PDA

View Full Version : 14" Delta Bandsaw Question

David DeCristoforo
02-18-2011, 10:04 PM
OK, I know I haven't posted to this forum for over a year now since I started hanging out on the turner's forum. But I have a situation that is a bit curious. I recently acquired a 14" Delta bandsaw and I ordered a riser kit for it along with a 105" Timberwolf blade that is supposed to fit the Delta with the riser. Well, it does fit but only "just barely". With the upper wheel lowered as far as it will go, I can just force the blade onto the wheels. I have never owned one of these Delta saws before but I know a lot of guys here have a lot of experience with them. Is this "typical"? It seems like there should be a bit more "slack"...

Thanx
DD

Bruce Wrenn
02-18-2011, 10:19 PM
Measure your blade to insure it's 105" long. Stuff happens, and sometimes things aren't made perfect. If riser block is exactly 6" high, then this adds a foot (!2") to needed length for new blade. Using 93 1/2" for stock blade, this means new ones would need to be 105 1/2" long.

Van Huskey
02-18-2011, 10:20 PM
OK, I know I haven't posted to this forum for over a year now since I started hanging out on the turner's forum. But I have a situation that is a bit curious. I recently acquired a 14" Delta bandsaw and I ordered a riser kit for it along with a 105" Timberwolf blade that is supposed to fit the Delta with the riser. Well, it does fit but only "just barely". With the upper wheel lowered as far as it will go, I can just force the blade onto the wheels. I have never owned one of these Delta saws before but I know a lot of guys here have a lot of experience with them. Is this "typical"? It seems like there should be a bit more "slack"...

Thanx
DD

Not normal. Have you tried to measure the blade? Alternatively, wrap a piece of string (not one that has a lot of give like yarn) around the wheels to see if for some reason this BS is "long"? My guess it is the blade.

David DeCristoforo
02-19-2011, 12:57 PM
"...Not normal...."
"...Measure your blade..."

Ahh, yes... the obvious! I bought the blade from Amazon and it's "supposed" to fit. Looking at the blade size options on the PS Wood site, they list a 93" blade and a 93.5" blade. But then they jump from 105" to 106". I guess I could just order direct from Timberwolf and specify a 105.5" blade. This blade is on there now and it's staying on until it needs to be changed. I will measure before I order another one!!!

Myk Rian
02-19-2011, 1:14 PM
Sometimes, the tracking adjustment needs to be relaxed for a blade to fit on. I had one saw that the tracking assembly would hang on the back guard, preventing it from loosening up completely.
Count how many turns you relax the adjustment, (usually 1 or 2) so you can put it back where it was once the blade is on.

David DeCristoforo
02-19-2011, 6:52 PM
"Sometimes, the tracking adjustment needs to be relaxed..."

Yea... tried that. Still way too tight. But thanx for the tip.

Eddie Darby
02-21-2011, 8:05 PM
I have a Delta 14" BS with the 6" riser, and ran into this blade length problem enough times, until I decides to extend my top wheels travel.
If you have no blade on and adjust the top wheel up and down, you will see that at the bottom of it's travel, the mechanism runs into the gray cover casing.
I just got out the ol' Dremel moto-tool and ground away at the gray casing, in the area that made contact, until I had about 1/4' more travel . Easy quick fix.

Joseph Tarantino
02-21-2011, 9:43 PM
contact iturra design if you want any reliable information regarding delta 14" band saws. there probably aren't a handful of people in the country who know anywhere near as much as lou iturra. no website, but they can be contacted here:

http://www.manta.com/c/mmc3znn/iturra-design

Myk Rian
02-22-2011, 7:58 AM
contact iturra design if you want any reliable information regarding delta 14" band saws. there probably aren't a handful of people in the country who know anywhere near as much as lou iturra.
I ges we don't not no nutin.

Joseph Tarantino
02-22-2011, 1:53 PM
I ges we don't not no nutin.

i've no idea what you are attempting to say.

Salvatore Buscemi
02-22-2011, 2:55 PM

I'm guessing that he is saying that the collective wisdom on this website is probably sufficient to solve this problem, without having to resort to talking to an actual person.

anon

Joseph Tarantino
02-23-2011, 12:12 PM
I'm guessing that he is saying that the collective wisdom on this website is probably sufficient to solve this problem, without having to resort to talking to an actual person.

anon

given the prior inarticulate response, i'd say my suggestion to consult someone who is recognized as being something of an authority on a issue under consideration is a better choice than relying on unknown individuals who don't derive their livelihood from the subject area. especially when "the collective wisdom on the website" does, at times, offer diametrically opposed opinions regarding alternatives to addressing raised questions. just my $.02.

Chip Lindley
02-23-2011, 5:24 PM
Geez, Joseph, I thought all the unknown individuals answered the issue posed by David, admirably. If my calculations are correct, diametrically opposed solutions gives a guy twice as many avenues to persue. Even one professional source may miss something that is readily apparent to the next guy.

The old adage, Two Heads Are Better Than one,
Is why Government and Big Business sponsor Think Tanks.
Even Dr.HOUSE encourages the input of others, even it is to Prove he is right!

Joseph Tarantino
02-23-2011, 5:50 PM
Geez, Joseph, I thought all the unknown individuals answered the issue posed by David, admirably. If my calculations are correct, diametrically opposed solutions gives a guy twice as many avenues to persue. Even one professional source may miss something that is readily apparent to the next guy.

The old adage, Two Heads Are Better Than one,
Is why Government and Big Business sponsor Think Tanks.
Even Dr.HOUSE encourages the input of others, even it is to Prove he is right!

there are so many ways to respond to this last posting, that it would take far more time than i am willing to devote to it. and since this thread seems to be veering off course, i'll refrain from further comment.

Van Huskey
02-23-2011, 6:07 PM
It is actually pretty simple either one of three things is at work here:

1. the blade was cut and welded too short
2. the saw has some anomaly making the path around its wheels too short
3. the OP's idea of forcing the blade is unusual

I think even the greatest bandsaw expert in the world is going to have to establish which one of the three it is before preceeding. Mr. Iturra is a GREAT Delta/Delta clone resource but no point taking his valuable time while someone is measuring etc. If the issue is #1 or #3 then the solution is simple. If it turns out to be #2 then it becomes a process of elimination.

If people called the short list of experts before asking any questions on the forum then the forum would have very little information on it and the experts would spend their life on the phone.

Brent Smith
02-23-2011, 9:29 PM
David, I came across this same problem on a Delta that had a Carter Quick release added to it. The owner had not properly positioned the quick release devise before drilling and bolting it in place. From that point on he had to order blades 5/8" longer than was called for in the specs. Hope this helps, but of course it's only relevant if your saw has this aftermarket addon.

Bob Borzelleri
03-02-2011, 3:33 AM
David...

I just installed (today) the riser kit on my 1996 Delta 14" BS. I am using a Timber Wolf 105" blade and while it is a bit tight going on, it does fit. My problem with the kit was installing the additional blade guard that is intended to cover the upper extra inches of the exposed blade while the guide is lowered down toward the table. The add on guard is designed to bolt to a boss with a vertical hole drilled in the cast upper arm. Actually, while the hole is vertical, the top and bottom of the boss are slanted to a degree that leaves the guide off plumb about 1.5" at the bottom of guide. All the photos I have seen show the boss with a flat top and bottom. I guess I drew the short straw. Nothing that a vice and a hammer couldn't fix, but it sure looks a lot tackier than it should.

As for the performance, installing the kit gave me the opportunity to tune everything up and with the new blade, I was able to go through a 9" walnut log (using my new Carter Log Mill) like it was butter; well, firm butter. I should have done this mod 10 years ago.

...Bob

Myk Rian
03-02-2011, 7:29 AM
It means:
I guess we're so stupid here, we don't know what we're doing.