PDA

View Full Version : 65 lb log on my Robust

Don Geiger
02-18-2011, 9:13 AM
183110 This is a 65 lb Camphor log mounted on my Robust American Beauty. I'm in the process of turning a winged hollow form from it. I'm about 2/3 done with it. I'll post an "after" photo when I get done.

Don Geiger

Steve Schlumpf
02-18-2011, 9:24 AM
Don - will be interested in seeing the finished result! Please - when you show the final version - upload a larger photo so we can appreciate your work!

So... how does your lathe handle that large of a chunk of wood?

Greg Just
02-18-2011, 9:44 AM
That is one BIG log, but you have one Big lathe to turn it on. Hope you are wearing a football helmet for protection. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Rich Stewart
02-18-2011, 9:50 AM
Why is your lathe in the driveway? Clean up with a leaf blower? I don't see any wheels, though.

bob svoboda
02-18-2011, 10:05 AM
Can't wait to see that bad boy finished! Do you drive that lathe to and from work?

Allen stagg
02-18-2011, 10:06 AM
Why is your lathe in the driveway? Clean up with a leaf blower? I don't see any wheels, though.

Just speed the lathe up and as it walks around, can just guide it where he wants it?... That thing must want to really jump with log chucked sideways.

Greg Ketell
02-18-2011, 10:48 AM
Now THAT coulda been one heck of a "Start to Finish" thread!!

I can hardly wait to see the completed turning.

Bill Bolen
02-18-2011, 10:54 AM
Whoa! Anxious to see the finished piece now...Bill...

Don Geiger
02-18-2011, 11:13 AM
I usually turn outside. The light and air is better. I position the lathe under an old 10 X 10 artist's tent with provides white diffused light. The clean-up is easier too.

I have the caster kit that was provided by Robust. It takes about 10 minutes to set up and get off the casters.

Don

Can't wait to see that bad boy finished! Do you drive that lathe to and from work?

Dick Wilson
02-18-2011, 11:27 AM
Don, The whole thing is impressive so far. Doing your work in the driveway is probably great for marketing if it is a busy street. Just don't start out like the guy did in his video on YouTube!!!! Leave the Roughing Gouge in the garage.

Dan Forman
02-18-2011, 1:42 PM
No fair teasing! I'll bet you raise the eyebrows of some passers by. Looking forward to seeing the results.

Dan

Don Geiger
02-18-2011, 5:27 PM
Here's an update photo. I'm turning a winged hollow form. The pictuure shows the top 1/2 above the wing. The hollow form will run horizontally through the natural edged wing. I'm intentionally keeping the wing thick with hopes that it will serve as a stand. Since the photo I have the top 1/2 finished and spent about 2.5 hours making a new jamb/vacuum chuch to to use to turn it around and work on the lower 1/2. When I get the lower half completed, I'll turn it back around so I can hollow it.

For those of you that were wondering about attracting passer bys, the location is on 10 acres and about 600' back from the road through the woods. Sorry about the photo size, but if it's any bigger the system rejects it.

Justin Stephen
02-18-2011, 6:57 PM
I got to see a Robust in person in Trent Bosch's shop a few weeks back. It is a beautiful piece of equipment.