PDA

View Full Version : Jet Band saw upgrade for resawing

Jim Davenport
02-17-2011, 2:55 PM
I decided that I needed some serious resaw capabilities. After pricing new band saws, I decided to upgrade my 14” Jet. I bought it new in 1993, and it’s given me great service.
I did a lot, and I mean a lot of research, Here at SMC, other sites, books, and old magazine articles. I made my choices, and did the following:
I made a visit to my local Woodcraft, and bought a Jet 6” riser kit, a Carter heavy tension spring, and a Kreg bandsaw fence.
I also ordered a 105” “Woodslicer “ blade from Highland Woodworking.
And last but not least a segmented belt from Harbor Freight. Surprisingly the Belt is actually a “USA” product . It’s made by Jason industrial Inc. With a discount coupon You get four feet of A size belt for about twenty bucks. The belt made the saw run noticeably smoother..
Installing the riser kit went surprisingly smooth. Ten only glitch was that I had to drill the holes for the alignment pins on the bottom of the riser block a few thousands deeper so the block would properly seat on the frame.
I checked alignment with a four foot straight edge , and found that both wheels were still coplanar after installing the riser .
I installed and tensioned the woodsilcer blade, following the instructions from Highland.
Then I checked the alignment of the guide post, table squareness, and trunnions. I let the saw run a couple of minutes, then adjusted the “Cool block” guides, and thrust bearings.
I used Mark Duginske’s “New complete guide to the bandsaw” as a reference
After that, I installed the Kreg Fence. That went very easy, following Kreg’s instructions. The Woodslicer blade tracked almost true, just a very slight lead to the left.
I cut some maple scraps, and was extremely pleased with the overall performance.
I think this was a very worthwhile endeavor.
First two photos, riser block and fence
Kreg fence,
HF segmented belt
1/8" thick slice of scrap maple

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/misc/pencil.png
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/misc/pencil.png

Van Huskey
02-17-2011, 4:11 PM
Great job!

Just a money saving tip, when it is time to replace the blade consider the Blade Runner from Iturra or the Kerf Master from spectrumsupply.com both are the same bandstock and significantly cheaper, Spectrum is the cheapest place I have found that stock.

Neil Brooks
02-17-2011, 5:21 PM
Having done many of the same upgrades to my Grizzly G0555X, I'm sure you'll be REALLY happy with the difference !

I've gotta' make a list of which of my belt-drive tools take which cross-section belt, and head over to the Harbor and buy me a BUNCH of those link belts.

No downside, and ... pretty darned cheap !

Van Huskey
02-17-2011, 5:51 PM
I have used the HF linkbelt and it certainly works however I find the red linkbelt to be more durable in the end I find it to be 6 one half dozen another regarding cost

JohnT Fitzgerald
02-18-2011, 9:26 AM
Jim - nice writeup. sounds like a nice bandsaw setup you have.