PDA

View Full Version : Valentine's Day

Laurie Brown
02-16-2011, 9:37 PM
For Valentine's Day I made this gift for hubby:

It's 57" wide, 7 1/2' tall, and 8" deep, with 7 shelves. He had lots of boxes of old books taking up space in the basement for years, so I decided to build him a home for them. I will post another pic once it's filled up with books. Made of poplar, and anchored to a wall stud up top.

david brum
02-17-2011, 12:11 AM
Nice work! He's a lucky guy.

Jim Rimmer
02-17-2011, 1:09 PM
Nice work. Bookshelves are always handy.

Rod Sheridan
02-17-2011, 1:52 PM
Laurie, thanks for making me look like a dead beat!

All I made my sweetie for Valentines day was Tandoori chicken, curried potatoes, basmati rice, green beans and creme brule.............Regards, Rod.

P.S. Nice bookcase.

bill schmoott
02-17-2011, 1:58 PM
Hey great looking shelves. I am sure he will enjoy them very much.. Probably tidies things up a bit too. Could it be someone has a little basement shop expansion in mind? :) Hmmm now what are we going to do with all of these books? :) Oh, by the way, I made some book shelves like these when going to school. My books were very very heavy and I had to put some extra braces in the middle after the fact, so you may watch that. Just trying to help. Great looking functional project!

Laurie Brown
02-17-2011, 5:42 PM
Could it be someone has a little basement shop expansion in mind? :)

Not quite. My shop is out in the garage, but the basement is about to become my new office/computer repair area. :)

My books were very very heavy and I had to put some extra braces in the middle after the fact, so you may watch that. Just trying to help. Great looking functional project!

Yes, we were discussing that. I may take the leftover scraps and make some braces I can set in the center of each shelf between the books.

Laurie Brown
02-17-2011, 5:43 PM
All I made my sweetie for Valentines day was Tandoori chicken, curried potatoes, basmati rice, green beans and creme brule............

I would call that a fair trade any day! Yummy!

bill schmoott
02-18-2011, 2:40 PM
Did you finish with anything, or leave natural?

Laurie Brown
02-18-2011, 3:05 PM
I finished simply with a coat of clear shellac, sanded with steel wool to make it smooth. That way it perfectly matches the DVD shelf unit I made several years ago.