PDA

View Full Version : Source for deep-throat clamps?

Kent A Bathurst
02-16-2011, 7:51 AM
No-one ever had too many clamps. I've got 100 +/-, but that apparently is not enough.

I have a commission for a DR table that will be wider than the current capacity of my cauls + clamps combined. [I am NOT looking for caul advice - if I have to go that route, I'll make a larger version of my shop-made 8/4 HM set].

I want to see if there are reasonable-priced C- or F-style deep throat clamps. I need at least a 6-inch "reach" [not sure of correct term]. The opening capacity needs to be at least 6", but 8" would be OK too. My limited research shows them in the "you must be kidding me" price range. Can't be mickey-mouse quality, but don't need to clamp a Chevy in air, either.

Suggestions?

John Brown
02-16-2011, 8:45 AM
Here ya go. Google will find most anything.http://www.justclamps.com/bar_clamps.htm#635

Kent A Bathurst
02-16-2011, 9:19 AM
Pretty clever of you, John. Use the googles on the internetospheroscapes, eh? I only went through my list of "ususal suspects". Nice catch.

You - or anyone else - have hands-on experience with this brand? Saving money on clamps is attractive; wasting money on poor performing tools isn't.

thanks

Kent

Joe Angrisani
02-16-2011, 9:24 AM
What about making some olde-style wooden hand clamps with longer jaws? Should be easy and cheap to get 8"+ of reach.

david brum
02-16-2011, 9:47 AM
Another possibility...

http://www.amazon.com/Shop-Fox-D2838-7-Inch-4-Inch/dp/B0000DD31W/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1297867356&sr=8-14

John Coloccia
02-16-2011, 9:56 AM
Have you considered cam clamps? I have a bunch of 8 1/2", some 4 1/2", etc. They're less than $20 each at Woodcraft. Anyhow, looks like John's link will work for you...this is just another option :)

Kent A Bathurst
02-16-2011, 10:28 AM
Another possibility...

http://www.amazon.com/Shop-Fox-D2838-7-Inch-4-Inch/dp/B0000DD31W/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1297867356&sr=8-14

Hmmmmm.....interesting - I am heavily invested in 3/4" black pipe stock. Name a length, I've got a dozen of it - could use on any pipe. Have to think through the mechanics of providing enough clearance under the cauls for the crank.

EDIT: even cheaper at P'tree site at the end of John's link.

Kent A Bathurst
02-16-2011, 10:30 AM
Have you considered cam clamps? I have a bunch of 8 1/2", some 4 1/2", etc. They're less than $20 each at Woodcraft. Anyhow, looks like John's link will work for you...this is just another option :)

No, I hadn't, John. Not sure if those would do the trick - I've got to crank 2 pcs of 8/4 HM that have a slight bevel from center to ends, so that they flatten out across the glue-up.

phil harold
02-16-2011, 12:13 PM
I have a few of these
http://www.wetzler.com/quick.shtml
excellent quality

Kent A Bathurst
02-16-2011, 2:03 PM
I have a few of these
http://www.wetzler.com/quick.shtml
excellent quality

Those look great, Harold. Unfortunately, by the time I get all the sets I would need [6-8 pairs], I'd be way past the tipping point re: making longer cauls. Something I'll keep in mind for the "no other way" task that will surely come up.

Thanks

glenn bradley
02-16-2011, 2:22 PM
You - or anyone else - have hands-on experience with this brand?

Those look identical to some that I purchased from Penn State back awhile. They are OK . . . the ones I got were part of a 2 for 1 deal and a few have jaw pads that are not square by a long shot. This can cause some canting as you tighten things down. I assume "first quality" clamps (those not being blown out in a 2 for 1 sale) would be better in this respect. I have the 36" version and the combination of the deep jaw and the long bar results in quite a bit of bar bend under pressure. In use at around 12" or so this is a non issue. I have often thought about cutting mine down but then I will come up with a need for them longer and be darned glad to have them. As you say; I have a lot of regular use clamps but I am always thankful for the "now and then" clamps that I store overhead or out of the way till needed.

P.s. Bessey makes some top quality deep clamps (Bessey CDS24-12WP) but the price tag can get scary.

Van Huskey
02-16-2011, 3:52 PM
You - or anyone else - have hands-on experience with this brand? Saving money on clamps is attractive; wasting money on poor performing tools isn't.

thanks

Kent

Kent, really... :) It's freakin' Peachtree, get in your car go over to Norcross and you tell us what quality they are... :)

That reminds me next time i am through ATL I need to get by Highland and check out their house brand quick release (one handed) bar clamps, I need a few and they are inexpensive, just need to verify they aren't cheap.

rick sawyers
02-16-2011, 4:19 PM
Look into Wetzler. I have some and they are great, well worth the money.

Kent A Bathurst
02-16-2011, 4:50 PM
Kent, really... :) It's freakin' Peachtree, get in your car go over to Norcross and you tell us what quality they are... :)

That reminds me next time i am through ATL I need to get by Highland and check out their house brand quick release (one handed) bar clamps, I need a few and they are inexpensive, just need to verify they aren't cheap.

Ima thinkin 'bout it, Van - Ima thinkin 'bout it. OTOH - even assuming those do the trick, for an additional hundred bucks, I could use the std 6" C-clamps I have, and make 8-9 pairs of 48" 2" x 2" HM cauls.......except for a few hours of my time, which takes it up an additional $0.15.

Next time in ATL, I'll buy you a beer at one of my favorite bars - down Highland ave about 1/2 mile form the store.

Kent

Rick Fisher
02-16-2011, 11:24 PM
I have 2 x 7-1/2" deep Bessey Tradesman.. and 2 x 5-1/2" deep Bessey tradesmen.

They are very good.. High quality.. And amazingly strong.. I use them a bunch, not for the reach as much as because they are so sturdy..

Like you, I have a goofy amount of clamps.. including 16 of the 4" deep x 12" Bessey Tradesman clamps.. The bigger ones get used the most..

I think they are about $40.00 each :eek: .. I dont regret buying them one bit.. Plan on getting 2 more of the 7-1/2" ..