PDA

View Full Version : what to start pen turning

Bo McCorkle
02-15-2011, 11:05 PM
Guys im going to woodcraft next weekend and need to now what all i need to start turning pen Give me a list of stuff

Thanks

Michael James
02-15-2011, 11:10 PM
Kits with correct bushings,and drill bits. Blanks if you dont have any, barrell trimmer, glue - CA, Gorilla, or epoxy. I use a clamp for assembly, some use the DP or you can buy an assembly press. Eventually, you will want a disassembly set.
Have fun, but beware it can be addicting!
mj

Jim Sebring
02-16-2011, 12:04 AM
I began my fall into the abyss with the Penn State starter kit. You will probably quickly advance from the low-end Slimlines to better kits. I like the Sierra kits. Woodcraft calls them Wallstreet II.

You should check out this dedicated site for pen turners: The International Assn. of Penturners http://www.penturners.org/

Larry Dubia
02-16-2011, 12:12 AM
You should also look up a local chapter of the IAP to get involved in the meetings. There is an abundance of information to be had. The members all will eagerly share their know how with you to help you get started and to progress. I started a year and a half ago and have been learning heaps from them. Now I cast my own blanks, combine casting with wood and other materials, swap pens around the world, and generally have a great time. You won't be sorry. You may be broke, but you won't be sorry. ;o)

Larry