PDA

View Full Version : Blind woodworker

Rick Potter
02-18-2011, 4:47 PM
So, here I am at my local purveyor of hardwoods today, and there is a gent walking off a board with his fingers, and mumbling mental calculations. I offered him my tape measure, but he ignored me. The salesman, walking by, noticed and told me he was blind. His wife (?) was at the counter filling a list of supplies, and asking him questions. I have no idea what they were discussing (Spanish), but they had two salesmen filling the large order.

I am sure there is a story here, but unfortunately it would all be speculation on my part.

I have heard of blind carvers before, but they were getting cabinet and trim stuff.

Rick Potter

Kevin Groenke
02-18-2011, 5:45 PM
Mike DeZinno (http://anyonecanwin.net/?page_id=10), is a fairly well know blind carpenter. On first blush it sounds improbable, but when you think about it woodworking requires many more senses than sight. I often can tell more from listening than seeing (unstable wood on a tablesaw, radius too tight on a bandsaw, etc). You'll smell a dull blade or router bit long before you see any smoke. Obviously feeling: resistance when machining, the proper fit and finish, etc. We can all probably learn a lot from these folks' techniques.

-kg

Steve Knowlton
02-18-2011, 7:34 PM
it sounds scary to think of a blind person using tablesaws and such. that being said my wife works for a blind man who builds cabinets. i have seen him use the tablesaw and chopsaw. gives you a new perspective about sight when you watch him. he uses a talking tape sometimes but most of the time it is a folding ruler. i wish i could build cabinets like him. i have come to reliase that if i went blind i still could function. dont think i would use a saw though.