PDA

View Full Version : Bct hp6v2

Jonathan Spool
02-16-2011, 12:55 PM
I just recieved my Bridge City Tools HP6V2. Thought I'd post a pic if anyone was interested in seeing wht the bundle looked like.
The only issue I have with the set is the minimal instructions that come with it. I have a message sent in to BCTW to see whether there is any comprehensive instructions available. In the meanwhile if there are others that know where I can find them, I would appreciate the help.

Andrew Yang
02-16-2011, 1:35 PM
Wow. Sure looks nice. I'm limited to staring at this point with BCT kit.

Niels Cosman
02-16-2011, 1:59 PM
damns- thats some sweet lookin- toolin!
now you've got to post pictures of some of the profiles in use!
have fun!

Jim Koepke
02-16-2011, 2:18 PM
Wow, guess I need to buy a few more lottery tickets.

You might want to call and ask if they will be at the show coming up in Seattle on March 11 & 12. That would be a good place to ask some questions if you can get there.

Otherwise, you may also find out that just putting it together and taking some shavings is not as complicated as it looks. It likely works similar to the Stanley multi-planes with a better sole to use for registering on the work piece.

jtk

Tim Null
02-16-2011, 3:11 PM
Wow, congrats. I just bought a new in the sealed box HP 6 (bronze, not aluminum and the precursor to yours) plane with the full rabbet kit and fences from a seller, for $256.00. I then ordered $350.00 worth of soles and profiles from the BCT site super sale.

Some of the new profiles are exclusive to the new design, which is a little disappointing, but I did not quite have the cash to drop on the full bundle. I just got the plane today, waiting for the profiles.

Mine did not come with any instructions. So I called and spoke to a very helpful person who e-mailed me the instructions. They are not bad. She e-mailed it to me in less than 15 minutes after I hung up. Great service.

Jonathan Spool
02-16-2011, 10:25 PM
Thanks. Jim, which show are you referring too?

Michael Peet
02-17-2011, 9:19 AM
Cool. Did you get any of the hones?

Mike

Jim Koepke
02-17-2011, 12:30 PM
Thanks. Jim, which show are you referring too?

Scroll down to March 11 & 12:

http://www.lie-nielsen.com//?pg=1

jtk

Brent Smith
02-18-2011, 10:24 PM
Johnathan, you are going to enjoy using this tool. I've had mine a few years now and have been adding profiles as I go. I find it especially useful on smaller runs and on box projects. The hones really do make sharpening the blades a lot easier and more precise.

Jonathan Spool
02-19-2011, 12:28 AM
Brent,
I purchased the honing paste alone, thinking I could plane a piece of hardwood whith each profile to make hones. Do you think that might work as well as the aluminum ones they sell?
Thanks for the link Jim. LN has other companies at their shows?

David Wong
02-19-2011, 12:47 AM
Jonathan,
John Economaki posted Feb 16th on his Bridge City blog (http://www.bridgecitytools.com/blog/), that while it is possible to hone using profiles cut out by the irons, it is not recommended. He goes through a detailed explanation showing the bevel on the irons would not be sharpened at the correct angle.

Brent Smith
02-19-2011, 4:09 PM
Jonathan,
I started out doing just that with LV honing compound on lignum vitae. While it did do an adequate job, I found it needed doing more often than I thought was acceptable. Now, using the BC hones with diamod paste, I find the blades last far longer between sharpenings. On top of that, one of the profiles had become slightly distorted from repeated use on the honing wood. The aluminum plate brought it back to the factory profile in short order. If you are going to use cut profiles in wood for your honing, I would suggest that you create new ones regularly as even a slight change in angle of the blade as you hone will crate a change to the profile of the blade in subsequent honings.

Jim Koepke
02-19-2011, 5:39 PM
Thanks for the link Jim. LN has other companies at their shows?

Yes, that is one of the things that makes them fun to attend. Gives a chance to meet some of the people and try their tools.

It all depends on the timing as to who can set up at the different locations.

jtk