PDA

View Full Version : Turning Burls

Mike Turner
02-19-2011, 6:56 AM
I have never turned any burls but have noticed some while taking some walks lately and would like to know what precautions one should take when turning these...Ideally Im sure it would be best to turn these outside to avoid any respiratory problems but would a respiratory and good dust collector take care of this for the most part? And any other help/ideas would be helpful? Do you turn these as quick as you can after cutting them down or can you wait a while or do you need to wait to let them dry some? Thanks !!

John Keeton
02-19-2011, 7:06 AM
Mike, I don't think burls present any particular dangers or concern of a respiratory nature other than the usual concerns regarding wood dust. I don't do anything different.

Most burls I have turned have been dry. I did have one that was a little damp in the bottom, and the distortion was pretty quick and dramatic. Burls distort differently than straight grain wood, and some folks like the appearance. I prefer them not to for the type of work I do. Hard to fit a lid/finial/pedestal if the wood is moving much.

I would probably harvest the burls, anchorseal the open cuts, and let them dry. Others may have a different approach.

Jack Mincey
02-19-2011, 9:32 AM
Burls are like any other wood except as John said, they do move differently than straight grain wood does as they dry. If they are all pin burl they don't move as much as normal wood does, and if they are layered type of burl they can move more than you might ever think possible. The one danger with burls is the possibility for a bark inclusion that makes them likely to separate from centrifugal force when turning. If I notice a bark inclusion in any blank that looks like a problem I cut the blank down to something smaller to avoid having a large inclusion to deal with. One of my friends that also turns has been hurt fairly badly twice now trying to turn large bowls that came apart along a bark inclusion. It just isn't worth the risk in my opinion.
Good Luck,
Jack

Gary Max
02-19-2011, 10:01 AM
This brings up a great point, no matter how much time you take and how safe you are, getting hit by a block of spinning wood can ruin you whole day. You just never know what kind of surprises lay waiting for you.

Steve Schlumpf
02-19-2011, 10:06 AM
Mike - I treat burls just like any other wood but like Jack mentions - you really have to pay attention to what is or isn't in the wood while turning. I like to turn burls that have voids because it can create a very dramatic effect when finished but you have to make sure the wood is sound. Often there is bark or punky areas within the burl - so stop and check it if you hear anything sound different while turning! Also - no matter how pretty the wood - be safe! No wood out there is worth getting injured over!