PDA

View Full Version : solid phenolic table top 3/4" material

Phil Winn
01-19-2005, 8:38 AM
I am looking to purchase some material-solid phenolic table top 3/4" material;
I would prefer a whitish or Amond color...24" wide material---I need a few feet of this material....any ideas?
Thanks,
Phil

Gary Herrmann
01-19-2005, 9:53 AM
United States Plastics Corp. I got one of their catalogs awhile back and noticed that they sell phenolic in sheet good sizes - 3/4 among them.

Scott Loven
01-19-2005, 10:40 AM
Try McMaster-Carr, they have it also. What size sheet do you need, and what do you plan to do with it? I work at the plant that produces 70% of the Phenolic sheet material produced in the US.
Scott

Jim O'Dell
01-19-2005, 4:58 PM
I work at the plant that produces 70% of the Phenolic sheet material produced in the US.
Scott
So, where can we get the BEST price on this stuff!!!!! ;-) I bet you have some very nice jigs, huh? Jim.

Jim Fancher
01-19-2005, 5:34 PM
I bet you have some very nice jigs, huh? Jim.
You won't believe how I read this when I skimmed over it. :)

John Pollman
01-19-2005, 5:59 PM
You won't believe how I read this when I skimmed over it. :)
HAAAAAH !! :)

Jim O'Dell
01-19-2005, 7:39 PM
Are we gutter dwelling today;-). I could have added shop made in there before jigs, but then we wouldn't have had the laugh! I was at work and typing fast. Glad I didn't make a typo! Jim.

Ken Garlock
01-19-2005, 8:02 PM
Phil, unless you already know, I think you will get "sticker shock" when you price 3/4" stock. I found one place that wanted $237 for 3/4" x 48 x 24 of "CE" grade(whatever that is)

U S Plastic (http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/category.asp?catalog%5Fname=USPlastic&category%5Fname=79&Page=1&utm_id=1&utm_term=phenolic+sheet)

Jim Dunn
01-19-2005, 10:17 PM
Are we gutter dwelling today;-). I could have added shop made in there before jigs, but then we wouldn't have had the laugh! I was at work and typing fast. Glad I didn't make a typo! Jim.
sounds like someone had HOOTERS for lunch

James Carmichael
01-24-2005, 6:19 PM
Phil,

McMaster-Carr is definitely your best source, it would be listed as "Garolite". Grade XX is the least expensive but runs around $22 pbf for 3/4" in the size yor looking for.

If your making a shop table top, I found this article on WoodPecker's site very interesting:

http://www.woodpeck.com/phenvsmdf.html

Scott Loven
04-13-2005, 5:54 PM
I have a work bench table top that is 3/4" thick and is 3'*8', weighs about 200 pounds!
I also have an epoxy-glass extension table on my table saw.
Scott

John Bush
04-13-2005, 7:03 PM
Hi Phil,
I have found some of the phenolic resin stock at salvage yards here in the Seattle area and the prices seemed reasonable. I'd give the old scrap heap a try if the retail venues are too spendy. Good luck, John.

Scott R. Daniels
10-28-2016, 6:29 PM
I have a work bench table top that is 3/4" thick and is 3'*8', weighs about 200 pounds!
I also have an epoxy-glass extension table on my table saw.
Scott

Why so heavy? is it the phenolic ply or the base of your bench table?

This link to Menards has a 4x8x 3/4" phenolic sheet at 62 lbs. That does not seem excessive. Is this product only suitable for concrete forms and not router tables? I see that it can be priced from $49/sheet to $225 (imported from Finland). Does anyone know the distinctions & trade-offs?

https://www.menards.com/main/building-materials/panel-products/construction-panels/concrete-forming-panels/3-4-22-32-4-x-8-tigerform-phenolic-film-plywood/p-1444441905347.htm

Van Huskey
10-28-2016, 7:57 PM
So, where can we get the BEST price on this stuff!!!!!

My guess is Scott's shop when he is at work... :)

Andrew J. Coholic
10-28-2016, 9:35 PM
I think the OP is after 3/4" thick solid phenolic, not phenolic ply which is what the second last poster was referring to.

I have bought some larger pieces (24" by 24") of thick G10 from these guys: http://www.norvaplastics.com/

They were excellent to deal with. I know they sell 3/4 phenolics of various types. CE is "canvas electrical" grade, which is a canvas/resin based phenolic used for its electrical insulating properties. I used to cut some of this stuff for a local Siemans motor shop, where they rewind large mining and industrial motors. Its used in between the windings to hold things in place. A phenolic like G10 is fibreglass based. Some of them are linen and resin based. For a work surface they are all good, but G10 is super hard and flat. Ive made jigs from 1/2" G10 and it works very well, albeit hard to cut to size.

Bill Conerly
10-28-2016, 10:59 PM
In my neighborhood is a large plastic fabricator and reseller. They stock lots of product, and can fabricate a wide variety of products. They have a remnants shop with scraps. Lots of different materials in different shapes and sizes, sold by the pound, cheap--but you are taking whatever you find. If you can find some place like that near you, you can stop by occasionally and find great deals.

Justin Ludwig
10-29-2016, 7:12 AM
My guess is that after almost 12 years, the OP found what he needed.

Bruce Wrenn
10-29-2016, 8:59 PM
Check with local toilet partition supplier. I've often thought about "borrowing" some from HD bathrooms.