PDA

View Full Version : Myrtlewood Valentine for my Valentine

Rick Markham
02-16-2011, 4:03 PM
Here's a bowl I made for the LOML for Valentines day, it is one of my favorites so far to date. Myrtlewood Burl, 9" in diameter, 3 1/2" tall, sanded to 600grit, and finished with WOP.
This is only the second footed bowl I have made, and I really like this form. C&C welcome and appreciated... Thanks for looking!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/Rick357/IMG_0028.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/Rick357/IMG_0029.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/Rick357/IMG_0030.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/Rick357/IMG_0031.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/Rick357/IMG_0032.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/Rick357/IMG_0033.jpg

bob svoboda
02-16-2011, 4:08 PM
I really like the curve of the bowl. IMO the foot could be smaller (shorter) and still provide a nice lift to the piece. That wood sure has some interest to it. Nicely done.

Baxter Smith
02-16-2011, 4:12 PM
Nice looking bowl with a good curve Rick. JMO but I would prefer the foot to be a little shorter.

Roger Chandler
02-16-2011, 5:22 PM
That is as very nice bowl Rick. Good form and the curve is a nice continuous flow from bottom to the rim. Good work!

Rick Markham
02-16-2011, 5:27 PM
Thanks guys! I will try and get a better picture so you can see how the flows with the form, I'm still getting used to the photo tent. I will be revisiting this form several times over so I will definitely be giving the shorter foot a try. I think the angle of the photos makes the separation of the foot and the rest of the form seem more dramatic than what it is. I'll go shoot another right now!

Here's a better angle of the foot:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/Rick357/IMG_0034.jpg

charlie knighton
02-16-2011, 7:05 PM
very nice....

philip labre
02-16-2011, 7:19 PM
Nice job, Rick. Good wall curve, nice wood and finish but, as others have stated the foot is too tall.

Harry Robinette
02-16-2011, 7:39 PM
Rick
Nice work Rick, the bowl looks really nice. The height of the foot to me is fine but I think the diameter needs to be smaller around.JMHO
Harry

Tim Thiebaut
02-16-2011, 8:35 PM
Now that is one fancy looking signature...and the bowl is very nice as well!

Cathy Schaewe
02-16-2011, 8:36 PM
That's a very nice piece. I also would make the foot both smaller in diameter and a little shorter. But still really good!

Rick Markham
02-16-2011, 9:13 PM
Thanks everyone! I will definitely try the next one with a smaller (diameter) and shorter foot. I appreciate the honest critiques here!

Bernie Weishapl
02-16-2011, 10:23 PM
Really a nice bowl Rick. I probably would go slight smaller foot print and turn off the foot but that is just me. Nicely done Rick.

Steve Schlumpf
02-16-2011, 10:39 PM
Rick - very nice bowl! Bet your wife loves it! Sure is some pretty wood!

When it comes to a foot - everyone has an opinion but I have found that if the bowl is to be used, such as a centerpiece, fruit bowl, etc, then the foot needs to be fairly wide in order to provide stability. Think of placing a small bunch of bananas on one side of the bowl. Will it hold or tip over? The smaller footed bowls work great when they are more for decoration or hold very light weight items.

On your photos - just something that I find works for me is to watch your camera perspective. Anything above or below horizontal center will distort the form. So, when showing the side of a bowl, have the camera just peek over the rim to show that the turning is hollowed. This will keep the form very close to normal when viewing. Play with it a little and you'll see what I am trying to say.

Have fun!

Rick Markham
02-16-2011, 10:47 PM
Thanks for the advice Steve, I will definitely set up that way in the future. Earlier shots of the Manzanita bowl, I had done that. In all the experimenting I lost sight of that perspective.

Curt Fuller
02-16-2011, 10:49 PM
Another beautiful bowl Rick. Myrtle is alway an interesting wood.

Neil Strong
02-17-2011, 12:02 AM
Nice to see a decent foot on a bowl.

As Steve points out, if it's to be used as a utility bowl you need to stretch the 1/3 rule. If it's to be sat high on a shelf and looked at, then less than the 1/3 will make it look more elegant and give it lift.

As for the height of the foot, many turners are best off minimising the height of their feet because they don't have a natural feel for proportions and therefore are better off avoiding such aesthetic challenges. To my eye you have executed the ogee (cyma reversa) with sufficient confidence for me to suggest you make the foot whatever height you think works for you...:cool:

Rick Markham
02-17-2011, 1:20 AM
Neil thank you, this is the second bowl like this that I have made. The first was a gift for a friend/artist/mentor of mine. It's pleasing to my eye (he appreciated the form as well), and these were intended to be functional (if the owner chooses to put something in it), and he has told me since that several of of his artist friends have enjoyed looking at it. This myrtle bowl is slightly larger than that one, but I'm pretty certain the proportions are identical (or nearly). I love elegantly thin bowls, however, I have come to appreciate some thickness to these, there is some sort of physical feel/ perception that works on the mind when a bowl seems too thin for it's proportions. It's hard to tell in the photos (that aspect is a work in progress) but there is a gentle sweep from the outer edge of the bowl to the inner form. It feels awesome in your hand. If it's new owner allows me too, I might try and photograph it again (she is practically taking it to bed with her) and see if I can catch that aspect of it.

Michelle Rich
02-17-2011, 5:59 AM
very nice bowl. I can see why your wife loves it. The wood is very pretty & it is well turned & finished

Jim Burr
02-17-2011, 10:04 AM
Great looking piece of wood!! The simple approach really lets it stand out. Not sure about the foot...don't know why.

Rick Markham
02-17-2011, 3:20 PM
Thanks Michelle, that a big compliment. I really enjoy your work.

Jim, I am coming to believe that footed bowls are a very personal thing.;)

Jon McElwain
02-17-2011, 5:39 PM
I really like the inside of the bowl - the figure and burl is very interesting. The bottom of the inside of the bowl almost looks like a different piece of wood!

steven carter
02-18-2011, 1:02 PM
Rick,

I like the bowl, but more importantly you wife likes it, and I assume you like it as well. What you and your wife like should be the most important consideration. You may find that what you like changes over time as you do more bowls and look a more bowls, and if that happens you can change what you make. Until then just enjoy a job well done!

Steve Knowlton
02-18-2011, 7:18 PM
Good looking bowl. i love to turn myrtelwood. i have so much that i am burning the small stuff in the fireplace. Keep up the good work.

Rick Markham
02-18-2011, 9:19 PM
Steve, I enjoyed it as well. It smells wonderful when you are turning it, almost spicy!