PDA

View Full Version : Bowl 27 Bradford Pear NE

James Combs
02-18-2011, 6:52 PM
A few months back I help my neighbor cut up a large limb that blew out of his Bradford pear tree. I made this little bowl from a crotch in the limb. Just ignore the Bartlett pear notation on the bottom of the bowl. I had a brain F**t :o when I was signing it. The natural edge did have bark on it but I lost about half of it so I took off the rest. This bowl is from the first piece on the left in the photo of the log pieces.

Stats:
Material = BRADFORD Pear (regardless of what it says:D)
Diameter = 6.5" at it's widest point
Height = 2.75" at it's highest point
Finish = several coats of WOP 1200g sanding between coats

C&C Welcome

Steve Schlumpf
02-18-2011, 7:03 PM
James - that is one good looking bowl! I really like the undulating natural edge! Nice work! You should be happy with this one!

Justin Stephen
02-18-2011, 7:06 PM
I'm normally not a big aesthetic fan of typical shallow NE bowls because of the common swooping, winged shape. I really like this one though, probably because of the undulating edge. Good stuff.

John Keeton
02-18-2011, 7:42 PM
JD, the color on this one really is a surprise! Much deeper than I would have thought. Very nice work, and really, no one will ever know that it isn't Bartlett pear!

James Combs
02-18-2011, 8:04 PM
JD, the color on this one really is a surprise! Much deeper than I would have thought. Very nice work, and really, no one will ever know that it isn't Bartlett pear!

It kind of surprised me too. I didn't realize Bradford Pear had such nice grain too either. Another note on the turning of it. It was still quite green so I turned it to about 1/2" thick and DNA'd it for about 48hours. No cracks except in the pith area of the small lobe. Couldn't get that pith out and still have a good shape to it.

Bernie Weishapl
02-18-2011, 8:13 PM
Really a nice piece James. I like the uneven rim.

Doug W Swanson
02-18-2011, 8:29 PM
Great bowl! I'm not big on glossy finishes but it works on your bowl. Great form, too!

David E Keller
02-18-2011, 9:04 PM
Nice job! Great color, shape, and finish. BP is easily one of my favorite woods to turn... cuts like butter.

Jon Nuckles
02-19-2011, 3:40 PM
That's a really nice looking bowl. Love the hills on the edge and the grain on the inside. Good work.

Marc Himes
02-19-2011, 3:43 PM
Nice bowl. The edge is very interesting.

Marc Himes

Sid Matheny
02-19-2011, 6:49 PM
Looks wonderful and I love it! Too bad they don't make white out for wood.:D

Sid

Dennis Simmons
02-19-2011, 7:19 PM
My wife is concerned that, I might cut down her Bradford Pear tree :) that looks great!

James Combs
02-19-2011, 8:06 PM
I'm normally not a big aesthetic fan of typical shallow NE bowls because of the common swooping, winged shape. I really like this one though, probably because of the undulating edge. Good stuff.

Steve/Justin I agree, it is the three lobes along with the great grain that makes this bowl standout.

Great bowl! I'm not big on glossy finishes but it works on your bowl. Great form, too!

Doug, I just started using WOP and am probably over-killing it at the moment. Have always had problems in the past getting a good gloss finish and now that I discovered how good WOP is... well, like I said, I am probably over doing it a little.:o

Nice job! Great color, shape, and finish. BP is easily one of my favorite woods to turn... cuts like butter.

David, Is that Bradford P or Bartlett P:rolleyes:?? Agree on the "cuts like butter" especially when it is green and wet.

That's a really nice looking bowl. Love the hills on the edge and the grain on the inside. Good work.

Thanks Jon, I agree the edge is great but I wish the bark had held.

Looks wonderful and I love it! Too bad they don't make white out for wood.:D

Hey Sid, you may be onto our next million. Hmmm white out for wood, may have to be a little darker then white though.:D

Sid

My wife is concerned that, I might cut down her Bradford Pear tree :) that looks great!

It has been my experience and my neighbors that all you need is a moderate wind to come close to the Bradford and it will lay down in your yard for you and beg for a chain saw make over.;)

Thomas Canfield
02-19-2011, 10:34 PM
Nice looking. I call mine like that a "barkless natural edge" bowl. Don't you like the way that the BP takes a finish. I can't pass up any BP when I see it down, and often give some to other turners in the local club who are also getting addictive to it. I was lucky and got some 19" D material a couple of years ago, but the latest big material is only 15" D. You need to keep your eye on the tree trunk since it will probably be abailable soon. I have not tried DNA for drying, but turn green and seal with Anchorseal until dry. I have made some utility bowls of BP and applied 3 coats of MAhoney Walnut OIl and it makes a nice using bowl.