PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of Chisels...

Tom LaRussa
01-18-2005, 11:37 PM
These arrived today.

One Stanely 720,

One "Made in USA"

One Swedish

One Buck Brothers (the butt chisel)

First three are in very good shape; just need a tiny bit of polishing, a quick touchup on the main bevel, and a handle here or there. The Buck Brothers has a bunch of pitting on the beveled side of the blade, and is in generally lousy condition.

Here are some pics. Can you guess which one I have my eye on as a keeper? :D

Mark Stutz
01-19-2005, 9:29 PM
Since your eye is on the Buck ;) as the keeper, you can send the 720 to me! :D

Tom LaRussa
01-20-2005, 12:43 PM
Since your eye is on the Buck ;) as the keeper, you can send the 720 to me! :D
Will do Mark. And if any of these -- http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=15972 -- turn out to be nasty old 720's or (Heaven forbid!) 750's, I'll send those pieces of junk right on over too. :p

RichMagnone
01-20-2005, 3:47 PM
Tom, what method do you use to polish up the chisels?

Tom LaRussa
01-20-2005, 10:37 PM
Tom, what method do you use to polish up the chisels?
Hi Rich,

That's a good question, to which I do not yet have an answer. I've only received the four chisels as of yet. I won't be making any decisions until the big package -- 37 chisels -- arrives.

But I'll keep everybody informed as to what works and what doesn't -- with my track record, of course, it will mostly be what doesn't. :rolleyes:

Louis Bois
01-21-2005, 7:57 AM
YIKES!!!! Don't polish anything!!!! Just lap the back...sharpen it up...apply groovy, custom handles as required...and away you go!

Tom LaRussa
01-21-2005, 10:09 AM
YIKES!!!! Don't polish anything!!!! Just lap the back...sharpen it up...apply groovy, custom handles as required...and away you go!
Hey Louis,

Okay, I agree for the most part about not polishing.

But shouldn't I make an exception if the chisel is badly pitted? For example, that Buck Bros butt chisel in the above pic has pretty deep pits. So, since it's already ugly, and certainly no collector's item, why shouldn't I grind it down to sound metal so that it is at least a good user?

Louis Bois
01-21-2005, 10:33 AM
Well...I suppose you could...then again, wouldn't it look great with a #8 wood screw through the handle...hanging over the fireplace?!?

Tom LaRussa
01-21-2005, 11:16 AM
Well...I suppose you could...then again, wouldn't it look great with a #8 wood screw through the handle...hanging over the fireplace?!?
Well, we mostly don't have fireplaces down here in Florida, but I see your point nonetheless. :D

Mark Stutz
01-21-2005, 8:57 PM
Soooo Tommmmm
I'll PM my address to you so you can send me that piece of junk, that "nasty 720" up here to St.Louis :D :eek: ;) .

Mark