PDA

View Full Version : Hawaiian Inspiration

Mike Marmon
02-15-2011, 7:10 PM
Greetings All;
My wife and I made an escape from Portland to enjoy the sun on the Big Island of Hawaii (gloat). I found the Hawaii wood working Guild show going on. These are just a few pictures of the amazing turnings on display. Koa is one of my favorite woods and there was plenty of it about. So if you get to the big island before the end of February go and check out the show.

25th Annual Hawaii Wood Guild Exhibit 2011
at Isaacs Art Center in Waimea!
65-1268 Kawaihae Road
Exhibit Dates:
Saturday, January 29th—Saturday, February 26th
Enjoy

John Keeton
02-15-2011, 7:13 PM
Thanks for posting, Mike! Some very nice stuff - love the platter, and it looks like the shelving in the second pic is as beautiful as some of the turnings!

Bernie Weishapl
02-15-2011, 7:19 PM
Mike those are beautiful. I really like that platter. Nicely done.

David E Keller
02-15-2011, 8:23 PM
Congrats on the trip, and thanks for sharing the photos. The piece in the fourth photo(NIP) is fascinating if my eyes aren't fooling me... Are those undulating facets going around the piece?

charlie knighton
02-15-2011, 8:48 PM
thanks for sharing, enjoy

Thomas Canfield
02-15-2011, 9:40 PM
Mike,

You make me jealous. I had a trip planned to go next month to catch the Big Island Woodturners Show in Hilo, but today cancelled. The turning in Hawaii are something else and do give one inspiration, and the turners are nice and friendly and willing to talk about their work. Did you bring back some wood? It is hard to pass it up.

Michael James
02-15-2011, 11:19 PM
That Koa is beautiful, I would bet blanks are not cheap. Thx for posting.

Mike Marmon
02-16-2011, 6:31 PM
David: ON the tall NP hollowform there are undulating lines carved into the piece, It is hard to see in the pictures but very cool in person.

Thomas: Sorry that you had to cancel your trip. I did pick up some blanks while I was there. Found a wonderful shop on the Kona side called Aloha Woods, they have a web site. I picked up a large MonkeyPod blank, small Mango, and Palm, Avocado and Macadamia nut pen blanks. They had some nice Koa blanks but I didn't have anymore space of money...

Fred Perreault
02-16-2011, 7:01 PM
Mike, great post...beautiful stuff

Donny Lawson
02-16-2011, 7:16 PM
Looks like some nice wood to turn.I like the spalted platter.

Jon Lanier
02-16-2011, 9:38 PM
Totally sweet. I agree, the spalted platter is tops!

Thomas Canfield
02-16-2011, 10:13 PM
Mike,

Aloha Woods does have some nice wood, and there is often some good finds in the $2/pound boxes. I have picked up a lot of smaller pieces of odd shape offcuts that work for pens, small bowls, and wine stoppers. Flat rate postal boxes are a good way to ship the wood home also. I got caught a couple of years ago with overweight luggage and I could have shipped a couple of the large flat rate boxes. I shipped some boxes on Friday there that beat me back to Tyler when I flew out on Sunday night. Now you need to mount the wood, make some shavings, and turn out some nice pieces. Start planning your next trip - the island is addictive.

Steve Schlumpf
02-16-2011, 10:47 PM
Wow! Sure is some amazing turnings! Love the woods, the forms and the level of detail work! Must have been something else to view in person! Thanks for sharing!