PDA

View Full Version : Drill Press

Kerry Richardson
02-18-2011, 11:53 PM
Looking to buy a new drill press and would appreciate any thoughts or advice. Contemplating this one http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-Speed-20-Floor-Drill-Press/G7948 (http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-Speed-20-Floor-Drill-Press/G7948) Anyone have any experience with it? Pro’s, con’s, other model /manufacture suggestions in the same price range. For a 20” 1 ½ hp press, price seems pretty good.

Thanks

Chris Barnett
02-19-2011, 12:08 AM
Have the Grizzly G7948 and it works well for power, but sometimes shakes so badly that the table and head move relative to each other and ruins any attempt to drill a round hole. Have replaced the belts, column adapter (part that rides on column would not fit onto column when received, so they sent new part), the motor pully, chuck and greased the head bearings. Not sure what to do now and the drill press has run out of warranty. Should have bought a diffent DP. The table does make setup easy, particularly with the kit Grizzly sells (not sure of part number but has the bolts, nuts, angle riser blocks etc) that bolts into the t-slot. Great kit...buy it! Then hope your DP works better than mine. Makes me want to bang my head into to wall. Had been ill most of this last year so still not getting it to work properly is partly my fault.
My 1023 TS works well, as does my 714x2 BS, and have an unused 490 jointer, so its running 2 of 3 on Griz tools right now. No reason to think the 490 will not be great though.

pat warner
02-19-2011, 11:02 AM
Study the used market (http://patwarner.com/images/dpe.jpg), a lot more value there.

Van Huskey
02-19-2011, 4:44 PM
First, I would agree with Pat but I also understand some people don't have the time nor the inclination to look in the used market.

That said the Grizzly line of DPs are getting long in the tooth and it is one of their few product lines of machines I wouldn't consider. The Delta line is probably the best group of woodworking DPs, the Jet WW press is also solid. I am partial to the PM 2800 but wish I could mate it and the Delta 18-900L and raise their kids.

Finally, I will say this but it does make shopping harder. I will NOT buy an Asian DP that I can not inspect in person prior to purchase, I have checked the runout on 40-50 of them in stores and no brand or model has consistent acceptable runout at full spindle travel.

In the end I would outline exactly what you plan to do with the press. Wood only or wood and metal (not just the occasional metal), what you think your swing requirements are etc etc along with a budget and you will probably get some good suggestions.

Doug Colombo
02-19-2011, 9:40 PM
I have the Jet JDP-17DX and love it (wife bought it for me for Christmas - she's the best !). The table is oversized like the Delta, has a solid two way laser, and although not as much travel as the Delta, has good spindle depth. The table tilt system on the Delta seems more flexable then the Jet, but the Jet is around $300 less. Here is a link to the Jet features sheet : http://content.jettools.com/whitepapers/354173_whitepaper.pdf I agree with Van - I would not buy a DP that I can not see in person. Good luck with your purchase !

Ken Deckelman
02-20-2011, 8:24 AM
There are lots of threads on this DP if you search "7948" and "G7948"

I have the G7947 and it has served me well-But I did redo the quill stop, that was the worst part of the machine.

Tony Bilello
02-20-2011, 9:46 AM
For many years I had drill presses that required me to change the belt/pully arrangements to change speeds. After a while I rarely made these changes because it was a PITA. I would only do it when I really needed to rather than as often as I should.
Last year I was given a cheap variable speed drill press and now it it my 'go-to' drill press.
Whether building furniture or restoring it, I constantly need to change drill bits- anything from a smaller than 1/64" to larger Forstner bits.
From now on, I would only recommend variable speed drill presses.

Joe Angrisani
02-20-2011, 10:07 AM
Tony.... Can you expand a little on the "cheap variabe speed drill press" part and tell us about it and where it came from. A Harbor Freight DP? Someone's "house brand"?

ps. Still smile everytime I see your avatar, you lucky dog.

Myk Rian
02-20-2011, 10:17 AM
I had a Delta DP350 VS press. About $210. Had quill slop due to sloppy manufacturing tolerances.
I got a 1957 Delta DP220 last year and restored it. Mainly needed paint. No quill slop.
You can buy a new one with a tight quill, but it'll cost you. Think commercial grade.

Andrew Schaefer
02-20-2011, 10:17 AM
I am also in the market for a new drill press. I noticed that Woodcrafters has the Delta 18-900L on sale for 15% off. It brings it down around $700 before taxes. I'm going to check the local Woodcrafter store to see if they have them in stock so I can take a look before i purchase.

glenn bradley
02-20-2011, 10:28 AM
The "good" reasonably priced DP (and even a good expensive one from some sellers) is an elusive beast. I assume there is something driving that product/market that I do not understand. There must just be inadequate market to account for the making of at least one nice DP by each of the main players *** sigh ***.

I have the Delta 17-950 which is basically a Delta Shop Master on steroids. I paid under $300 and after combing the available market at that time, feel OK with it as a DP and love the table. I don't know that I would recommend it unless you were in a money crunch and needed to get by. In your price range I would currently look at the Delta 18-900. It doesn't quite have the swing of the Grizzly you show but, so far all reports are good (a rarity in anything shy of a $2000+ mill it seems).

I also have a 1940's Delta 14" that Grandpa bought new. Dad ran it for years and I now run it. It is superior in fit and accuracy to anything I have walked into a store and put my hands on. We obviously knew how to make these things well at some point and this certainly add credence to Pat and Van's point on restoring an older machine.

Ron Bontz
02-20-2011, 5:15 PM
I am partial to the Delta 18-900L myself. The Delta is very smooth and quiet. I did not care for the PM 2800. Perhaps some day they will incorporate a VFD on these similar to the lathes. I, however do not plan on ever buying another.:) Best of luck.

Adam Cormier
02-20-2011, 8:12 PM
I have the Ridgid DP and it is great. I've used it quite a bit so far and have not been disappointed at all. The price is great, there is a lifetime warranty and everything was precise and square right out of the box (for me at least).

Tony Bilello
02-20-2011, 10:02 PM
Tony.... Can you expand a little on the "cheap variabe speed drill press" ......
ps. Still smile everytime I see your avatar, you lucky dog.

It is a benchtop Ryobi.
If you get to Texas, you have an open invitation to sail with us. We live aboard and take the boat out regularly.

Anthony Alleyne
07-23-2011, 9:01 PM
One down two to go ... Need a Drill Press.

Thanks to all of you guys for you wise info, I made my choice, I going with the Luguna 18" HD and I am thinking I need to get a drill press but is a big choice in 18" drill press floor model, anyone have any advise on 18" Drill Press and what do you guys think about the (Router Boss) I'm thinking of getting one soon it could save a lot of time on joints, what do you guys think.

Any help would be appreciate

Thanks Anthony.