PDA

View Full Version : DWR Gloat

Kathy Marshall
02-19-2011, 2:26 AM
Today was the 1st day of the Desert Woodturning Roundup and it sucked me into the vortex just a little deeper :eek:
I checked out the vendors and tried out Lyle Jamisons captured hollowing rig. What a pleasure to use! The difference between that and hand held hollowers can't even be compared.
So it sucked the credit card out of my pocket and begged to come home with me :D
183211 183212
Got home at about 7:30 and just had to get it set up and give it a try. I used a piece of mulberry that I had roughed the outside and drilled the inside on Thursday. The laser makes it so easy, you always know exactly where the cutter tip is.

I also stopped by Doug Thompson's booth and picked up a couple of bowl gouges. Just need to make a couple of handles. Can't wait to try them out!

Along with my pucker factor piece, I submitted these 2 pieces in the instant gallery.
The 1st is shoestring acacia, about 5-6" x 3 1/2" or so, DO and WOP.
The 2nd piece is Pine, 11" x about 4 1/2 or so, finished in tung oil.

Tomorrow the demonstrations start. It's going to be a busy day!

Scott Hubl
02-19-2011, 2:50 AM
Sounds like your having a Blast Kathy!

Congrats on the gouges and the Lyle Jamieson Captured Hollowing Rig, your gonna love that, they are Sweet.

Nice turnings you submitted.

Have Fun.

Michelle Rich
02-19-2011, 6:57 AM
The Vortex has pulled you in. You are doomed for eternity. Those pieces are just super. You seem to have wonderful wood where you live, also. Your skills are growing at a rapid rate. Screaming really. It's fun to watch you scream by...

John Keeton
02-19-2011, 7:02 AM
Congrats, Kathy!! That certainly will make hollowing more enjoyable, and the Thompson gouges are the best IMO!

Nice work on the submissions - particularly like the shoestring acacia form.

Roger Chandler
02-19-2011, 8:50 AM
That's okay Kathy, others would not understand the VORTEX, but you are amongst friends here.................we understand the pull. Great rig, that Jamison system. I gave it the once over more than one time at our symposium last October, just did not want to pull the trigger without getting info on the Monster rig as well.

Very nice forms................have a great time at the DWR!

Cathy Schaewe
02-19-2011, 9:14 AM
Wow, those are gorgeous! Great job on the finish, too! I'm really impressed!
Enjoy the new hollowing rig -
I envy you being able to go to DWR - have fun!

Pete Jordan
02-19-2011, 9:17 AM
Congrats Kathy! Looks like a ton of fun!

Can I ask you where you got your light?

Donny Lawson
02-19-2011, 10:14 AM
Those are some great looking gallery pieces. I love the finish. It just jumps out there. GREAT JOB..

Steve Schlumpf
02-19-2011, 11:39 AM
Congrats on your new hollowing system! Have fun with it and remember to keep the laser adjusted!

Nice looking turnings! Should grab a lot of attention!

charlie knighton
02-19-2011, 12:52 PM
very nice pieces for the instant gallery, congratulations on the hollowing rig, Lyle has a newsletter he emails

thanks for the roundup headups, updates would be nice

David E Keller
02-19-2011, 1:17 PM
Congrats on the goodies! I hope you have a blast at the DWR.

Baxter Smith
02-19-2011, 2:57 PM
Nice work on your turnings. Congratulations on the new hollowing rig. I guess that is just one of the dangers of attending such an event!:)

Allen stagg
02-19-2011, 7:11 PM
Great job on your purchase. I love my Jamieson system. Might as well go ahead and go to his website and get a jumbo bar also as you will need it and might as well have it on hand when you need it. I love mine. I just turned a mesquite piece and is about 14" deep and the jumbo bar came in real handy at that depth. Congrats. Also, Lyle Jamieson is great and he is very receptive on phone calls when needed if you every have any turning questions and he is a realmaster turner. Great guy. May want to get an extra laser and can be bought at many places for less then his replacement ones. They don't last real long expecially when you are going deep as vibration starts when going deep.

Kathy Marshall
02-20-2011, 3:01 AM
Thanks Everyone!

Having a great time! Today I watched the demonstrations Mike Mahoney and the Mcnaughtons Coring System, Lyle Jamieson Hollowing Fundamentals, Christian Buchard Spheres and Spherical Vessels and the tail end of Christians Turning Green Wood (stayed up too late playing with the new coring system and over slept :eek: ) . Lots of great info and new things to try.

I've met a couple of Creekers, Ray Bell who is attending the DWR and Michael James who is in town visiting family, he came by the DWR to pick up a little wood package I put together for him. Nice to meet Creekers and put faces to the names!

More demos tomorrow!

Congrats Kathy! Looks like a ton of fun!

Can I ask you where you got your light?

Pete, I picked up the light at Woodcraft and I really like it! It's AC/DC with a good strong magnet on the bottom. Depending on what I'm turning, I place it on the banjo, headstock, tailstock or even the bed. I think it was on sale when I bought it for about 19.00, not sure what regular price is.

Doug Thompson
02-20-2011, 9:14 AM
It was good to meet everyone at this show, the convention center is perfect and the weather with a little rain is better than home.

Hollowing systems like the Jamison or Monster are very simple to use it's all that is needed.

Off to the show.

Kathy Marshall
02-21-2011, 1:13 AM
It was good to meet everyone at this show, the convention center is perfect and the weather with a little rain is better than home.

Hollowing systems like the Jamison or Monster are very simple to use it's all that is needed.

Off to the show.
Doug, it was great meeting you and your wife! Can't wait to try the gouges. Turned a beautiful (if I do say so myself!) handle out of Pecan for the 1/2" V and have another piece ready for the 3/8".
Just realized that I've been using a U shaped gouge, is there anything special I should know about using the V?

Ray Bell
02-21-2011, 2:20 AM
It was nice meeting you Kathy. I really enjoyed this event. I attended the Stephen Hatcher demo the first day, and Lyle Jamison today. Both great instructors, and wonderful artists. I met Doug, his wife, and of course their little Yorkie? companion. I didn't buy any tools, but couldn't resist Mike Smith, and his two assistants, Terry from Salem Or., and Sean. Mike traveled all the way from NC with 6000 lbs of turning blanks. Since we fly from here to New Orleans tomorrow, and then back home to Wa. next week fortunatly UPS was stationed right at the convention Center, and I will have lots of new blanks when we get home. I thoroughly enjoyrd this event, and would recommend it to anybody interested, It was well organized, and who ever met a wood turner who isn't nice:)

Dan Forman
02-21-2011, 3:41 AM
Sounds like a jolly time. Have fun with the new toys, and good job on the pieces. Love the color on the vase, and pine can be tricky to turn into bowls.

Dan

Jason Clark2
02-21-2011, 2:21 PM
I'm pretty good with faces, not so great with names and with the number of people I met and talked to this weekend I'm having trouble syncing the 2 up. If I met you and don't remember please accept my apologies, it was a pretty crazy weekend for me. I plan to do an extended write-up eventually, after my life settles down a bit.

Jason

Doug Thompson
02-22-2011, 10:06 AM
Cathy, the V is the most popular with the advantage of the long wings, think roughing, scraping, pull cuts... most everything can be done with a V shape flute.

Ray Bell
02-22-2011, 12:05 PM
I'm pretty good with faces, not so great with names and with the number of people I met and talked to this weekend I'm having trouble syncing the 2 up. If I met you and don't remember please accept my apologies, it was a pretty crazy weekend for me. I plan to do an extended write-up eventually, after my life settles down a bit.

Jason

Jason is the young guy, with the camera. We did meet Jason, you were taking pictures of the exhibit pieces. I believe they said you are also vice president of your club? You did a wonderful job organizing, and I neversaw you when you weren't running all over the place. If I had any complaints at all, it would be with the caterers sevice. They just couldn't seem to get it together.

As an event organizer, I am looking forward to hear your thoughts of the weekend.