PDA

View Full Version : Time is not on my side!!

Tim Farrell
01-19-2005, 9:56 AM
As many people on the creek have noted, it is difficult to find regular or substantial time to be in the shop. As a consequence, I regularly find myself leaving a project sitting around the shop for a week or more in various states of completion.

My question is this... I have had a couple pieces of cherry warp recently (they were cut to size, fitted, even sanded) because of this.
How can I store materials given that it may be a week or more between shop time.

thanks in advance

Dennis McDonaugh
01-19-2005, 10:07 AM
Tim, I have had similar problems and the only solution I could come up with was not to stop until I was at a place where I could clamp things together temporarily. I have a sofa table on top of my bench as we speak. Its assembled and clamped together. This weekend I'll take it apart and sand all the parts before I glue it up. I have left other projects in similar states for up to a month at a time. You can also leave them assembled in smaller sections.

Mike Cutler
01-19-2005, 11:04 AM
I do the same as Dennis. It's a pain, but we all gotta pay the mortgage.
I've been working on a large bookshelf desk project, and with the weather varying from 10 to 55 degrees as of late it's a pain. I've been hauling all the finished pieces to be glued from the shop to the basement for gluing, and it looks like I'll have to some work in the basement and then take the material out to the shop for dry fit. I've got tools and brazillian cherry spread out all over the place.
I have two pieces of brazillian cherry that are 10' x14" that cupped on me. I'll have to wait until spring to do some "river magic" to them to get the cupping out. Hopefully it works, I've never done it with "Jatoba" before. :rolleyes:

Scott Banbury
01-19-2005, 11:07 AM
Next time you have to stop at that point, wrap it in plastic and tapoe it up good so that it doesn't gain or lose moisture asd the weather changes and at least store it so that it gets equal air on all sides.

Also, be advised that your glue surfaces will have to be scraped or sanded if left for more than a few days. Otherwise, oxidation of the wood surface can result in poor glue performance.