PDA

View Full Version : Saving a Piece of Crappy Wood...

Wally Dickerman
02-17-2011, 5:58 PM
I firmly believe in the saying "Life is too short to turn crappy wood". But once in awhile a piece of crappy wood comes along that is worth saving. Beautiful figure, probably spalted, but almost too punky to turn without a lot of problems. What to do....

Sometimes the wood is just too far gone to turn so I toss it. However, if I can get it rough turned maybe it can be saved. Becomes a challenge.

I've mentioned my 50/50 white glue and water method before but I'll describe it here again in better detail. Sometimes it works and sometimes not. The beauty in some wood makes it worth the effort.

I rough turn the blank, hopefully without too much damage from torn wood. Be aware that the piece will probably warp a bit so allow for that. Sharp tools and cutting carefully with the grain are necessary. White glue in quart size isn't too costly from Michael's or Walmart. Mix with an equal amount of water (white glue is already mostly water) I use a small plastic tub. I turn using a glue block because the wood is too punky to hold a tenon. I keep the glue block out of the mix. It's held down with a rock because the wood wants to float. I soak for at least 24 hours. A little more if the wood is really bad. After a week or more to dry out, the piece goes back on the lathe to be finished. One real plus here is that small cracks usually just disappear. The wood swells and you're soaking it in glue. Save the glue mix in a gallon jug for the next one.

I get a lot of satisfaction when I end up with a beautiful piece that otherwise would be firewood. Some time ago a member of our club brought in a lovely, partly turned platter of figured Alaska cedar. He asked me if I could finish it. It was obviously cut from a stump because about a third of it was almost rotten and was full of small cracks. I had my doubts but I tried the glue soak on the bad part of the piece. It worked! The result was a very nice 14 inch platter which the club raffled off for almost $300.

The pic is one that I saved some time ago. Was it worth the effort?

Wally

Steve Vaughan
02-17-2011, 6:00 PM
Heck yeah! That's nice looking and worth the extra work!

Tim Thiebaut
02-17-2011, 6:02 PM
That looks like a very worth while save, came out very nice!

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
02-17-2011, 6:08 PM
Ditto, ditto, ditto!!! And thanks for the "sauce" receipe!

Steve Schlumpf
02-17-2011, 6:11 PM
Wally - you continue to crack me up!! Your 'saves' are better than my best!!! I will keep your glue recipe in mind because there are times when we come across really special wood! Thanks for sharing! Hope you are getting in lots of turning time!!

Richard Madden
02-17-2011, 6:12 PM
Yes Wally, it was worth the effort. Thanks for sharing.

David E Keller
02-17-2011, 6:14 PM
I think your effort was worthwhile... That piece is beautiful.

Thanks for the instruction on the method as well. Just curious about how long the mix will last in the jug?

John Keeton
02-17-2011, 6:56 PM
Wally, great save!! Beautifully done, but then, one would expect no less. Thanks for the recipe, too. As an added plus, I bet it makes finishing the piece somewhat easier, as well, because a lot of the grain is filled.

BTW, I like the collar treatment on this one!

Wally Dickerman
02-17-2011, 7:16 PM
I think your effort was worthwhile... That piece is beautiful.

Thanks for the instruction on the method as well. Just curious about how long the mix will last in the jug?

I don't know for sure David. Not long ago I threw out a jug of mix that I'd had for a year or two.

Wally

Dale Miner
02-17-2011, 8:06 PM
"The pic is one that I saved some time ago. Was it worth the effort?"

Yup.

Wally,

I've a piece of spalted beech that will get the 50/50 treatment soon. Hope the soak saves it.

Later,
Dale M

Bernie Weishapl
02-17-2011, 9:01 PM
Yep Wally that is a beauty. I do like the form and finish.

Michael James
02-17-2011, 9:09 PM
Absolutely! Thanks for the tip.

charlie knighton
02-17-2011, 9:43 PM
very nice, thanks for sharing Wally

Donny Lawson
02-17-2011, 9:44 PM
I cannot say enough about the spalted wood that pops up on this forum. It's all GREAT. Beautiful.

Don Alexander
02-17-2011, 9:58 PM
gorgeous piece of wood and nicely done HF

Curt Fuller
02-17-2011, 10:41 PM
Wally, thanks for posting this. The Hollowform is a beauty. I remember you referring to the glue and water soak quite a while back and it's been floating in my mind ever since. I appreciate the extra details to the process. I've got to try that sometime.

Steve Kubien
02-17-2011, 11:17 PM
Nice save Wally. You know, a few more years of practice and you could get really good a this turning thing. (ya, tongue poking a hole in my cheek now).

Fabulous as always.

Baxter Smith
02-17-2011, 11:38 PM
Beautiful hollowform and great idea to try. Found one beautiful piece of spalted maple in a firewood pile this summer. There were a dozen others that were just as pretty but too far gone. Or so I thought at the time. If I ever find some more like that.... Thanks!

Ryan Baker
02-17-2011, 11:51 PM
I've got a nice piece of beautifully spalted maple on the lathe right now that needs the glue soak treatment -- though it very well may be too far gone. A friend gave me a bunch of blanks, but je never seals anything or otherwise takes any care with the drying, so they come to me with pretty severe cracks usually. Sometimes they are just too pretty to scrap without trying to save them.

Michelle Rich
02-18-2011, 7:27 AM
worth it? yes. sincerely. it is a delight to look at

bob svoboda
02-18-2011, 8:49 AM
Oh, yeah. Surely worth it. Beautiful HF!

Jim Burr
02-18-2011, 10:08 AM
I don't know much, but I know that looks great! Nice save!!

George Guadiane
02-18-2011, 10:41 AM
That piece is WELL worth the effort. You did a great job.

Darren Jamieson
02-18-2011, 1:28 PM
I am not sure any more could be added about the piece. Thanks for the recipe, up here it isn't usually very hard to find great wood like that in ones firewood pile.

Cathy Schaewe
02-19-2011, 9:19 AM
What a beautiful piece -