PDA

View Full Version : Vector cut start point

Robert Walters
02-17-2011, 4:23 PM
In Corel 14, I have a square with rounded corners.

When I cut it out of acrylic, the start/end point of the cut leaves a "dimple" for lack of better terms.

How can I move the start/stop point to another location on the path so I can hide the dimple in the finished product?

Richard Rumancik
02-17-2011, 6:05 PM
If there is a location that is not visible in the finished product, then the solution is easier. You will have a closed shape (rectangle w/rounded corners). Select the shape, click Arrange -> Convert to curves. Then select the shape again, and decide the node where you want to break it (start/stop). Right click on this node and click "break apart". The laser will start and stop cutting at the break. This node will look different than the others. (You can also control direction of the cut, CW or CCW by selecting and right clicking and using Reverse curve.)

In some cases you need to move the start/stop right off the part. This is harder to do (actually, just harder to explain). When you need to do that, just ask . . .

Bruce Volden
02-17-2011, 6:20 PM
Robert, Richard has the solution. Imagine cutting a V shape in a continuous motion, if you looked at the point under a loupe you would see a "rounded" area since the laser would have to continue the cut for this file. But, if you made 2 lines in the shape of the V it would be 2 separate cuts and the point would now be "sharp". Hope this explains things better.

Bruce

Robert Walters
02-17-2011, 9:22 PM
Thanks Guys,

It makes perfect sense, just for some odd reason I've always thought that cuts have to be a closed path.

Guess it comes from cleaning up a LOT of crappy clipart for use on CNC with crossed paths, open paths that go nowhere, zillions of nodes, and layer abuse!