PDA

View Full Version : A nice old Disston #12

george wilson
02-17-2011, 4:02 PM
I thought I'd begin to put up some pics of a few nice old tools I have. This one I have never cleaned or done a thing to. I got it in 1970.

It just says 12 on the blade,so is a pre late 20's one. Blade is 26 3/8" x 7 1/4" high at the heel. It has a straight back with nib. It is 12 tpi.,and is not breasted. It is pretty sharp,and I doubt it has ever been resharpened from new.

The etch is there,but is faint. It may never have been etched deeply to begin with,because there are only very superficial water drop type marks on the blade,and the handle shows most of its new color in applewood. The saw doesn't seem used.

I'll leave it to the saw experts to talk about it. I don't fancy myself a collector,just a user,though somehow I seem to acquire more tools than I really use! That means I'm just a tool pig.

I wasn't able to shoot the Disston etch,though it can be seen by eye in the right angle.

george wilson
02-17-2011, 5:09 PM
So,how does one date this saw more closely? I have examined a Disston site from David. The only difference I can see is how much the rear end of the blade is rounded. Unfortunately,the site doesn't go into details about these particular little differences.

These saws were made from 1865 to 1928. Mine does not have split screws.

Chris Vandiver
02-17-2011, 5:10 PM
George, that's a nice saw. The medallion dates that saw somewhere between 1896-1917.
By the way, there is a high demand for Disston #12 12ppi.

george wilson
02-17-2011, 5:15 PM
I am too tired. The saw is 8 tpi. I seem to be making MANY mistakes right now. Sorry.

Jonathan McCullough
02-17-2011, 5:16 PM
Nice saw. I never liked No. 12-style handles until trying a Simonds No. 61 that has a really, really nice saw plate. Never seen any real discussion of the double loops on the bottom of a No. 12 handle, but what do you think they're all about? They're not exactly perfect as a provision for holding the saw upright (vertical) and sawing at bench-height. I'm suspecting it's merely one of Henry Disstons "innovations." From a manufacturing perspective it seems like it would be less fussy than making the angled divot in a No. 7 or D-8.

David Weaver
02-17-2011, 5:19 PM
I would guess it's intended to be room for a thumb of the left hand of a sawyer.

The marks on that saw look like the kinds of marks a wrapper leaves (as opposed to pits). I'd like to see the rest of the plate, but I know george doesn't much like fighting the picture system. My 12s also have a somewhat light etch, I don't think they were ever a dark black thick looking etch. None of mine are in quite as good of condition as that one, two are dark and smooth and the one that's bright has had just a little pitting - but a little pitting is not the same as none.

I would oil the handle on it to even it out a little for the couple of spots that look like tool box wear.

It looks like a nice saw.

george wilson
02-17-2011, 5:47 PM
I'd rather not do anything to the handle. It looks better in person as the photos magnify. Oil might tend to darken scratches in the finish. The blade could be polished carefully. I haven't ever fooled with it,and from a conservator's point of view,sometimes that's the best thing to have done.

Jonathan McCullough
02-17-2011, 7:29 PM
I would guess it's intended to be room for a thumb of the left hand of a sawyer.

How would that work? With the teeth facing away from the sawyer? I was thinking the teeth facing the sawyer--maybe seated?--the saw vertical, and the last three fingers of the right hand gripping those two lobes at the bottom. Either that or it's just decorative in a way that can be accomplished with drills instead of intricate carving.

george wilson
02-18-2011, 11:09 AM
Maybe Schwartz would know. He has a million sawing positions.

Chris Vandiver
02-18-2011, 11:20 AM
Maybe Schwartz would know. He has a million sawing positions.

Must be the "Kama sutra" sawyer!

David Weaver
02-18-2011, 11:32 AM
How would that work? With the teeth facing away from the sawyer? I was thinking the teeth facing the sawyer--maybe seated?--the saw vertical, and the last three fingers of the right hand gripping those two lobes at the bottom. Either that or it's just decorative in a way that can be accomplished with drills instead of intricate carving.

Just like you would normally use a saw, but the thumb of the left hand in that loop while the right hand is on the saw. I have put a second hand on the #12 before, but I can't remember where I put it. I have a couple of boards that will need to be edge ripped this weekend, I'll see if it makes any sense to do that. I think I would put my thumb further up.

In a long rip in hardwood, it's nice to have a second hand going as long as you can manage to keep the saw square to the board face and on the line. I know all of the tutorials tell you to keep your dominant eye right over the saw plate to keep the saw square, but you will only do that for one long rip if you don't saw several boards a day - you'll be looking for the second hand on the next board, and you can judge pretty well about where square is. Pine is a different story, you can just lean harder on the saw and zip through it an inch + per stroke. Some hardwoods rip better than others, too.

Jonathan McCullough
02-18-2011, 12:36 PM
Just like you would normally use a saw, but the thumb of the left hand in that loop while the right hand is on the saw.

That doesn't seem ergonomic to saw with your left hand underneath your right. And another thing: it appears on crosscut saws as well, so it's not like a thumb-holed D-8 rip saw except the hole is underneath, or a No. 7 rip saw with the thumb and hand-grip provision (which also is on the top). I'm leaning toward "aesthetic" moreso than anything functional, but I throw it out there.

george wilson
02-19-2011, 5:18 PM
I only know one way to saw: Man on top.:)

There was this Japanese master who told me he knew 59 positions to saw in. I said:"Gee,the only position I ever knew was man on top." He snapped his fingers and said "60"!!!!

Niels Cosman
02-19-2011, 5:37 PM
I only know one way to saw: Man on top.:)

There was this Japanese master who told me he knew 59 positions to saw in. I said:"Gee,the only position I ever knew was man on top." He snapped his fingers and said "60"!!!!

I'm sitting in a coffeeshop right now and just chuckled out loud :)

Deane Allinson
02-19-2011, 8:27 PM
I've never found a use for the extra "loop" I've held it every way possible while sawing. I too am leaning toward the "just for looks". It does look good.
Deane