PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Repair/Setup workbench

John Coloccia
02-17-2011, 12:06 AM
In the process of reconfiguring my shop (again), I came up with this. I'm sure it's not an original idea, but I haven't seen anything quite like it so I though I'd post it.

Here's where I do my setup work...
http://i913.photobucket.com/albums/ac335/jcoloccia/Setup%20Bench/photo1.jpg

And here's the neato' feature that lets me easily get to all sides...
http://i913.photobucket.com/albums/ac335/jcoloccia/Setup%20Bench/photo2.jpg

And here's how it works. It's just a piece of 3/4" ply sandwiched underneath the vice. To swivel, I just slightly loosen the vice and the whole thing turns. You do want to be a little careful to make sure the vice and the board turn at the same time! :) http://i913.photobucket.com/albums/ac335/jcoloccia/Setup%20Bench/photo3.jpg

Chris Fournier
02-17-2011, 9:02 AM
That would be very useful! I gave some thought to building a guitar "station" but never got around to it. I got carried away with bells and whistles to the point where I just shelved the project. Your solution is simple and effective.
I thought for sure that I'd see heavy rubber bands on your vise. I can't remember who was the proponent of that method of saving the guitar from a fall onto the vise cross members - Dan Erlewine perhaps?

Oddly enough my guitar carpet is pretty much the exact same colour - my cat loved it. I would watch his ears twitch while I set up intonation; he had purrfect pitch.

John Coloccia
02-17-2011, 11:10 AM
Purrfect pitch. ROFL

I just started putting foam there after seeing that in someones shop but I didn't have it in the vice last night because I also use it for carving. I take the foam out so it doesn't get all full of chips.

Chris Fournier
02-18-2011, 8:56 AM
Is this bench in a dedicated set up and repair room seperate from your shop John? Being nosey.

John Coloccia
02-18-2011, 9:08 AM
It's actually my main shop, now. If you look in the "Workshops" section, you'll see a thread I started a week or two ago about shop organization. In there somewhere is a video I shot of my wife walking through the shop and making "helpful suggestions" on how to fix it up. One of the things I decided was that I do mostly hand tool work, so why not take over the smaller room in the basement for that. It's a far more comfortable space. Very quiet and intimate. I don't know why but everyone I know that builds guitars likes doing it in a cramped space, and I'm no different. Must be genetic.

I use the "setup" bench for a lot of regular building too, along with my regular workbench.

I'll probably post a followup video later tonight.

Chris Fournier
02-19-2011, 11:31 AM
Ah I went and checked that out Giggles. It was funny enough without the Ouzo! I think that your wife could be a bit like "bottled ligthning" are you sure that you want her to inspect your work? I think that she could reduce me to a sobbing puddle of tears all while maintaining the PG language rating.

My wife likes to write messages in the dust in my shop; stuff like "clean me". Well after the new DC install and invoice I think that she'll be keeping her hands in her pockets for a while. I do keep the bathroom tidy because I could not face her wrath should she find the seat up and coffee grounds in the sink...

Truthfully it does help to have others opinions at times. It can be embarassing though when people watch me work and then ask "why don't you move this machine over here and do it like that, it would save you time." "Never thought of that..." is usually my mumbled reply.

Organization can really be a moving target if your shop is used for a great variety of work. I've tried to apply the Shaker creedo of "a place for everything and everything in its place" as my first line in the sand/dust.

I really get distraught when stuff is all over the place and the fur is flying during a project. I pacify myself with little re-organization runs and a minute on the broom, then I up the dosage and take my medication and I'm all happy again.

Of course the one thing that I've found is that "organization" can really just be the perfect distraction from the more important task at hand - work. Much of my procrastination is disguised as organization; fortunately the outcome is still positive and pays off.

george wilson
02-19-2011, 9:56 PM
VERY funny video,John!!:)