PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on this lathe please

Dawn Sunkle
01-18-2005, 12:54 PM
I currently have a mini-hobby lathe that my husband bought me for our anniversery (yes, its what I ask for :) )
However, I have discovered its just not powerful enough to even practice with, much less actualy make anything of decent quality on. So, I'm looking into getting a larger one.

I found this one at a local store and wanted some professional opinions before forking out too much money.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=36066

I haven't turned in years and I'm trying to get back into it. I am most intersted in turning pens at the moment, however I don't want to limit myself to only pens.

Anyway.. is this a good purchase or should I keep looking?
Pros and Cons most welcome.

Thanks,
Dawn

Ted Shrader
01-18-2005, 1:17 PM
I currently have a mini-hobby lathe that my husband bought me for our anniversary (yes, its what I ask for :) ). . . .
Thanks,
DawnDawn -

Welcome to the Creek. This is a great place to exchange information and ideas. Think you would be better off shopping a little bit more and saving a few more $$$ to get a different lathe. While that one will go 'round, the quality of everything from the tool rest, to the bed, to the bearings in the headstock will end up frustrating you in the long run.

BTW My wife got a "big piece of metal" (lathe) instead of a "little piece of metal" (jewelry) for her last birthday because that was what she wanted. :)

Welcome,
Ted

ps - Might want to review the SMC terms of service in regards to links in your signature.

Ernie Hobbs
01-18-2005, 1:43 PM
Dawn:

I bought the same lathe last summer from Harbor Freight. I, too, had not turned in a long time and wanted to get a lathe to start with. I found out quickly that you get what you pay for. This lathe is too light for turning much and will vibrate a lot. Even after filling the tubes with sand and bolting it to my heavy work bench, I still have to clamp the tubes to my bench to keep them from shaking my chisels off my bench. Also, I have already had to get HF to replace it because the tailstock broke into pieces when I tried to tighten it too much.

I have been looking for a few months to replace it with a "real" lathe. Lowes was selling their Delta midi lathe for $169 for a while last year but I didn't start looking until they were out of them. I have been watching ebay for an older Delta lathe but have been unable to jump on any bargains yet. I'll keep looking...

Bill Grumbine
01-18-2005, 2:13 PM
Hi Dawn

What is the mini hobby lathe you are using right now? The HF lathe you ask about is, as the others have written, not a good value. However, if you are lookng for an economical lathe that is also well built and powerful for its size, you might want to consider the Jet mini. Of course, if this is already what you have, this won't do you much good, but then I would have to ask what you are trying to turn that it is giving you such difficulty.

Good luck with it and ask away with any questions you might have. There are lots of folks here to give you good answers.

Bill

Robert Cox
01-18-2005, 2:27 PM
I asked the same questions a while back. Except about the one above that.

I ended up with a Jet Mini.

Steve Knowlton
01-18-2005, 2:33 PM
Dawn, My Brother Bought The Hf Lathe A Year Ago. He Said He Wished He Had Not Wasted The Money. Jet Mini Is The Way To Go. Ihave A Fisch Mini Which I Like But It Is More Expensive. You Can Turn Up To 9" Bowls On The Jet. Our Club Has 3 Of Them.

Scott Loven
01-18-2005, 2:47 PM
Anyone ever try the midi from PENN STATE (http://www.pennstateind.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=TCLPRO&Category_Code=)? It looks a lot like the jet and delta mini
Scott

Darren Ford
01-18-2005, 3:55 PM
I have seen that particular model in the HF retail store -- it certainly looked unstable. However, there is another HF lathe, the 34706 ($179 on sale) that seems to be regarded as a decent starting point.

I think Jim Becker will disagree, I have seen his well thought out post regarding his experiences with the HF 34706. Its true it is no competition to the high dollar lathes, but its not meant to be. Its competition is the JET 1236 and others in that price range, and most people think it compares favorably with them at a lower pricepoint.

My opinion is not worth much; you probably have more turning time than me, but if you are looking at lathes in this price range, I think it deserves a look.

If you use google, type in "hf lathe" and you will find alot of information. Woodcentral has a short review and comparison.

Steve Stube
01-18-2005, 4:50 PM
However, I have discovered its just not powerful enough to even practice with, much less actualy make anything of decent quality on.
As I read what you said it sounded to me more like a motor problem - underpowered. Maybe that can be overcome unless it is a dedicated motor/drive. I am curious what lathe you have now.

Jean Holland
01-18-2005, 8:54 PM
Welcome Dawn. I too asked for tools for holidays and birthdays instead of trinkets! I got a wolverine sharping jig for Christmas and am asking for a new grinder for my upcoming birthday.

At the price for that lathe, I would definately recommend going a little more and getting the Jet Mini. I decided (with coaching from my husband) not to mess around and got a Jet 1442. I can tell you that I am not disappointed about it either. It makes me feel even better when I hear all the good reports about it, so that confirms the problems I do encounter are operator error and not the machine. :D If you later decide you don't want to turn wood (yea, like that would ever happen :rolleyes: ), you can always sell a good brand lathe. However, if you purchase one of those from HF, you will most likely be stuck with it for life.

I would suggest you shop around and look for some sales like open houses at local tool and woodworking stores. You can get 10% or more off. That's how I got mine and I got such a good deal on it too.

Good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of wood!

Stefan Antwarg
01-18-2005, 9:02 PM
The first things that struck me about this lathe was the light weight and the slowest speed - which is not very slow. But, of course, it depends on what you will turn. Many - MANY people talk about the Jet mini lathes. So I guess they must be good. I used to have a Delta Midi Lathe which was nice, but I wanted to be able to make larger bowls, so I got the Jet 1442 (overkill for you). The mini/midi lathes are good, but it all depends on the stuff you want to turn - the size particularly. So decide on that first, and then worry about the brand.

Stefan

Jim Becker
01-18-2005, 9:36 PM
I have seen that particular model in the HF retail store -- it certainly looked unstable. However, there is another HF lathe, the 34706 ($179 on sale) that seems to be regarded as a decent starting point.

I think Jim Becker will disagree, I have seen his well thought out post regarding his experiences with the HF 34706. Its true it is no competition to the high dollar lathes, but its not meant to be. Its competition is the JET 1236 and others in that price range, and most people think it compares favorably with them at a lower pricepoint.
The 34706 is a good value for the money...especially at the sale price it often sells for of about $179. As you point out, I had some small issues with the one I started out on, but nothing that was a show stopper. That said, I kinda think that the Jet mini is a better choice as a starter lathe for both quality and "future" considerations. You don't loose much in capacity, either, especially when you consider the "realistic" capacities of the other machine.

I would not buy nor recommend the HFT 36066 unit that is asked about in the original post that started this thread, however...the 34706 is a much better machine if the vendor needs to be HFT...

Dawn Sunkle
01-18-2005, 10:20 PM
Hi Dawn

What is the mini hobby lathe you are using right now?
<snip>
BillFully assembled 11'' lathe is designed for precision crafting small hobby parts. Idea for dollhouses, models, model railroads. Includes carbon steel turning gouge, tailstock, rotating center, drive center, brass collet, steady rest, two hole clamps, center finder, hex key.

High speed 18,000 RPM 12V motor with 120V wall adapter
Steel centers, bearings, carbon steel collet holder
4'' between centers
Aluminum bed
I had only asked for this one to play around with, nothing serious. Just to see if I were truely interested in getting a larger one. I don't have much experience in turning, it was part of my collage training (theatre) and I loved it then. But as the years have passed I have really wanted to get into it and actualy do something with it. I started reading more and more about it and now that I have found out about the freedom pens and well pens in general, I am more ready than ever to get a lathe that'll really let me do some nice things and not just play around with. The one I bought did it's job.. it got me to wanting a larger on in about 2 minutes LOL.

Looks like with all the wonderful replys I have been given I'm leaning towards the Jet Mini, however it'll be March before I can do any serious shopping.

Thanks for the great welcome. I hope to spend alot of time around here.

Dawn

Edward Orecchio
01-18-2005, 11:08 PM
Welcome to a fasinating pursuit-woodturning. I have gone through several lathes in the last few years since I started turning. I have a Nova DVD 3000 now and am pleased with it but see it's limitations. I started with a Jet1442. When I turned my first 12 inch bowl I chased it all over the shop then immediately weighted it down with cinder blocks(most people use sand-decreases vibration). I found that I turned some nice boxes and small bowls(6 in or so) To turn those larger logs-10-12-14 in bowls and platters you need 1 1/2 -2 hp and need to slow speeds to 100rpm's or slower to start. The lathe need to be heavy- mine weighs ~300lbs without the 80 lbs bag of powdered concrete-8 of them- that I put on the self below the lathe. My current lathe is 220v 2hp with variable speed. If you want to turn the above or larger than I mentioned above you are starting to talk serious money for the weight,speed and,torque to keep those hugh chunks spinning. Both Jet and Delta make intemediate lathes with 16in swing that have good reviews and don't brake the bank but are quite a bit more expensive than you were talking about-look for them used. Good luck-I've made some nice stuff-turned all the bowls for flowers for my first daughter's wedding and a 16in platter of bubinga,two champane glasses of ebony and acrylic as well as 60 wine stoppers for favors for my second daughter's wedding(4 months later!)-I had a blast!
Ed Orecchio

Dawn Sunkle
01-18-2005, 11:33 PM
Wow, Edward. I'd love to see the champaign glasses.

Dawn

Ken Salisbury
01-19-2005, 11:04 AM
I would suggest, as others have to get a Jet Mini as a starter lathe. I have 2 Jet Mini's one of which I have made more than 1500 pens and other items like bottle stoppers, bud vases, candle sticks, turned boxes, and small bowls on.

You will eventually want a larger lathe as you become more proficient, but I am sure you would keep the mini for the small stuff. I upgraded my larger lathe from a Craftsman to a Jet 1236 and then to my present Jet 1642VS.

The Jet Mini is the best buy for the buck available - IMHO.