PDA

View Full Version : Bowl 28 Old-Wood Cherry Box

James Combs
02-18-2011, 7:28 PM
A friend of mine gave me a 5.25"x5.25"x24" piece of old cherry post. I needed to make the LOML something for Valentines day so I thought I would make her a small box from the cherry. It was very dry and had apparently been lying around my friends place for decades. It turned with a lot of tear-out:eek: but sanded nicely:). This box used up about 4 inches of the block so I have some other items planned from it.;)

Stats:
Material = Old Cherry
Diameter = 4.5"
Height = 2.75
Finish = Several coats of WOP (Wood was very thirsty, should probably have used a sealer but didn't:o)

C&C welcome and appreciated.

John Keeton
02-18-2011, 7:40 PM
JD, that sure has some beautiful color! I like the burned in grooves and the style you achieved - nice work!

I have never turned a box, and after the last club meeting and Rex's demo, I think I need to try one or two. I also have a bunch of cherry that would work for some of these.

James Combs
02-18-2011, 7:52 PM
JD, that sure has some beautiful color! I like the burned in grooves and the style you achieved - nice work!

I have never turned a box, and after the last club meeting and Rex's demo, I think I need to try one or two. I also have a bunch of cherry that would work for some of these.

Thanks for the comments John I had fun with this one even with the tear out. Could not get the snap lid function to work like it did on the previous spalted maple HF but it still turned out nice. Probably not something you would won't a snap lid on anyway. I kind of wish I had tried to burn the center ring on the body in the lid to body nit line then the nit line would have disappeared. As is, I now have an odd ring mixed in with my 3 burn rings.

I had just trimmed of the bottom tenon and put one coat of finish on the bottom for the photos. I made the bottom look very dull. It has since been fixed with a couple more coats.

Bernie Weishapl
02-18-2011, 8:16 PM
James that is one nice lidded box. Really nice colored wood and I do like the form. Nicely done James.

Doug W Swanson
02-18-2011, 8:33 PM
I'm sure the recipient was pleased to receive it! Nice form...

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
02-18-2011, 9:00 PM
I agree with John and Bernie -- very pleasing form and I especially like the look of the end-grain in the bottom of the bowl. You guys that can actually make an item -- on time -- for Valentine's day are making the rest of us ne'er-do-wells look bad though!:D:D:D

Great!

Jim Burr
02-18-2011, 9:34 PM
Nice work James! Those boxes are tuff sometimes. Lid fit is a matter of opinion and you made a good call.

Dave Haughs
02-18-2011, 9:38 PM
Love it. I need to learn how to do this.

Steve Schlumpf
02-19-2011, 11:46 AM
Very nice work on this! Love the rich color and the fine detail lines really add to the piece! Seriously - nice work! Thanks for sharing!

charlie knighton
02-19-2011, 12:45 PM
very nice.....

Tim Thiebaut
02-19-2011, 2:14 PM
Thats a very nice box James, the wood has a lot of character, I have never had a chance to turn any cherry yet, I am hoping I get some soon to try out.

Baxter Smith
02-19-2011, 2:39 PM
Nice box. The wood and detail make it a keeper for sure!

James Combs
02-19-2011, 8:28 PM
James that is one nice lidded box. Really nice colored wood and I do like the form. Nicely done James.

I'm sure the recipient was pleased to receive it! Nice form...

Bernie/Doug, Thanks the LOML did like it and says she is tickled with it.:rolleyes:

I agree with John and Bernie -- very pleasing form and I especially like the look of the end-grain in the bottom of the bowl. You guys that can actually make an item -- on time -- for Valentine's day are making the rest of us ne'er-do-wells look bad though!:D:D:D Great!

Jeff don't go overboard with the timeliness praise. I had it turned but didn't get the finish started until the fifteenth.:o

Nice work James! Those boxes are tuff sometimes. Lid fit is a matter of opinion and you made a good call.

Jim you are right, if the snap lid function had worked right I don't think the recipient would have like it as much. Now I can see her popping the lid loose and spilling the contents when it snaps open so a slip fit is definitely better on this. I was really thinking of the function of the box when I was fitting the lid.:o

Love it. I need to learn how to do this.

Dave if I can turn them then they arn't that difficult. Here is a link to a tutorial on our local AAW chapter site that gives the basics. http://bluegrassareawoodturners.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/liddedboxes.pdf

Very nice work on this! Love the rich color and the fine detail lines really add to the piece! Seriously - nice work! Thanks for sharing!

very nice.....

Nice box. The wood and detail make it a keeper for sure!

Steve/Charlie/Baxter, guys thanks for the comments, much appreciated.:)