PDA

View Full Version : I've seen wormy wood...

Jon McElwain
02-19-2011, 12:31 AM
But I have never had one crawl out to say hello!!

Reed Gray
02-19-2011, 12:51 AM
Most that come out of my bowls end up getting decapitated or super glued into place.

robo hippy

Jon McElwain
02-19-2011, 12:55 AM
Yeah, I felt a wet gooey splat on my hands and got gut spray all over my visor about 45 minutes before I took this picture...

Casey Gooding
02-19-2011, 8:13 AM
I've had that happen to me. Unfortunately, the little guy appeared as I was running stock through the Saw Stop and it tripped the brake. Dumbest reason ever to have to replace a brake and blade. Also, I had a group of bees show up as I was resawing some stock once, that was certainly unexpected.

Cathy Schaewe
02-19-2011, 9:16 AM
I had a huge nasty grub poke its head out of a piece of mesquite once. I had to use needle-nose pliers to pull it out. It was almost as big around as my little finger, but hard to tell how long, since I had cut its tail off. Ick.

Steve Schlumpf
02-19-2011, 11:36 AM
Yup - have experienced that a few times! Even had to stop once to clean off my visor!

Jon McElwain
02-19-2011, 1:21 PM
Well, it sounds like I am at least in good company!

Curt Fuller
02-19-2011, 1:42 PM
Only thing worse than getting splattered by a grub is biting into an apple and seeing half the worm!

Baxter Smith
02-19-2011, 2:46 PM
Just one of the things that keeps turning interesting. I usually just see half of one. Large black ants running around everytime you stop the lathe is kind of fun too. Kind of like "whack-an-ant".

Jim King
02-19-2011, 3:03 PM
Here you can have them fried or raw. These are worms from the Black Palm tree.

Jon McElwain
02-19-2011, 3:19 PM
A little barbecue sauce and I bet those are really tasty!

Cathy Schaewe
02-19-2011, 3:44 PM
Here you can have them fried or raw. These are worms from the Black Palm tree.

You and that Andrew Zimmern guy must be buddies ....

Leo Van Der Loo
02-19-2011, 11:38 PM
I served about a year in New Guinea while in the Dutch Navy, up there the native people would cut down small Tapioca trees and left it laying down for a couple of weeks, then split it open to remove and eat the large worms that would be found in the soft inside of the tree, a good source of protein that was very scarce in their diet of mostly roots and tubers.

Big grubs/worms are eaten in more places, just like these ;)

Lee Koepke
02-20-2011, 9:34 AM
I had a grub come out of some mesquite I was working on ... and the bees + circular saw thing REALLY tests your woodworker resolve to resist the natural panic/run instinct in the middle of a spinning blade act ...

Harry Robinette
02-20-2011, 12:24 PM
Hitting a colony of termites is the worst you can hit.I half way killed myself trying to kill all of the ones that went flying around my shop.You only need one to get away in the shop and then no shop.Had to spray almost everything in the shop and stay out for two days.
Harry

Bernie Weishapl
02-20-2011, 1:01 PM
I have had several come out of pecan and mesquite. I just keep a paper towel and windex close by.

Dusty Fuller
02-20-2011, 10:40 PM
I have a small stack of persimmon blanks waiting on me, and even when I was sawing it up there were grubs everywhere in the sapwood. Ugly grubs at that, with a wide head and a thin body. They get dizzy when on the lathe and fly all over the place, or at least pieces of them do.

Justin Stephen
02-20-2011, 11:10 PM
But I have never had one crawl out to say hello!!

Under the circumstances, I seriously doubt he was saying "hello." :)

Tamara Brown
02-22-2011, 1:33 PM
Ewwww...flashbacks...flashbacks....I just don't remember them looking so alive!
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?107578-A-whole-new-type-of-pleasure&highlight=

Jon McElwain
02-22-2011, 3:57 PM
Ewwww...flashbacks...flashbacks....I just don't remember them looking so alive!

Now THAT was a funny thread!! And do not worry, it did not look so alive for long.

BTW, does anyone know how grub guts smeared into the wood will effect the finish? Another one crawled out just as I started sanding with the 400 grit. Sort of a wet sand if you will - usually I use BLO or something though....

Mike Cruz
02-22-2011, 11:16 PM
Jon, I left a freshly cut blank on my 4x4 workbench. A few days later, I went to move it. One of those buggers had a hole just like the one in your pic on the underside of the blank. I didn't notice it when I laid the blank down. I sure as poop noticed it when I moved the blank. The little bugger came out and dug a gouge right into the top of my bench! Through the poly and all...