PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly G0656PX Cutter head

Rudy Schneider
02-18-2011, 1:41 PM
I am interested in purchasing a 8" jointer, and was looking at the grizzly 8" line, I noticed that if you buy the G0656, it has an option for a Byrd spiral head. But if you buy the G0656x, it comes with a grizzly spiral head. Any thought on which would be better, the grizzly brand spiral head or one from Byrd?

Michael Sobik
02-18-2011, 2:07 PM
I have the Grizzly head in my G0656 and a Byrd cutter head in my planer. I can't tell the difference in the cut between the two. I have yet to rotate the cutters, or do any maintenance on either of them so I can't address that. I'm happy with the Grizzly cutter head and if I had to do it again, I'd buy the 656x again.

Rudy Schneider
02-18-2011, 3:08 PM
Thanks, I have zero experience with the spiral cutter heads, so I was not sure which would be better. I have heard good things about the Byrd cutter heads, but little about the Grizzly heads.

Van Huskey
02-18-2011, 3:36 PM
First note you can buy a Byrd Shelix head for them BUT it does not come as an installed option. There has been few if any people that argue any of the non-Byrd carbide insert heads provides a better cut or last longer than the true Byrd. I do see two differences in this case the head in the 656X is one that requires the $4.50 per cutter replacements, the Byrd heads cutters (technically bits) are $3 each. 8" heads usually have about 40 bits so roughly $120 to replace them on a Byrd, $180 to replace them on the Grizzly. The Byrd is also made in the USA if that matters to you. In the end I wouldn't hesitate to pay the small premium for the Byrd IF it came installed, I would still personally install it myself given the long term potential savings and US made issue but that may be more than you want to tackle.

Rudy Schneider
02-19-2011, 9:33 PM
thanks I'm thinking I'll go with the Byrd head and change it out.