information on congestion. That's extremely valuable when you're planning your route. I even had a situation when traveling cross country where we hit bumper-to-bumper traffic and were able to see that it only existed for a short distance.

The disadvantage of the portable system is that you either leave it on your dash, plugged in all the time, where it might get stolen, or you have to take it out, turn it on (which takes a long time) go through the set up sequence, the GPS has to acquire the satellites, etc., etc. If you don't leave it set up all the time, you don't use it much.

I have the on-board and like it but I sure wish I was able to upgrade it as the technology changed.

Mike

Eduard Nemirovsky
02-19-2011, 2:01 PM
Mike mention a very good points. Just from my experience:
1.I have both units - in-car and portable. I used portable already in two trips to Europe and very happy that I have my own unit with easily replaceable or updated maps.
2. mine old BMW with navigation system - working well, but it is already old unit with impossible to upgrade. I can buy a DVD with a new map. But system is old - no traffic info, DVD much more expensive then update for portable unit. Can not add destination point to car navigation over internet or phone, or Google map.
3. You can use portable unit for walking trips, or bike trips. Some portable units has a bluetooth connection for a phone or music.

Ed.

Myk Rian
02-19-2011, 2:01 PM
You don't have to stick a portable to the windshield for it to work. We keep ours (Garmin) low on the dash.
You can buy a heck of a nice portable for less than an in-dash unit, and updating the maps is as easy as plugging it into your computer with a USB cable.
You can add points-of-interest, speed traps, speed limits, extra maps, etc. to a portable.
Thieves tear the living daylights out of your dash to get the unit out.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-19-2011, 2:09 PM
I just got my first GPS back in August.

We bought it at Costco and have been quite happy with it.

We picked up a weighted "bean bag" to attach the suction cup GPS stand and it resides on the console when we are using it. When we aren't using it and we are on a trip..if it's warm we put it in the console out of sight....if it's cold, the power cord goes into the console and it goes into the hotel with us.

Pat Germain
02-19-2011, 2:16 PM
Great information. Thanks, guys.

I've been doing some number crunching. Subaru is offering 1.9% financing. So, if I opt for the higher end car, the finance costs will be minimal. I think I'd like to actually see the two cars side by side to compare. We just might like the extra gingerbread, to include the sunroof, in the higher end car.

Rick Moyer
02-19-2011, 2:18 PM
We have a Suburban that has in dash NAV, but we haven't had it long enough to really use it yet. It's basically the wife's vehicle but I set up the NAV for her. She also has/had a Garmin portable in the last vehicle. I actually think I like the Garmin a little better, although I'm not exactly sure why. Also as Myk said, you don't have to set it on the dash. We purchased a specific mount for the vehicle called a ProClip that mounts very securely. Then it's just a matter of popping off the unit when necessary and putting it out of sight.
Just think of that new tool you could buy with the "few thousand" savings!! ;)

David G Baker
02-19-2011, 2:18 PM
Don't know if it was mentioned but the cost of the on-board GPS costs a lot more than a portable unit and as has been mentioned the on-board unit will not keep up with the changes in the technology. It is, on occasion a pain to bring my portable unit along on trips but it has never failed me.

Graham Wintersgill
02-19-2011, 3:01 PM
Pat

It looks as though Subaru use Kenwood units and have a double DIN hole. You could probably replace the supplied unit with a in dash sat nav unit which will also include Bluetooth and maybe iPod/iPhone integration.

Regards

John Gustafson
02-19-2011, 3:18 PM
We have a Garmin Nuvi 350 which is obsolete but still works fine for what we do. I like the portable simply because I can move it from vehicle to vehicle. NEVER been able to justify more than one. We use the bean bag mount, never could get the vacuum cup on the windshield to stay on there. Leave the car, we just move it under the seat. Go somewhere by plane, it goes with for the rental car. Bought a lifetime map upgrade and about every 6 months I plug it in to my desktop and let it run for a couple of hours (satellite internet, good as I can get here).

Like all of these things, local knowledge rules. There are a few quirks in the software but I suspect it's not limited to Garmin. For example going from point A to point B. If there are reasonable options it may well take you to point B one way and then back to point A a totally different way. I have no idea what causes that. Neither way is wrong, just different. Pronunciation by the computer can also be a trip. Best one so far was Silverpines Street in Webster TX. Garmin insisted it was Silver Penis Street.

Lee Schierer
02-19-2011, 3:22 PM
I would opt for the portable device. On board systems have exorbitant update costs as you can only get them from the dealer who also adds cost. The portable device will also work on rental cars, trips with friends in their cars and just riding around the neighbor hood on your bike. If the car is sold or (shudder) wrecked, you also lose the GPS. I don't know what features you in car unit offers, but you can get portable ones with Traffic, FM transmitters to broadcast to your car radio, blue tooth and music form SD cards. You can put several dozen CDs on a good size SD card.

Bob Turkovich
02-19-2011, 3:42 PM
I've been using a portable Garmin with the bean bag for a few years and like the portability. Took it on a vacation trip to California a couple of years ago - kids named it Rhonda (as in "Help me, Rhonda".....60's joke:p). One time in Beckley, WV - on a short jaunt from the restaurant to the hotel - it put us in somebody's backwoods driveway.:eek: Other than that, it's been very reliable.

BTW, Pat - I have no idea how tall you and the Mrs. are but make sure you are comfortable with the sunroof before buying. The sunroof mechanism typically takes over an inch of headroom clearance away. That prevented me from doing a package upgrade on my last car purchase.

Van Huskey
02-19-2011, 3:49 PM
We have had 4 different built in GPS units (BMW, Mercedes, Lexus and Infiniti). We keep buting them because they make the dash look sexy... I travel a LOT all over the east by car and my travel car doesn't have GPS, I prefer my portable ones. One thing I love is I take it in with me and plan all my routes for the next day, great even if it isn't work if you are on a trip. It takes maybe 20 seconds to acquire once turned on (unless you turn it on moving then it can take a minute or so). It is easy to take inside hook up to the computer and update it. I could but between 3 and 10 portables (depending on the features) for what I paid for the in-dash versions.

In the end we will we likely continue to buy cars with in-dash navigation because of the sexy factor and the cool way some of them integrate into the sub-systems of the car (a negative if you are a drive the wheels off person because if it dies you either fix it, big bucks, or go without heat and A/C etc on some cars).

I think they are great use them all the time but I honestly don't car whether it is in or on dash. One thing I would say is find out more about the Subaru GPS (Subaru forums etc) because, they are NOT all created equal. On that I can't help as the last time I was even in a Subaru it was pre-GPS days. They are great cars especially if you live where you live. Subaru often blends into the background outside the snow belt since they don't do halo cars nor even anything fast or sexy but they have reliability and dependability just a hair below Honda and Toyota (line wide) which is pretty great indeed.

Curt Harms
02-20-2011, 8:51 AM
I have a discontinued Pioneer unit. 5.8" display, has a slot for USB or SDHC cards for music or video, can be wired into the vehicle's audio system. I don't use any of it but the blue tooth phone is, I think, worth having. The audio is usable, not great but would probably sound better if it were coming through the vehicle's speakers. In this part of the world laws are proliferating forbidding using hand-held communications devices while driving. Using the GPS makes it handsfree. There is software (windows only :mad:) to be able to plot a route on google maps then save to an SDHC card to plug into the gadget. I could also save my own POIs to a SDHC card if I chose to.

I found a mount for portable GPSs that fit my device. I took a piece of heavy sheet metal and formed a hook that will hang from the dash trim. I bolted the mount to the sheet metal hook. This puts the device about 8" below the dash. I don't have to look down to see the map while driving and it isn't obstructing any part of the windshield. There's a ratching button to tighten the jaws and another button to release. Not sexy but it works.

"Pronunciation by the computer can also be a trip. Best one so far was Silverpines Street in Webster TX. Garmin insisted it was Silver Penis Street."

This part of the world has a lot of two word names that are spelled as one word from colonial times, for example applebutter. If it were spelled apple butter, the pronunciation would likely be correct or nearly so. (See, the spell checker doesn't think applebutter is right either:p) That may be the case with Silverpines as well; if it were spelled Silver Pines it may be pronounced correctly. See the thread here about people that can't write-or spell:D

Larry Edgerton
02-20-2011, 9:10 AM
On that I can't help as the last time I was even in a Subaru it was pre-GPS days. They are great cars especially if you live where you live. Subaru often blends into the background outside the snow belt since they don't do halo cars nor even anything fast or sexy but they have reliability and dependability just a hair below Honda and Toyota (line wide) which is pretty great indeed.

Really? I take it you have not driven a WRX.

I got whacked last year by a guy that admitted he was looking at his navigation system instead of the road. So I am not a big fan, especially as I ride motorcycles. I think they need to put them in all cars, but eliminate the screen unless the car is in park. The voice commands are sufficient when the car is moving, and if they don't have voice commands they should not be in the car. If I had been on my bike instead of my truck I would probably not be typing this right now.

Jerome Stanek
02-20-2011, 9:57 AM
I would go for the portable that way she can have it when her car is in being serviced and if she would rent a car also they are not any harder to program than the on board units.

Brian Kent
02-20-2011, 10:11 AM
I have the on-board system, which on a Honda currently costs $2,200 extra. The screen and controls are easy to use, either visually or by listening to the voice when driving. I'm glad in my business to have it. A map at night is more dangerous for me that a screen with a voice. Add to the cost that we on the spot agreed to the extended warrantee and replacement cost guarantee - the sucker add-ons that we have never needed on a Honda.

While I love the system, my son can get information just as fast on his iPhone. The iPhone cost about $300 plus a $25 per month data plan. Next time around if the premium is as high on the in-dash system I'll go for the iPhone and find a holder that blends with surroundings.

I had an on the dash gps before the built-in, and of those two I much prefer the integrated system.

Bill Huber
02-20-2011, 10:15 AM
I really like my Garmin, I can take it with me when I go somewhere with others or when I fly somewhere and rent a car. I also have a 10" laptop with Street Atlas installed and a USB GPS which is really great when you are just out driving to see the sites, you can get a much better look at the area you are in.

The Street Atlas is a really cheap way to go if you have a laptop, it sells for $50 with the USB GPS. You can also record your trip and play it back later just to see where all you were.

Brian Elfert
02-20-2011, 12:36 PM
My brother bought a 2004 Acura with built-in GPS. I don't think there were many portable units at the time. The problem is it costs as much as a new portable GPS to update the maps. I don't know that my brother has ever updated the maps.

My brother would get going to the corner store so GPS is a godsend for him.

Mike Henderson
02-20-2011, 12:40 PM
My brother bought a 2004 Acura with built-in GPS. I don't think there were many portable units at the time. The problem is it costs as much as a new portable GPS to update the maps. I don't know that my brother has ever updated the maps.

My brother would get going to the corner store so GPS is a godsend for him.
For many of the in-car GPS systems, you can purchase a one year old DVD from someone who did upgrade - and get it at a greatly reduced price. Streets don't change that quickly that a one year old map is a problem.

Mike

Caspar Hauser
02-20-2011, 2:18 PM
If you remember to take it with you a portable unit will guide you back to your car.

This can be useful.

Eric Franklin
02-20-2011, 2:57 PM
On the built-in units, you are limited on can be done while driving down the road, which can be a good thing in some circumstances.

Shawn Pixley
02-20-2011, 3:15 PM
While I like the concept of in dash navigation, the price and quality doesn't match my bean bag mounted 4 year old Garmin. When we needed to get a new car the in dash GPS was 1800$. The challenge of updating it vs our existing land based GPS didn't warrant the premium pricetag.

I personally like the Garmin interface (I have a marine, hiking and road based GPS). I am used to the interface and fon't have to think hard when I really need info fast. My 0.02$

Pat Germain
02-21-2011, 8:50 AM
Well, this has certainly been a most informative discussion. Thanks again for all the great info.

It seems almost everyone is perfectly happy with a portable GPS. Considering the initial cost of an onboard system, plus the high cost of updating them, I think I will likely pass on the onboard Subaru GPS.

I will start looking for a high-end portable unit with a large display and nice mount kit.

Phil Thien
02-21-2011, 8:58 AM
My BlackBerry phone has GPS built into it, it has never let me down. It is handy because if someone E-Mail's me an address, I can read that E-Mail on the phone, then cut and paste the address into the GPS application on the phone.

I don't typically talk on the phone while I drive. For people that need to talk while driving, it probably isn't the greatest solution.

Callan Campbell
02-21-2011, 9:06 AM
Pat, as someone who's worked in the automotive world for about 25 years, I can easily state the following. Factory GPS units fit nice, look great with their often larger display screeens, and also often have lots of intergration with the rest of the vehicle by way of stored info/ steering wheel button controls or phone system tie-in etc., BUT, the factory support for these systems seems to evaporate much faster than if you buy a portable unit that you mount on the dash or windshield once you figure out where to put it. The factory systems are more complex, typically have more parts, like a sep. display screen, a sep. ECU/Nav unit, and a roof mounted ANT. on some vehicles to help improve Sat. recep. Getting any of these parts for a repair once the vehicle ages and is no longer new seems to be the key problem. Once the inventory is scarce or out, then you're hunting for rebuilt units if they're even available. If you have an ext. warranty on a vehicle, and they even cover any part of the NAV system, they'll always want to replace a failed ECU/Unit with a rebuilt one due to the cost difference of new versus rebuilt. You rarely end up with a "new" system once the vehicle is out of warranty.
With GARMIN, and all the rest, you can upload or buy update maps for what seems like years after you've bought the unit, which is needed since roads and intersections are not static, and do get moved or closed/open from time to time with road reconstruction. Points of interest or POI are nice if they're current too, and not like a store or restuarant that's been closed for months but is still on your older, non-updated map info database of your system. You don't have the "cool" features or built-in ability of a "new car" system, but with some care, you end up with a long term tool that generally seems updatable long after the new car systems have vanished into the junk yard.

Bill Huber
02-21-2011, 9:52 AM
Great information. Thanks, guys.

I've been doing some number crunching. Subaru is offering 1.9% financing. So, if I opt for the higher end car, the finance costs will be minimal. I think I'd like to actually see the two cars side by side to compare. We just might like the extra gingerbread, to include the sunroof, in the higher end car.

Just remember no GPS is perfect, they will not always give you the shortest or the best route. If they can find the address they will get you there but they may send you on a route that is way out of the way.

I have the Garmin 1450 with a 5" screen and it works great but one time it took me on a route for almost 25 miles and when I got to where I was going I realized that I was only about 10 miles from were I started.

I would also stick with one of the 3 big guns, Garmin, TomTom or Magellan. I can buy the Gramin 1450 for around $130 but if you want life time map updates that will cost you $75 so make sure you watch that part of the it.

I would also say if you do not do a lot of go to work type driving where the traffic can be really bad don't get that feature on the GPS, just get what you really need, less is better IMHO. My wife is not a real high tech person but she has no problem with the 1450, it just has the things she really needs.

Brian Elfert
02-21-2011, 10:07 AM
Bill is right about GPS not always choosing the right route. I took my mom with me on a trip to Atlanta. She brought her portable GPS. It wanted me to take a route I knew was way out of the way. I just followed my own route and the GPS quickly recalculated and had me on the right path.

Rob Steffeck
02-21-2011, 11:42 AM
My BlackBerry phone has GPS built into it, it has never let me down. It is handy because if someone E-Mail's me an address, I can read that E-Mail on the phone, then cut and paste the address into the GPS application on the phone.

I don't typically talk on the phone while I drive. For people that need to talk while driving, it probably isn't the greatest solution.

Google maps on my iPhone is pretty nice as well, however it relies on the cell network. A few of the times I needed direction help the most, I had no or very limited cell service.

Jim Mattheiss
02-21-2011, 7:59 PM
LOML has the built in GPS in her minivan. It's beginning to have issues - i.e. read issues with the CD and such.

If if dies we will go portable - Garmin. An uber-techie I work with loves Garmin. It seems to have a "learning" mode that if you consistently "override" it's "suggestions" it will use your "override" as the primary option.

We gave one to my Dad for X-Mas last year and he likes it and he's almost a technical-Luddite. (In modern usage, "Luddite" is a term describing those opposed to industrialisation, automation, computerisation or new technologies in general- stole from wiki).

Cheers

Jim

Jim Becker
02-27-2011, 7:53 PM
I prefer built-in for my personal vehicles. Both Professor Dr. SWMBO's 2008 Prius and my 2006 Highlander Hybrid have them and they have worked very, very well. I recently updated the map DVD on mine to be more current on both roads/routs and POI. That said, some of the portables really give a lot of value for the money compared to built-ins, especially if you don't normally opt for the "top editions" of the cars you buy. Built-in nav systems often require high-end packages to be on your vehicle to get them. That's not an issue for us since we generally go that way, but for folks who generally opt for the more moderate packages, built-in nav systems are not always going to be available.