PDA

View Full Version : What's the difference between these carbide cutters?

Suzanne Launer
02-17-2011, 9:25 PM
Can someone look at these carbide cutters from Grizzly, and tell me why the big cost difference between them?

H7354
H7319
H9893

I don't get it...??

Van Huskey
02-17-2011, 11:01 PM
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Shelix-Indexable-Carbide-Inserts-10-Pk-/H7354
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Indexable-Carbide-Inserts-Carbide-10-Pack/H7319
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Indexable-Carbide-Insert-10-pk-for-G0603X/H9893

I have always wondered why Grizzly heads have so many sizes (that appears to be the difference) where Byrd keeps it simple with one size.

What I think is funny is the carbide "bit" shown as the Byrd in the Grizzly catalog doesn't look like a Byrd since the sides are straight where the Byrd bits have a 4" radius.

Wes Grass
02-17-2011, 11:07 PM
The first 2 are different in size, and the 'Shelix' inserts *should* have a slightly radiused face so they cut a roughly flat surface when running in a helical orientation. The second one is probably straight, and are used in a 'spiral' head.

No idea on the last one. Seems to be the same as the Shelix, but maybe they have a different hole size or they're coated for wear resistance. Nice that the specific machine they're used on needs 17 packages of them (~$1100) for a full replacement.

There's yet another 14mm version on the cutterhead page as well, T21348, at $44 something. 'German made', for whatever that's worth, as are the cheaper ones.

Van Huskey
02-17-2011, 11:18 PM
Nice that the specific machine they're used on needs 17 packages of them (~$1100) for a full replacement.

That is one reason I will always buy a Byrd head over the Grizzly heads with the $6 per bits. It really kills the long term savings of the spiral heads.

Matt Saragusa
02-18-2011, 12:07 AM
What will you be using these for, is a big question? If you are make a lathe tool, just go with the cheapest, they will all work.

If you really want to know the difference

H7354 (round edge, made to work on sheared helical head, like byrd shelix heads, or similar heads)
H7319 (straight edge with microbevel, made to work on straight helical cutterheads)
H9893 (thicker cutter tip with blend bevel, made to work on typically 6" diameter straight helical cutter heads)

I have sold these in the past :-) (not for grizzly)

Van Huskey
02-18-2011, 12:53 AM
What will you be using these for, is a big question? If you are make a lathe tool, just go with the cheapest, they will all work.

If you really want to know the difference

H7354 (round edge, made to work on sheared helical head, like byrd shelix heads, or similar heads)
H7319 (straight edge with microbevel, made to work on straight helical cutterheads)
H9893 (thicker cutter tip with blend bevel, made to work on typically 6" diameter straight helical cutter heads)

I have sold these in the past :-) (not for grizzly)

Now, THAT is an answer! :)

glenn bradley
02-18-2011, 9:01 AM
Nice that the specific machine they're used on needs 17 packages of them (~$1100) for a full replacement.

That is another point in their favor. Even if you needed the exspensive ones, you would never need a full set, just enough to replace the ones you damaged. If you use a planer enough to wear out all four sides on most of your cutters, you can afford to replace them :D:D:D