PDA

View Full Version : Manzanita, wood of the day

Larry Pickering
02-17-2011, 6:57 PM
My attempt at manzanita, the hollow form is 6 x 4" . Lacquer with automotive candy apple tint. The second one, all the duct tape in the world couldn't save it.
See if I can figure-out how to attach photo's

Larry

John Keeton
02-17-2011, 7:21 PM
Nice work, Larry! I like the color. The other "piece" could be entitled "Ancient Pottery Shard" - makes it worth more $$$!!:D

Donny Lawson
02-17-2011, 7:47 PM
I agree. The first one looks nice.

Harry Robinette
02-17-2011, 8:44 PM
Larry
Like the first one,Don't care for pottery shard's. But really nice work I like the candy coloring, looks sharp.
Harry

Bernie Weishapl
02-17-2011, 8:48 PM
Larry I do like the cherry color and the form. To bad about the second one.

David E Keller
02-17-2011, 10:19 PM
The first is a looker... I'm sure the second was a looker at some point before it committed suicide. Too bad as I think it was gonna be nice.

Steve Schlumpf
02-18-2011, 9:22 AM
Larry - glad to see you figured out how to post photos! Very nice hollow form! Pretty wood and I like your use of color - just enough to tint but not so much as to hide the grain! Nice work!

Sorry to see the remaining piece of Manzanita.... it does happen!

Looking forward to seeing what you turn next!

Jim Burr
02-18-2011, 9:58 AM
Good looking stuff Larry! Reattach the broken pieces with brass rod and call it art! You'll make millions!

bob svoboda
02-18-2011, 10:07 AM
Nice HF. Really like the use of the color.

Greg Ketell
02-18-2011, 10:46 AM
Wow, that first one really turned out nice!

Larry Pickering
02-18-2011, 12:42 PM
Forgot to mention, the cracks and voids were filled with epoxy glue, tinted with the same Radiance tint, doesn't show that great, I'm still at the bottom of the curve on taking pitchers.

Larry

Darren Jamieson
02-18-2011, 1:13 PM
Really like the HF, the color makes it pop. What's to be said about he second one, we've all had one of those. Better luck next time.

Brian McInturff
02-18-2011, 2:36 PM
The second one can still be saved. Go ahead and finish the piece you show in the pic. Do whatever coloring you are going to add. Set some artificial greenery and a few artificial wild flowers and you will have a very decorative piece. My wife works wonders with my explosions. Nice job BTW on the other one too!

Justin Stephen
02-18-2011, 6:59 PM
The second one can still be saved. Go ahead and finish the piece you show in the pic. Do whatever coloring you are going to add. Set some artificial greenery and a few artificial wild flowers and you will have a very decorative piece. My wife works wonders with my explosions.

Agreed. That would look nice indeed if done right.

James Combs
02-18-2011, 8:11 PM
I can't tell how large the exploded piece is but perhaps there is enough there to make a couple pen blanks. That way it would be a complete loss.