PDA

View Full Version : Need Dental Work????????? No, just need Light

Allen stagg
02-18-2011, 9:20 PM
I bid and won (hope other bidder wasn't a creeker) a dentist light. It is a vertical mount light and have wanted one for a long time. I even told my dentist that his lights need replacing but he didn't buy off on that one. Anyway, I got it by UPS yesterday and mounted it today. I contemplated mounting it off wall or on lathe but wall would be more secure, easier and no vibration from lathe. It works fantastic. I got it for $165 and would have went more if needed as I have wanted one for a good while. I can move this thing in all directions and it shines on project but absolutely no shine in my eyes even when it is raised high. It is very directional and looks like it puts out a lot of light. I really won on this one. Anyway, here it is.

Jim Burr
02-18-2011, 9:39 PM
Great score Allen!! What is the wattage of the lamp(s)?

John Keeton
02-18-2011, 9:46 PM
Allen, I have always been amazed at how much light those things put out without side glare. They also seem to adjust very easily and hold position well. Very nice!

George Morris
02-18-2011, 10:19 PM
That is a great score! Congrats! did you get it on e bay? G

Allen stagg
02-18-2011, 10:32 PM
Got it on eBay. Not sure of the wattage, but it is just a small normal bulb socket and has a bulb about 4" in length and 1" diameter. Doesn't look like a abnormal bulb that coudn't be found most anywhere.

Tim Thiebaut
02-19-2011, 12:37 AM
That is a great find! I get frustrated with the lighting in my shop a lot more lately since I have started turning, expecialy when trying to see inside a box or HF I am working on.

Steve Schlumpf
02-19-2011, 11:51 AM
Congrats!!! Excellent score and at a really good price! I have looked at those - while sitting in the dentist chair - and knew they would work great for turning! Even asked my dentist about it and he told me that they go for around $1500 new. Stopped that dream cold!!! You got a good deal! Enjoy!

Allen stagg
02-19-2011, 12:27 PM
Did same thing and asked my dentist about when he changes them out. He told me they are expensive and he just had all of his refurbished. They are hard to come by unless you know someone or just happen to come across one like I did. Just so happens when I thought about it and looked on eBay, there it was. God was with me on this one. Only one other person bid on it besides me.

Thom Sturgill
02-19-2011, 3:18 PM
I've wanted one since I saw David Marks showing his off.

Marc Himes
02-19-2011, 3:27 PM
Looks like it should work very well. I like the way you have it mounted. Excellent addition.

Marc Himes

Thomas Canfield
02-19-2011, 10:48 PM
How much heat does it put off and is there any problem with dust build-up and bulb life? The dentist lights really do put out he light and I have had similar thoughts.

Allen stagg
02-19-2011, 11:16 PM
Actually, it is a small incadescent light bulb. Very little heat and don't know yet about bulb life. Should be ok however as with most any incadescent light bulb. It is protected from something hitting it as it reflects 100% of the light so, it is covered at all times.