PDA

View Full Version : My entry for the Mickey Mouse hall of fame

Rick Potter
02-18-2011, 11:52 AM
A friend was visiting next door, and came over to ask for help getting into her car, which was locked. The remote button clicked, but didn't open the door. The key clicked the lock, but didn't open the door. The door handle on the other side was broken off...it was plastic (99 Chrysler Sebring, but the door lock said Mitsubishi).

After trying the same things she had tried, plus putting pressure on the door to possibly take the strain off the opener, I finally called the Auto Club. They came out quickly and instead of a slim jim, they put a tiny air bag between the window and frame which gave them some wiggle room to run a probe in the window to actually hook the handle from the inside, which worked. Pretty neat, and I had never seen this before.

After he left, advising us there was probably some linkage in the door which had come loose, we tried the door with the window down. There was just no way she could shut the door unless she left the window down to get in. Now, this lady recently kicked out an abusive husband, and is almost destitute, so naturally my hero complex kicked in, and I said I would try to fix it.

I spent about two hours removing the door panel, checking wiring, looking for loose linkage, and finding nothing but a few cracked plastic parts. It turns out the outside key actuates the electric lock mechanism. My hands were not small enough to get the actual lock off, but it was obvious someone had worked on it before as two of the three screws that held it on were missing. Unbelievably, it was not loose.

Anyway I had no luck, and the lady still had no way to close her car door without the window down, and heavy rains are expected today. Finally we get to the hall of fame entry.

I took a length of strong cord, made a loop that would not slip off the inside door handle, snaked it into the trunk, and (woodworking part) drilled a hole through a dowell for a handle. Now she can open the trunk, pull the cord, and get into the car.

She is overjoyed it works. I am ashamed to have not been able to fix it right. I doubt that it will ever be fixed correctly.

Rick Potter

Dan Hintz
02-18-2011, 12:14 PM
Likely a plastic crimp or washer holding the linkages in place broke from age or heavy-handed abuse... all it takes is a little extra looseness in those things to prevent the lock from engaging.

Jim Rimmer
02-18-2011, 12:15 PM
More like Rube Goldberg than Mickey Mouse but pretty ingenious anyway. (BTW, had to consult the dictionary for correct word - ingenious vs ingenuous) :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rube_Goldberg

Mike Cutler
02-18-2011, 2:15 PM
Rick

It works and she has use of her car back. Well Done!!!

Sometimes Mickey has the better short term solution.;)

Belinda Barfield
02-18-2011, 2:24 PM
For all womankind - Thank You Rick. Real heroes are hard to come by these days it seems. I'm sure she is especially appreciative of your kindness considering the background.

Rick Potter
02-18-2011, 4:29 PM
Awww, shucks ma'am, it weren't nothin'.

Rick P.

Pat Germain
02-19-2011, 12:06 PM
I'm a big Mickey Mouse fan myself and I think Mickey would be proud.

Mike Circo
02-19-2011, 1:52 PM
Here is your chance to be famous... sort of.

There is a site called "ThereIfixedIt.com" That has photos of just the kind of fixes you describe.

Good to know you are not alone.

Phil Thien
02-19-2011, 2:06 PM
I think it sounds kinda kewl. If I had that setup in my car I think I'd actually show it off.

Nice job!

Van Huskey
02-19-2011, 7:48 PM
There are FEW things I won't try to fix, a nuclear weapon and ANYTHING inside a modern car door are the short list.

Rick Potter
02-20-2011, 3:13 AM
Maybe I can get my moment of fame on Jay Leno. He has a recurring spot on fixes like that.

Rick P

PS: Phil, if you would really like this on your car, I can sell you a kit, but you have to install it yourself. Only $19.95 plus shipping and handling.