PDA

View Full Version : Odds-n-Ends Birdhouse

James Combs
02-18-2011, 6:40 PM
I almost didn't post this after seeing Curt Fuller's Scrub Oak Birdhouse. I like his better then mine but it was just time filler using some scrap I had laying around. It's a miniture only about 5" tall.

Cedar Roof
Unowood midsection
Old poplar lower

A couple coats of WOP

Steve Schlumpf
02-18-2011, 7:04 PM
Wow - lots of color in that little birdhouse! Nice work!

John Keeton
02-18-2011, 7:47 PM
You're just trying to attract a more eclectic type of bird with the multi-wood approach, JD! Nice job. The mid section is an interesting wood - is that some pallet wood you got?

James Combs
02-18-2011, 7:54 PM
You're just trying to attract a more eclectic type of bird with the multi-wood approach, JD! Nice job. The mid section is an interesting wood - is that some pallet wood you got?

Not pallet wood, it was one of the pieces you gave me but it didn't have a name on it. May have been some kind of burl, maybe BLM.

Bernie Weishapl
02-18-2011, 7:58 PM
I have to agree that there is some nice color there. Nicely done James.

Doug W Swanson
02-18-2011, 8:26 PM
That unowood has some really cool colors in it....

Nice looking house!

John Keeton
02-18-2011, 9:09 PM
JD, there were a few chunks of BLM burl in that bunch - probably what this is as the color looks right.

Suzanne Launer
02-19-2011, 2:28 AM
Do you hollow it out on your lathe, or use a Forstner bit?

James Combs
02-19-2011, 7:50 PM
Do you hollow it out on your lathe, or use a Forstner bit?

Suzanne, I would like to say that I am a dedicated turner:rolleyes: and do everything as traditionally as I can, however the truth is that I am fairly lazy:D in my old age and will find the easiest way I can to do something. Soooo... a Forstner bit is the easiest way.;)