PDA

View Full Version : Hammertone paint

Jonathan Spool
02-19-2011, 12:49 AM
I will be picking up my Powermatic 221 planer tomorrow. Its a green monster, and I'll be applying some paint once I get it home (thats all it needs). I have read that some have used hammertone or hammertite paint for their machines and pleased with the results.
I know where to ge Rustoleum Hammertone paint, and have used it on some projects before, and it seems pretty tough. I just want to get some opinions from others that have used this or another easy to apply paint, so I can make the best decision.
I'm see if I can post some pictures of this beast once I get it home. I can post some pics of the unloading too if anyone is interested in that kind of stuff.

Van Huskey
02-19-2011, 1:21 AM
My guess is you plan to use the Evergreen color which is a very close match for the Evergreen "racing stripe" PM era. If you put it in in very thin coats it will NOT look hammered. An easy way to rattle can a PM and have it look "natural". It is easy to get the hammertone look with thicker coats but I much prefer a physically flat finish.

Norman Hitt
02-19-2011, 2:25 AM
It never ceases to amaze me at all the NEW things companies keep coming up with. :confused: Who would have ever thought that someone would make something you could spray from a can and it would look similar to what we used to spend a lot of time doing with a Stipple brush on machinery? :rolleyes: One thing about the old stipple painting was that it really protected the metal and was very durable when fully cured. :) I have not personally used any of the spray stuff, but my daughter used it on a bathroom cabinet in their old house and it really did come out nice and uniform, and looked very nice in that particular application. I think it should work pretty well on a machine and I have one old machine that I do intend to give it a whirl on (""IF" it ever successfully makes it to the top spot on my "to it" list).:D

Jonathan Spool
02-19-2011, 12:34 PM
Can anyone comment on the differences between "Hammertite" and "Hammertone" if they have used both?

Chip Lindley
02-19-2011, 6:17 PM
I believe it's "Hammerite (http://www.thepaintstore.com/Hammerite_s/316.htm?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=hammerite+paint&utm_content=Hammerite+Hammered+Finish&utm_campaign=The+Paintstore+Hammerite&gclid=CMP48syslacCFac65QodPjU4cA)" in rattle cans OR quarts.

Jonathan Spool
02-20-2011, 1:00 AM
Here are some pics of the 221 in the trailer, and on the cart. We rolled the 1700lb beast out of the trailer onto the hydraulic lift table, dropped it down, put more air in the wheels!, and rolled it inside.
Actually went pretty smooth. As soon as I am sure where it is going to be parked, I'll try to lift it with my engine hoist and put it in place. I'll pretty it up a little, and take a video of it firing up. VFD starts it up like glass.
Can't believe how quiet it is with the Byrd head.183324183325183323

Van Huskey
02-20-2011, 1:55 AM
Here are some pics of the 221 in the trailer, and on the cart. We rolled the 1700lb beast out of the trailer onto the hydraulic lift table, dropped it down, put more air in the wheels!, and rolled it inside.
Actually went pretty smooth. As soon as I am sure where it is going to be parked, I'll try to lift it with my engine hoist and put it in place. I'll pretty it up a little, and take a video of it firing up. VFD starts it up like glass.
Can't believe how quiet it is with the Byrd head.183324183325183323

Wonderful! Let me just say that deserves a good spray of SW industrial enamel!

Kent A Bathurst
02-20-2011, 6:57 AM
Jonathan - if you haven't been there, you might go rummage around on owwm-dot-org, and it's sister site owwm-dot-com. Owwm = old wood working machines, USA made only. That crowd knows an awful lot about restoring these things. Soimewhere [probably on dot-com] I recall seeing formulas for matching the various colors PM used over the years. I also recall any number of threads re: repainting where guys used a lot of dirrerent types of paints, including rattle-can hammered, IIRC. Not everyone there is going for a rotisserie-concourse-winning restoration.......some are simply buffing up old machines.

Jonathan Spool
02-20-2011, 12:01 PM
Thanks Kent, I've been there but didn't catch the paint thread. This machine doesn't require any mechanical restoration. I had a Byrd head installed, along with new head bearings while we were at it, and a VFD installed, as the machine is 3 Ph. My only issue now, besides paint, is how to turn the VFD off (it's on as long as the machine is plugged in) and how to install a real On/Off switch rather than using the tiny VFD buttons.

Van Huskey
02-20-2011, 3:33 PM
Thanks Kent, I've been there but didn't catch the paint thread. This machine doesn't require any mechanical restoration. I had a Byrd head installed, along with new head bearings while we were at it, and a VFD installed, as the machine is 3 Ph. My only issue now, besides paint, is how to turn the VFD off (it's on as long as the machine is plugged in) and how to install a real On/Off switch rather than using the tiny VFD buttons.

Just an FYI on the paint colors for that machine on OWWM. The evergreen color is in the Wiki on the site HOWEVER I am pretty sure you need to search the forum since there is a correction somewhere.

That is really a great machine!

Bob Falk
02-21-2011, 9:21 AM
both spraying through my HVLP and using spray cans. I used the black for my old Delta shaper and, though not traditional, looks great. I also sprayed a couple of old tool cabinets with success. bob

Mike Schuch
02-21-2011, 3:49 PM
I used hammerite for years. I can't find it any more. I now use the Rustoleum Hammerfinish paint and can't tell the difference from hammerite ... To the point that I have patched some very rare scratches in hammerite with Rustoleum Hammer finish and the repair is invisible. Rustoleum painted on top of hammerite looks identical.

I use Rustoleum Hammer Finish on just about everything. When I completely rebuilt my PM 71 12" saw I used the recommended paint color from the www.owwm.org board and it was an excellent match to the original paint. One of my few deviations from the Hammertite

Dave Lehnert
02-21-2011, 4:25 PM
I may be 100% wrong about this. Just personal observation using a lot of each at work often.
Hammerite has some kind of resins and glass flakes that helped protect the metal that also gave you the hammered look.
The Rustoleum Hammered finish (Again my opinion) looked like a paint with oil added to it to give you a hammered look.

Jonathan Spool
02-21-2011, 4:39 PM
I had a hard time finding the color I wanted in a hammered finish paint. I did pick up a quart of Hammerite Mid-Green, which is very close to the lighter original paint color on the machine.
Can I shoot this through a 1.5mm nozzle, or will I require a 1.8mm? Hammerite does not suggest thinning.

Tim Livingston
02-22-2011, 11:50 AM
Here is the base of my Powermatic 30 Sander, it was originally that snot green and I decided to go with the Green hammered paint. I think it came out pretty good.

Joshua Culp
02-22-2011, 12:35 PM
I used the Rustoleum hammerfinish paint from a spray can to paint a piece of sheet metal that I bolted to my motorcycle to put DoD parking decals on instead of putting them on the forks and leaving marks.

The paint held up to road grime and such very well.

Jonathan Spool
02-22-2011, 12:56 PM
Tim,
Which brand and color did you use fort the base. Rustoleum only has the dark green, and Hammerite has the deep green and mid-green. I can't locate any other options, including the "Evergreen" I hear about.

Tim Livingston
02-23-2011, 8:56 AM
It was the Rustoleum dark green, I'm not sure what the exact color was called but it came out a little lighter than the can cover. 183933

Myk Rian
02-23-2011, 11:02 AM
Can anyone comment on the differences between "Hammertite" and "Hammertone" if they have used both?

As I understand it, Rustoleum bought Hammerite.
I used it on my DeWalt RAS. A couple medium coats, after the sun had heated the parts.