PDA

View Full Version : Lasering and painting 12 x 12 mirro

Linda Kroeker
02-18-2011, 8:24 PM
Hello everyone,

I am lasering a logo on the back of a 12 x 12" mirror...the logo is going to have 2 colors
that will need to be spray painted...lasered the 1st part of the logo...spray painted
it one color let it dry overnight still seemed to be a bit tacky...waited a bit longer,
went to laser through the 1st color where the second color would be, I'm thinking that the
paint was not dry enought because it didn't laser all the way through the paint and mirror
backing...it seems to be even more tacky where I lasered over the paint.
Could anyone give me some pointers on lasering and spray painting the back multi colors?
Or how can I get this to dry faster so I can laser again? tried a heat lamp, and blow dryer.

My settings lasering through the back before painting was 600dpi 45s 100p used this same
setting to laser through the 1st color also. Am I on the right track?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,
Linda

Dee Gallo
02-18-2011, 8:41 PM
Linda,

What kind of paint did you spray on there? My guess is that you used a solvent based paint and it interacted badly with the backing. Not drying completely overnight tells me that there was a chemical reaction that stopped the paint from drying. I've always used acrylic paint on mirrors, not that I have a lot of experience. Someone else I'm sure will clarify that for you.

cheers, dee

Joe Pelonio
02-18-2011, 8:50 PM
I too have used acrylic spray paint with good results. I have not tried Krylon, but switched to acrylic after a bad experience with Rustoleum on acrylic mirror. I have also used airbrush with Createx paint, worked great and allows for mixing any color you need that may not be available in the limited acrylic rattle can colors.

Mike Null
02-19-2011, 5:55 AM
I use acrylic for nearly all my work.

Bill Cunningham
02-22-2011, 8:27 PM
Krylon Fusion works well for black, and drys fast.. For other colours, I also use acrylic.