PDA

View Full Version : Batten Press

Matt Wolboldt
02-16-2011, 11:00 PM
So I'm in the process of gluing the back and top together. I tried to make a batten press but it seems to be too loose. I was able to glue up the back but the glue joint is questionable. So before I glue the top together, I'm open to any and all tips.
Thanks,
Matt

John Coloccia
02-16-2011, 11:24 PM
Forgive my ignorance, but what's a batten press?

Matt Wolboldt
02-16-2011, 11:32 PM
Sorry, I saw it called that somewhere. It's where you put some nails on either side of a large workboard just a little in from edge of the top board width. Then there is a small stick that props up the glue joint. Glue is applied then the stick is removed. This is supposed to apply enough pressure to glue the top together.

Mike OMelia
02-16-2011, 11:39 PM
I prefer the go-bar deck. The trick is making one light enough and stiff enough at the same time. I finally got one I could live with, big enough for harp guitars. If there is any interest I will discuss further. No big deal to make one and expense is small.

John Coloccia
02-16-2011, 11:45 PM
Nails? Bah, that's too much work. I take a piece of MDF for a base, and clamp two more straight pieces of MDF to act as stops (instead of nails). How you did it is very sound if you get it just right, but using a couple of strips of wood is just easier to adjust.