PDA

View Full Version : Jet mini tail stock creep

Philip Duffy
01-19-2005, 9:50 AM
I know that there was a long thread about the fix on the stated problem and yet, after using the Search mode I have been unable to track it down.

Help, please. Phil

Ken Salisbury
01-19-2005, 10:43 AM
I know that there was a long thread about the fix on the stated problem and yet, after using the Search mode I have been unable to track it down.

Help, please. Phil

I didn't take the time to search for the thread - sorry. However, tail stock creep has been a problem with the Jet Mini since it's inception. The round washer under the tail stock which rides in the grove in the bed needs to be replaced with a rectangular one. The problem is no one makes these washers. Keith made some and sold them for awhile but stopped making them due to his workload being so great he didn't have the time. I have one on my mini and it definitely is a fix. I guess when I have some time I could pull mine off and make a drawing you could use to take to a machine shop to get one made. Maybe we have a member who could produce some for sale.

Ken Salisbury
01-19-2005, 11:29 AM
I found the previous thread I generated on this subject:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=4124&highlight=tail+stock

Andy London
01-19-2005, 1:43 PM
I haven't had this problen with my Jet but you can buy camp blocks from Lee Valley for $15.00 Canadian, I use them for steady rests I have made and they work perfect.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=48722&cat=1,330,49238&ap=1

http://www.leevalley.com/images/item/Woodworking/Turning/66b1401s7.jpg

Robert Cox
01-19-2005, 4:06 PM
OK, since Mr Outten has DCed the blocks how about a little info that I can go see my machinist buddy with?

Do they look like the one above?

Are they hardened?

What are the outside dimensions?

Keith Outten
01-19-2005, 8:12 PM
Robert,

I think I included a rough sketch with dimensions in the first post I did concerning the Jet Mini Lathe. The blocks I have been making do indeed look just like Andy's clamp block. If memory serves me the width of the top section is 1.25" with a 1/8" step down. I made them from 2" flat bar that is 1/2" thick. They must be drilled and tapped for the 10mm bolt on the bottom of your tailstock.

The tailstock creep problem will go away permanently when you replace the round washer with one of these blocks. I wish I could make some more but just don't have the time. Possibly another of our members who owns a milling machine would volunteer to make them.

Start with a block that is 2" by 1 7/8" by 1/2" thick and machine the 1/8" steps along the 1 7/8" length of the bar. The machined steps will be 1/8" deep by 5/16" wide. The bolt on the Jet Tailstock is 10mm by 1.50

Robert Cox
01-19-2005, 9:17 PM
Thanks much

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
01-19-2005, 10:21 PM
I think part of the problem is the dinky little locking lever on the tail stock. You just don't get enough leverage to tighten the lock sufficiently. I turned a walnut handle about eight or nine inches long and drilled a 1/2" inch diamerter hole in the end. I wrapped a couple laps of blue painter's tape around the small tail stock handle and then twisted the walnut handle on over it and have not had any slippage since then. Worked for me.

Keith Outten
01-19-2005, 11:28 PM
Don,

If you replace the round washer with a rectangular block it takes very little effort to set the tailstock or release it for that matter. The contact area of a rectangle more than triples the area of the stock washer against the bed ways and there is no flex so there is no need to overtighten the mechanism using leverage from a longer handle. I have also heard of people using a hammer to hit the tailstock lever, this will certainly stretch the bolt and be less effective over time. At least in the tests that I have done replacing the block seemed to be the best corrective method and should outlast the life of the lathe.

Philip Duffy
01-20-2005, 8:48 AM
Thanks, Keith, Ken and all who helped me and many others to solve the problem. Phil

Robert Cox
01-20-2005, 10:57 AM
I'm going to the machine shop today. I'll let you guys know if alex will make them.

Mark Hulette
01-20-2005, 7:18 PM
I can vouch for the rectangular block- I got one from Keith many moons ago and they really do work. Didn't have much creep trouble when I first got the mini but it was starting to show up. It's like the old saying, "You're one of two types of people, those that have tailstock creep or one that will!"

It's worth the small effort to replace~ I highly recommend it.

Robert Cox
01-21-2005, 12:08 PM
I suspect that there may be a small supply available in the not too distant future.

Randy Meijer
02-14-2005, 4:26 PM
I have two questions about this clamp block situation. First thing is why the replacement blocks are threaded?? The clamp washer that comes with the JET(at least with mine) is not threaded. It is secured to the clamp linkage by a nylon insert nut. And secondly, I wonder if the clamp blocks sold by Lee Valley are threaded to match the linkage on the JET lathe?? If it turns out they are, that would be very fortuitous!!!

Robert Cox
02-14-2005, 4:47 PM
I threaded the ones I made so that the nut could be used to lock them in position. No chance of binding and easier to get the tailstock back on.

Nothing original, just following Keith advice.

They are a pain to make but we made them.

A friend with a 1236 says he has the same problem, We'll do that size too if there is a need

Robert Cox
02-14-2005, 4:48 PM
I have two questions about this clamp block situation. First thing is why the replacement blocks are threaded?? The clamp washer that comes with the JET(at least with mine) is not threaded. It is secured to the clamp linkage by a nylon insert nut. And secondly, I wonder if the clamp blocks sold by Lee Valley are threaded to match the linkage on the JET lathe?? If it turns out they are, that would be very fortuitous!!!

It's a metric thread. I'd be surprised if it matched.

Keith Outten
02-14-2005, 4:55 PM
Randy,

I threaded the blocks I made because it solved half of the creep proplem. With the stock bolt under the tailstock threaded into the 1/2" block it keeps the block aligned perfectly under the tailstock. When you tighten the bolt with the lever it will rise and contact the bottom of the bedways perfectly parallel (not skewed). The rectangular block provided at least three times the contact area of the stock washer and since it is so thick there is no flex when it tightens.

The reason I decided to make my own blocks is because I could not find one that matched the Jet Mini's thread. I felt that if I was going to cure the problem once and for all it was worth the effort to rebuild the block entirely and of all the blocks I made everyone who has them and reported back to me said that the creep problem was corrected. If I owned a large commercial milling machine I would be glad to make more blocks but my bench mill is not the most efficient machine for a mass production job. My shop schedule is absolutely full right now as well and believe me I'm happy about that :)

Robert Cox
02-14-2005, 8:46 PM
Speaking of large industrial milling machines....

We used a big Bridegport.

http://home.comcast.net/~robertcox/wood/JetBlocks.jpg

Randy Meijer
02-15-2005, 1:31 AM
Keith/Robert: What you are saying makes sense to me. Thanks for the insight. I was a little skeptical that the Lee Valley clamp blocks could be used......that's why I asked about the about the thread compatibility.

Philip Duffy
02-15-2005, 4:24 AM
Robert, are these ready for sale? Price? Phil

Robert Cox
02-15-2005, 7:38 AM
Robert, are these ready for sale? Price? Phil

I set the price to match what Keith was getting. except I added $4 for USPS Priority something and packaging (Padded envelope or small box?) or other and just made it 28.95 so there wouldn't be any guessing about the total.

Ken Salisbury
02-15-2005, 7:40 AM
I set the price to match what Keith was getting. except I added $4 for USPS Priority something and packaging (Padded envelope or small box?) or other and just made it 28.95 so there wouldn't be any guessing about the total.

I have one of Keith's original ones on my mini and I can tell ya, "it's well worth the price".

Keith Outten
02-15-2005, 9:07 AM
Nice Work Robert,

I'm loving the idea of using a Bridgebport Mill, the blocks look great. Did you tap the hole?

Erik Rudd
02-15-2005, 12:25 PM
I'm interested in purchasing one of these if you're interested in selling...

Robert Cox
02-15-2005, 2:05 PM
Yes, Keith, we used a Bridgeport. 2 HP. Big sucker.

We learned a few things too.

And the holes are tapped M10x1.5.

I put the first one in my mini and put a block of wood in it. Turned the quill (?) to see if it would slip and realized I was turning harder than I ever had before.

It should help keep those unbalanced pieces from becoming airborn!

And they are absolutely for sale!

Robert Cox
02-15-2005, 8:21 PM
If anyone wants one:

Paypal is a pain on my end, I think. But I'm coming down with the flu maybe and clear thinking is not my strong suit tonight.

Just send me a check and let me know when it is in the mail and I'll send the block out then.

Send it to:
Robert Cox
1640 Heather Lane
Huntingtown, MD 20639

Thanks

R

Erik Rudd
02-15-2005, 10:14 PM
Check's in the mail for tomorrow.

Check your PM's here for my address or wait and send it to the address on the check.

Erik

Randy Meijer
02-16-2005, 12:59 AM
Anyone ever run this problem by JET to see what they had to say or suggest to them that they redesign their clamping washer to the more secure rectangular profile??

Erik Rudd
02-16-2005, 10:35 AM
I plan on going by their offices in Auburn, Washington sometime next week to talk with someone there about this issue. They'll probably ignore me, but you just never know...

Randy Meijer
02-17-2005, 3:44 PM
.....I wonder if the clamp blocks sold by Lee Valley are threaded to match the linkage on the JET lathe.....
I emailed this question to Lee Valley and their response was that the thread is ".....12 mm gauge by 13 tpi....." According to what I can find out about metric threads, that information can't be correct?? And they certainly don't measure metric thread pitch in units of tpi!! I have sent them a follow up question; but don't have an answer yet.

Since it is fairly easy to measure a thread diameter, I'm guessing the 12 mm measurement is correct.....that would be comparable to our 1/2" thread and makes sense. According to the charts I have found, a 12 mm thread can come in four different pitches......1, 1.25, 1.5 & 1.75. A pitch of 1.75 is equivalent to 14 TPI and is the standard metric coarse pitch. I'm guessing the Lee Valley people simply miscounted the TPI.

In any event, it appears that their clamping block WILL NOT fit the JET clamping linkage!!

Chris Teenor
02-24-2005, 11:17 PM
Robert,

Please post when you find these available. This is a "niggling" problem that is persistent. I would like to purchase.

Thanks,

Chris

Robert Cox
02-25-2005, 9:02 PM
The blocks are available now.

Send an email to me at robertcox@comcast.net with your address when the check is sent and I will get one out to you.

Charlie Stein
02-26-2005, 11:14 PM
Hi Robert,
Got my block to day, thanks works great.
Just Charlie :o

Erik Rudd
02-27-2005, 8:25 PM
Hey Robert,

I got my block in the mail yesterday, installed it today. It works!! No more tail stock creep! Thanks for making these available.

Erik

Robert Cox
02-28-2005, 1:53 AM
You're all very welcome.

I'll get around to depositting your checks one day soon. (My wife is a CPA, that really grates on her...)

Randy Meijer
12-13-2005, 3:11 PM
I plan on going by their offices in Auburn, Washington sometime next week to talk with someone there about this issue. They'll probably ignore me, but you just never know...

Revisiting an old subject..... Hey Erik, are you still around?? Did you ever get any comment from JET on the problem of the creepy tailstock??

Chip Sutherland
12-13-2005, 7:35 PM
I've never had the problem either. I know that the Delta Midi Lathes have been known to have this problem.