PDA

View Full Version : Question for G0564 Edge Sander owners

Dave Zellers
02-18-2011, 12:52 PM
Where do you lift it from to get it onto a mobile base?

I haven't ordered it yet but I just need to plan out every detail before I do. I don't see any obvious places to lift it and I don't want to lift by the table or something and damage it.

Dave Zellers
02-18-2011, 1:01 PM
Ahhhhh!!!!!!! I just learned they are out of stock until April.

I may need to find an alternative. Shoot.

Sylvain Deschamps
02-18-2011, 1:28 PM
Dave, check out my last thread titled "Twisted platen on new 108” edge sander".
It’s the same asian built machine. I ended up returning it. I bought a 89” that wasn’t to much twisted and I decided to wait for a better year to purchase some higher quality name.

Van Huskey
02-18-2011, 3:55 PM
Ahhhhh!!!!!!! I just learned they are out of stock until April.

I may need to find an alternative. Shoot.

I don't know how tight your budget was/is with the 564 but you may want to take a look at Vega sanders, made in the US and they are GREAT. They are about the only step between Asian and the super heavy duty US versions like Central Machinery's version.

PS if you search G0564 you should find at least one review with similar issues as Sylvain's with an actual Grizzly. Also if you want that machine make note that 7 or 8 importers bring in that same machine (Delta, Lobo, Extrema etc) but Grizzly is the cheapest.

Dave Zellers
02-18-2011, 5:03 PM
Dave, check out my last thread titled "Twisted platen on new 108” edge sander".
It’s the same asian built machine. I ended up returning it. I bought a 89” that wasn’t to much twisted and I decided to wait for a better year to purchase some higher quality name.

Interesting. Somehow I missed that. I wonder if they are out of stock because they are re-tooling to fix this issue. Regardless, I need an edge sander for the job I'm doing right now.

Dave Zellers
02-18-2011, 5:05 PM
I don't know how tight your budget was/is with the 564 but you may want to take a look at Vega sanders, made in the US and they are GREAT.
They do look good. I wish they made a smaller one. 132" is too big for me.

Van Huskey
02-18-2011, 5:40 PM
Do you need a 108" or will a 89" do?

Dave Zellers
02-18-2011, 5:58 PM
Do you need a 108" or will a 89" do?

An 89 would do. I actually started looking at the Jet and ended up at Grizzly looking at the 563 and then rationalized the 564 was only $200 more. Now you've got me looking at the Vega and I'm thinking it's still under 2 Grand.

But I need to get back to reality- yes, I think an 89 would be perfect actually.

Whattayagot?:)

Sylvain Deschamps
02-18-2011, 6:11 PM
I bought a smaller edge sander at 900$ to complete a job I am doing presently. But I did research the Vega and It seems to to be the one for me. It's 132'' which would be great and the quality seems to be superior than asian makes according to comments on the this net. I called them up and I can have it delivered for 250$. I am going to finish off this job and most probably buy one early this fall. Still have to see with customes. Might even take a holiday road trip with lol to Decatur, Illinois and pick it up myself!

Van Huskey
02-18-2011, 6:30 PM
An 89 would do. I actually started looking at the Jet and ended up at Grizzly looking at the 563 and then rationalized the 564 was only $200 more. Now you've got me looking at the Vega and I'm thinking it's still under 2 Grand.

But I need to get back to reality- yes, I think an 89 would be perfect actually.

Whattayagot?:)

My choice would be either the Jet oscillating 89" (900-950 shipped) or the General International oscillating 89" for under 910 shipped from Tools-plus. They have the GI non-oscillating for about $100 less. Grizzly doesn't have a 89" except the G0563 which is similar to the 564 except length.

I am planning on getting an oscillating edge sander in the next few months. I originally was getting the G0564 until I read of the issues AND thought about upping my budget. Now I am either getting a Vega is I decide to expand my budget or either the Jet or GI version I listed above. The Vega is MUCH better BUT I have to decide if I will get value out of the more than double cost.

Paul McGaha
02-18-2011, 6:37 PM
I've been thinking over the Delta 31-396. I've searched here on the creek and it seemed to be well liked by its owners.

Just no room for it in my 2 car garage shop. Wish there was.

Priced at about $2100.

PHM

Van Huskey
02-18-2011, 7:23 PM
I've been thinking over the Delta 31-396. I've searched here on the creek and it seemed to be well liked by its owners.

Just no room for it in my 2 car garage shop. Wish there was.

Priced at about $2100.

PHM

That is another of the copies of the same machine as the G0564.

Plus for that price you can have a Vega, the difference between the two is monumental not to mention the Vega is bigger.

http://www.vegawoodworking.com/

Dave Zellers
02-18-2011, 11:05 PM
Just pulled the trigger on the Jet.

$899 shipped from Tools-Plus.

Dave Zellers
03-01-2011, 10:48 PM
Just pulled the trigger on the Jet.

$899 shipped from Tools-Plus.

Well, it arrived yesterday and I assembled it today and spent about 1/2 hour testing it out and sanding some ash side grain and end grain with the 100 grit belt provided.

I'm impressed! The box arrived on a day that was pouring rain, shrink wrapped in plastic. Nice. Belt tracking was perfect out of the box. I was worried that it would be too aggressive but it is not. Especially with ash- man, is that stuff hard. A light touch on the end grain using the miter gauge to hold it at 90º, created a perfect sanded end grain. Square and straight. Can't wait to touch up the edges of the ash cabinet doors I'll be building, which was the reason for pursuing an edge sander.

Yes, only a half hour on it so far, but I like it! I have more than enough experience (30+ years) to extrapolate that half hour and know just how to make this tool work for me. This will actually fit in my shop better than a 108" sander would. Many thanks to all who contributed their 2 cents.

Talk about extrapolating, my mind is already filling up with thoughts and rationalizations regarding drum sanders.

Hmmmmmm......... 16-32 or 22-44?

Aye, that's the rub. LOL!

Dave Lehnert
03-01-2011, 11:02 PM
I've never used one but always thought the motor speed on edge sanders were too high(JET and the like) 3,400 rpm. Was looking at Grizzly because of the 1,700 rpm. Seems like that high of speed is just way too fast for a belt sander. Am I wrong?

Dave Zellers
03-02-2011, 8:18 AM
I've never used one but always thought the motor speed on edge sanders were too high(JET and the like) 3,400 rpm. Was looking at Grizzly because of the 1,700 rpm. Seems like that high of speed is just way too fast for a belt sander. Am I wrong?

I thought so too before but having used it I've changed my mind. Grit size and operator pressure seem to be the important factors. I would love it if this had 2 speeds or better yet, variable speed.

Van Huskey
03-02-2011, 2:54 PM

Most edge sanders are going to run between 3,000 and 4,000 SFPM despite motor speed. If I remember correctly the Grizzly is at the lower end of the "Goldilocks" range and the Jet at the upper end. Just for reference Vega edge sanders run at 4,000 SFPM and they tout it as "ideal" but it all comes down to touch which one can adapt to most any sander.