PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly 15 Inch Planer, Anyone Know The Difference

Steve Kohn
02-16-2011, 10:45 PM
I am planning on getting a 15 inch planer with spiral cutter head. In my opinion, as a hobbiest, Grizzly offers the best value. I have 4 other major Grizzly machines so I know Grizzly.

I looked at the Grizzly web site and got all confused. There are 3 different planers listed. So what's the difference?

There is the Shop Fox T23097 for $1395;
The Grizzly Polar Bear G0453PX for $1475;
and the Grizzly G0453Z for $1525. All have the same shipping charge, cast iron extension tables and look the same in the pictures except for paint colors.

Van Huskey
02-16-2011, 11:52 PM
The Polar Bear is exactly the same except for paint and the handwheel. The Shop Fox also has some small cosmetic differences (besides paint) and my guess is the guts are the same. The SF has a 2 year warranty to boot. I would get the cheapest one of the three. BTW who has the SF for 1395?

Cary Falk
02-17-2011, 6:04 AM
As Van said, the Polar Bear is the same as the Grizzly except for a few cosmetic things. Shop Fox is the retail side of Grizzly. Usually Shop Fox and Grizzly are the same also except for cosmetics but somtimes there are a few subtle differences like fences and features. You can usually download the manuals and find the differences. I tend to think the Grizzly versions are a little more pimped out, but it varies by tool. Shop Fox tends to be more expensive due to the 2 year warranty and dealer network. Polar Bear is currently cheaper due to it being an introductory price. I didn't see a picture of the spiral head in the Shop Fox but I would guess it is the same one as the G0453Z. The switch bracket looks a little different. Other than that they are the same. At current prices, I would jump all over the Shop Fox(roughly what I paid for my G0453Z last summer). I have a Shop Fox version of the G0490 8" jointer. I have never used Shop Fox's customer service but I would not be surprised if it was Grizzly because their CS center is in Bellingham, WA. They show wharehouse in Muncy and Springfield. If you buy it through Grizzly more than likely any problems that may occur from the shipper would be taken care of by Grizzly's excellent CS.

glenn bradley
02-17-2011, 9:00 AM
BTW who has the SF for 1395?

I must have missed that: http://www.grizzly.com/outlet/15-Planer-with-Spiral-Cutterhead/T23097

Maik Tobin
02-17-2011, 9:09 AM
I sent an email to Grizzly CS earlier this week with the same question. They responded that the Polar Bear and Reg Green Gizzly were the same machine in all respects other than paint. The Shop Fox has a slightly different base, a 2 year warranty and has been discontinued, hence the reduced price.
Not much of a discount in my opinion.

Ron Bontz
02-17-2011, 9:11 AM
Grizzly was selling the shop fox for 1395. I bought one. I was told they were back ordered due in 2nd week of march. I got mine in 2 weeks. The shop fox was dated 2008 so maybe they refitted some of them with the spiral head. So far every thing seems to work just fine. It took a couple of hours and mineral spirits to clean off the sealer and a couple more hours of adjustments.

Caleb Larru
02-17-2011, 11:10 AM
Grizzly was selling the shop fox for 1395. I bought one. I was told they were back ordered due in 2nd week of march. I got mine in 2 weeks. The shop fox was dated 2008 so maybe they refitted some of them with the spiral head. So far every thing seems to work just fine. It took a couple of hours and mineral spirits to clean off the sealer and a couple more hours of adjustments.

I found a deal on a new shop fox w1718 5 hp 20 inch spiral cut for $2200. It was also dated 2008 and removing some of the cosmoline off the bed was a challenge but the byrd head wasn't bad at all. I also thought they took some of the w1683 overstock (same planer except for head) and changed the heads out to help move them out.

Ron Bontz
02-18-2011, 9:54 PM
Interesting they told you that. When I asked about the discontinuation of the Shop Fox 1742s, I was told they were not being discontinued. It does not surprise me really. and I do like how quiet those heads are. Music to my old ears.

Van Huskey
02-18-2011, 10:03 PM
They responded that the Polar Bear and Reg Green Gizzly were the same machine in all respects other than paint.

That is technically wrong but in a practical sense correct. The handwheel is definitely different, you can see it in the pictures and I have confirmed it in the showroom UNLESS they have changed the handwheel on one of them since mid-December which is when I saw them in the showroom. I always hate it when a companies CS answered question incorrectly since it makes be question all their answers. This has happened to me a bunch of times with a lot of companies.

Dave Lehnert
02-19-2011, 12:28 AM
I would think the unit having a different "Look" in hand-wheels would still fall under "Same Machine" statement. Don't think I would have even noticed.

Van Huskey
02-19-2011, 4:07 AM
I would think the unit having a different "Look" in hand-wheels would still fall under "Same Machine" statement. Don't think I would have even noticed.

I agree, as I said in a practical sense it is a non-issue. As for me I am skeptical of sales people when it comes to product knowledge (and I know Grizzly has a large and diverse product line). My point is when I hear a mistake like this I often wonder what else are they mistaken about, for example if they don't know or relay the fact that the handwheel is different do they also not know if a different grade bearings are specced. I do NOT think this is the case here but ONLY because Shiraz stated as much here. Had I not been told that the internals were the same I would be doing mental gymnastics trying to understand why paint and a $2 handwheel makes $50 difference and almost have to come to the conclusion that there is something different between them given they are from the same importer and retailer.

In this instance I think they are functionally the same planer from the same importer and same retailer and for $80 or $130 savings PLUS an extra year of warranty makes the SF a no brainer.

Although, these are all direct from Grizzly, recently I have found it is interesting that since all the end of year Grizzly sales finished (except the promotional prices on some of the P Bear line) many of the equivalent Shop Fox machines are cheaper on Amazon especially the ones with free shipping. Currently the 3hp Shop Fox shaper is $901.84 (it changes almost daily was about $850 earlier this week), the comparable Grizzly 1026 3hp is over 1,200 liftgate shipped. Even with the 10% off coupon the Grizzly is still more than $200 more and there are some things I like about the SF more.

Ron Bontz
02-19-2011, 10:47 AM
I am just glad Grizzly is in Springfield. Far away from me. My shop used to be a uniform sea of Gray. Now it is an eclectic array of gray, white and green.

Steve Kohn
02-19-2011, 10:39 PM
I just place my order for the Shop Fox. If anyone has an extra coupon I could use it to get the discount.