PDA

View Full Version : Traveling with a mini lathe

Joe Breid
01-18-2005, 10:36 PM
I am going to visit my sister's family in Kansas this weekend and wanted to take my mini lathe along. I plan to teach my neice and nephew (8 and 6 years old) how to make a pen. We will be making them out of some walnut from a tree that my father planted many years ago.

I made the following lathe stand from a folding saw horse by fastening a piece of plywood to the top. The saw horse has adjustable legs so I can lower it for the kids. It folds up very compact so it will not take up much room in the car.

The second picture shows the stand, lathe and turning tools/supplies ready to go. The case for the tools is a plastic case that a router came in with the inside molding removed.

Joe

Jim Becker
01-18-2005, 11:22 PM
That's a pretty kewel idea, Joe! I've been thinking about picking up a mini to have a second lathe around for teaching, portabilty and some other utility, but have been struggling with the old "what to do with it when it's not in use" problem. This just might be the answer! Thanks for sharing it.

Specifically, where did you happen to get that particular folding saw horse?

Bruce Shiverdecker
01-19-2005, 12:00 AM
Very nice. I'm sure the kids will enjoy turning the pens. Make sure we see pictures.

BTW Joe (as Sundance said to Butch " Ya think you used enough dinamite?") Ya think Ya Got enough CA there, Joe? HeHe

Bruce

Wes Bischel
01-19-2005, 1:35 AM
Really cool Joe. I wish you were my uncle when I was growing up. My uncle sometimes has a hard time figuring out which end of the hammer to use. :rolleyes:

Wes

Dick Parr
01-19-2005, 7:48 AM
Really nice Joe, looks like you have all you will need in a small package. :) Does you sister know how much this is going to cost her once you get the kids hooked on turning, :eek: we won't tell :D

Have fun Joe and enjoy the time with the kids. :)

Robert Cox
01-19-2005, 8:01 AM
Great idea.

Bu I have a question.

How're you gonna sharpen those tools?

Or will you be OK given the limited use?

Joe Breid
01-19-2005, 8:18 AM
Jim,
I bought the saw horse at Blain's Farm and Fleet store. I have also seen a similar model at Menards.

Robert,
Thanks for reminding me. I plan to take the Dremel tool along to touch upp the tools if they need sharpening. I had forgotton to "put it in the pile".

I have tried the Dremel already and it works ok although not as good as with the grinder.

Joe

Keith Outten
01-19-2005, 8:41 AM
Here is a possible solution to sharpening chisels while traveling. The Chisel Mate is sold by Penn State Industries and sells for $20 to $25 depending on which lathe spindle you have. The disk is made from 1/4" acrylic which any woodworker could easilly turn on their lathe. All you need is a nut and washer and adhesive backed abrasive disks and your in business. Of course you can order the kit if you prefer to part with the cash.

These work really well and will easilly keep your chisels sharp through an extended absence from your shop and normal sharpening system. For you guys who are just starting out and cannot afford the fancy/expensive sharpening systems this is a suitable alternative to get you going.

Scott Loven
01-19-2005, 10:25 AM
How about some wheels like this (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&cat=1,240&p=49718)?

Scott

Bruce Shiverdecker
01-19-2005, 4:19 PM
Thanks Kieth. Since I do a lot of demonstrations to get donations for FPP, I need something like that.

Bruce

Mark Hulette
01-20-2005, 7:23 PM
Hey Joe~

Do I detect a VS on your mini? If so, please elaborate.

Thanks!