PDA

View Full Version : Carbide Tools-------yup they break

Gary Max
02-16-2011, 2:38 AM
For you folks who like the Carbide cutters make sure you are wearing a good face shield.
They can break, sending small chunks of steel flying.

Dan Forman
02-16-2011, 3:29 AM
That must have been a little frightening, hope you weren't hurt. Was this from a home made tool? Was it supported well on the tool, all the way to the bevel? Any pics of the tool before it broke? Did you hit something nasty, or did it just give up during a normal cut?

Dan

Norman Hitt
02-16-2011, 4:11 AM
That must have been a little frightening, hope you weren't hurt. Was this from a home made tool? Was it supported well on the tool, all the way to the bevel? Any pics of the tool before it broke? Did you hit something nasty, or did it just give up during a normal cut?

Dan

With nothing to compare it to to determine the size, it's hard to say for sure, BUT, it sure looks like a square carbide insert for a jointer or planer, or maybe it is a carbide tip that is screwed onto the end of a turinig tool. :confused:

Brian McInturff
02-16-2011, 6:47 AM
At least there isn't any visible blood stains on it! I'm glad it missed you. I would be curious if it is one of the inserts designed for a turning tool as is EWT's or if it was one of the many copies out there like Woodchucks. Not saying anything against Woodchucks but I do know Craig spent time evaluating which cutters and what design of cutter to use. I personally am old school and have only used a carbide just a couple of times. I do own several though. Gary, could you give more details about what happened?

Gary Max
02-16-2011, 7:42 AM
I bought the cutter from CSUSA which is not to say anything bad about those folks. They are just reselling a import item like everyone else out there. The tools you see for sale are just handles with someone else's cutter screwed on. Heck I would be suprized if any of them are made in the USA anymore.

Dick Strauss
02-16-2011, 8:56 AM
Gary,
Did you have the screw made for the cutter? Did you have it fully supported underneath the carbide? Did the tool ever get dropped? I've considered making some tools of my own and am hoping to learn from others before starting down that road.

Bernie Weishapl
02-16-2011, 11:21 AM
That's a bummer. Glad you weren't hurt.

Roger Chandler
02-16-2011, 11:47 AM
Glad you are safe, Gary! Appreciate the words of caution..........that could have caused a serious injury.

Gary Max
02-16-2011, 12:54 PM
The older I get the longer I want to live--------heck last year I even upgraded my glasses to a Real safety lens. They weigh just a tad bit more than regular glasses but well worth the trouble.

Tim Rinehart
02-16-2011, 2:49 PM
Gary, glad to hear you weren't hurt and that you have real safety lenses. I just went to get a new prescription filled for my glasses I wear in shop, and opted for the Z87 safety glasses...nice big ones that cover a wide area.
I have made my own carbide tools and have found that there are special fasteners (typically with Torx head) that fit the recess just right to properly secure the inserts. May not be case with all inserts and I suspect it's not.
Good reason to take extra cautions like just pitching and replacing the insert, especially if it strikes a hard object, even if no sign of distress...something may be lurking. You got away lucky, and hopefully we can all take something away from that! Thanks for posting this info.

Rob Cunningham
02-17-2011, 12:55 PM
Gary, I'm glad you weren't hurt.
Although carbide is tough, it is also brittle because it's a powdered metallurgy product. Tightening the hold-down screw too much can cause it to crack and then fail under the stresses of cutting. Also as others said, the insert needs to be fully supported under the cutting edge. A good reason to always wear safety glasses or faceshield.