PDA

View Full Version : Sorby Micro Spiralling Head & Cutter Set

Greg Just
02-19-2011, 9:39 AM
Does anyone own this texturing tool, the Sorby Micro Spiralling Head & Cutter Set? Hartville Tools has it on sale for $34 without a handle.

Paul Douglass
02-19-2011, 10:53 AM
I have one. So far I have only played with it a little. It works. At least for what I have tried.

Joe Kaufman
02-19-2011, 11:04 AM
For me, it works well on Hard Maple, Cocobolo, Kingwood etc. On relative softer woods, Walnut, Soft Maple it will start tearing out sections of the spiral if you try to go much more than half of the depth of the cutter. Also purchased the texturing cutter, but haven’t tried it yet. The bearing is a brass bushing, so lubricate it frequently. My minimum lathe speed is 500 rpm, so the cutter can rotate can rotate quite fast and it takes some force against the wood to cut. The shank of the tool is metric.
It’s fun to experiment with…….
Joe

Tim Thiebaut
02-19-2011, 11:28 AM
I have the full size version of this tool and have recently started useing it and it works very well, this past week I made my own depth guage for helping me guage the depth in lidded boxes, HF's and that type of stuff, I made the cross beam out of mahagony and the knob on the brass plunger out of cocobolo...on the knob I actualy made a Knurling effect such as you would find on knurled knobs in metal working, I was thrilled to get that pattern to work for me. It takes some practise and experimenting but once you start getting the hang of it the effects are almost limitless.

Steve Kubien
02-19-2011, 12:44 PM
I have the Gladstone version and it is so similar to this that I suspect they come from the same assembly line. I like it and use it mostly for texturing.