PDA

View Full Version : I need your help please..........

aurelio alarcon
01-18-2005, 9:00 PM
I have applied a dark stain to an exterior door that is way...too dark. What can I apply to remove it instead of sanding? Is there such a thing as stain remover? Please help me all you stain gurus....please...

Jerry Olexa
01-18-2005, 9:49 PM
The only partial remedy I know is to flush with Mineral spirits and rub/wipe vigorously. This will lighten it a bit. Then sand and repeat . I know of no stain remover. Good Luck...Ideally, this should be done before the stain "dries". No easy solution.

aurelio alarcon
01-19-2005, 12:58 PM
The only partial remedy I know is to flush with Mineral spirits and rub/wipe vigorously. This will lighten it a bit. Then sand and repeat . I know of no stain remover. Good Luck...Ideally, this should be done before the stain "dries". No easy solution.Thanks Jerry. Unfortunately, I tried this, and it didn't work. Fortunately for me, when the homeowner got home he loved the dark color!

Earl Kelly
01-19-2005, 8:08 PM
Next time you have a similar problem and have not put finish on, use some Laquer thinner. It should take most of the stain off, provided it's a pigmented wiping stain, which most commercial stain is.

aurelio alarcon
01-19-2005, 10:05 PM
Next time you have a similar problem and have not put finish on, use some Laquer thinner. It should take most of the stain off, provided it's a pigmented wiping stain, which most commercial stain is.I'll keep that in mind Earl. I used Minwax. I don't know if it is a pigmented stain or not. Thanks for the advice.

Bill White
01-20-2005, 1:25 PM
Don't know what wood your'e using.....Most drastic measure would be wood bleach if sanding won't lighten it up.

aurelio alarcon
01-21-2005, 12:15 AM
Don't know what wood your'e using.....Most drastic measure would be wood bleach if sanding won't lighten it up.Thank goodness that the owner liked the color. Had he not liked it, I would have had to have sanded the door to bare wood. Once I noticed that the stain was too dark, it was too late to lighten it with mineral spirits ( I tried to no avail).