PDA

View Full Version : Problem Removing Poly

Keith Starosta
02-16-2011, 1:54 PM
OK...I need some quick help trying to find a remedy to one of my latest "DUH!!" moments. I had a small project that needed a quick gloss poly topcoat. I opted for rattle-can spray poly. Since it was below 20 degrees in my shop, I needed to do this in the (unfinished) basement. Instead of doing it the smart way...on the concrete floor...I opted to lay down some cardboard over out high-end air hockey table. :rolleyes: :confused: I thought I had enough cardboard spread out, but I ended up with some over-spray to the left and the right, meaning that I have an area in front of each goal that has dried poly "dots". To add to the problem is that I didn't realize this until about a week after it happened.

Needless to say, the family is less than pleased. Is there a way for me to remove the poly over-spray without damaging the air hockey table's surface? PLEASE tell me that I haven't permanently damage the table...:(

- Keith

Jason Roehl
02-16-2011, 2:42 PM
I'd start with typical cleaning agents first--ammonia, alcohol, etc. Dirtex is pretty good. Spray it on, and give it some time to work before trying to wipe it off, but test the amount of time you leave it on--I don't know what that surface is made of, and water-based products may get in the airholes and cause it to swell.

There's also a product called "Painter's Pal"--which smells to me like a sort of citrus-based cleaner/stripper.

Goof-Off works pretty well, or you could try Lacquer Thinner or Xylene. Whatever you try to use, I'd put a drop in the very corner of the table and let it sit for a while to see what it does to the surface.

Chris Padilla
02-16-2011, 3:10 PM
See the sticky post in this forum on how to determine a finish. This will aid you in determining the finish on your hockey table...and then you can figure out what to try and what not to try. :)

Keith Starosta
02-16-2011, 4:43 PM
Thanks for the tips, Jason. I started with what was most accessable for me at the moment...Goof Off. I tested in the corner, and didn't see any adverse effects. A lot of elbow grease seems to have done the trick.