PDA

View Full Version : Rotary Engraving Question

Liesl Dexheimer
02-16-2011, 8:26 AM
For those of you who have a rotary engraver...have you ever tried engraving on titanium? If you have, what cutter did you use? I'm a little skeptical of being able to do this....

Dan Hintz
02-16-2011, 8:28 AM
I don't own a rotary engraver, but if I was doing titanium I would use carbide tooling...

Daniel Duane Owen
02-16-2011, 10:43 AM
I've engraved titanium rings with a diamond drag, it's actually pretty soft. How deep do you need to go?

Otherwise I guess I'd use a small 30 deg. carbide cutter or pyramid.

Mike Mackenzie
02-16-2011, 12:43 PM
I would use the 1/4 round carbide cutters

http://www.antaresinc.net/index.html

Liesl Dexheimer
02-16-2011, 3:34 PM
Thank you for the replies, I'll have to see how deep the customer wants the engraving.

Bruce Boone
02-16-2011, 4:11 PM
I don't use an engraving tip, but use 1/32" carbide endmills on my carved titanium rings. You obviously can't get very good detail that way though. Sounds like a job for a powerful laser. :D;)

Conrad Fiore
02-18-2011, 11:02 AM
Liesl,
We have both NC engravers and pantographs. We opt for using the pantographs when engraving stainless and titanium over the NC engravers because we have more hand control of the cutting tool into the material. We always use split carbide round cutter blanks that we sharpen ourselves and our average cutting depth is .010" -.020". Titanium can actually be better cutting than some of the SS alloys and some form of cutting fluid helps in reducing tool wear.
Conrad