PDA

View Full Version : Playing with Dye and Firewood #2

Cathy Schaewe
02-15-2011, 6:03 PM
This piece is also red oak from the firewood pile, although the finial is walnut. Dyed with blue/black, blue and blue/turquoise. It's 5 3/4" tall and 6" wide. I tried to get the little blue part of the lid to look like the piece, as well as the bulb on the finial. I failed miserably on the bulb, and really didn't care for the way the lid looks, but for only my third finial and second lid, I guess it'll do.

Again, let me know what you think.

Roger Chandler
02-15-2011, 6:07 PM
That one is fine, fine, fine! Real nice work here, Cathy...........I like the color, your finial is nice and it fits the form. Just really nice work!

Jim Burr
02-15-2011, 6:14 PM
I can't think of one part of this that isn't nice work Cathy....except the lack of pic's. I like to see the bottom of pieces since that's my weak spot. Again...very well done!

Pete Jordan
02-15-2011, 6:16 PM
I really like it Cathy! You are gifted!

Michael James
02-15-2011, 6:40 PM
WOW #2.... I like that style of finial. I can't see the color difference on the bulb so it looks pretty good from here. I like this one too!
mj

Wally Dickerman
02-15-2011, 7:08 PM
Not wild about the color but the piece is very well done. The finial is different and I like it.

Wally

John Keeton
02-15-2011, 7:09 PM
Cathy, this one is very distinctive looking - very different from your previous work - and, very well done! The finial appears all black in the pic - at least to my aging eyes - and I think I would prefer that on this piece. The blue on the lid is probably enough replication. I like the finial style, too, BTW!

Bernie Weishapl
02-15-2011, 7:21 PM
Cathy that is another wonderful piece. I do like the finial on this one.

Harry Robinette
02-15-2011, 7:32 PM
Cathy
Really nice shape, love the finial, don't care for the color but the work is really nice.Keep up the great work.
Harry

David E Keller
02-15-2011, 8:18 PM
Another winner from my point of view. The lid and finial have a bit of a Jetsons feel which I like. Nicely done.

Mark Hix
02-15-2011, 8:23 PM
I wish my "serious" looked like your "playing". I like it!

Cathy Schaewe
02-15-2011, 8:38 PM
Cathy, this one is very distinctive looking - very different from your previous work - and, very well done! The finial appears all black in the pic - at least to my aging eyes - and I think I would prefer that on this piece. The blue on the lid is probably enough replication. I like the finial style, too, BTW!
I wasn't clear - the finial is all black. I meant that I was trying to replicate the shape of the HF with the bulb.
Yes, I'm trying to do different!

Scott Hackler
02-15-2011, 8:45 PM
Very nice Cathy. I like it a lot. The color and contrast works very well. The finial is nicely sized for the form and has a Keith Burns influence. Great job, now how about some better photos!! :)

Richard Madden
02-15-2011, 8:50 PM
I think you did a great job! I like everything about it.

Cathy Schaewe
02-15-2011, 8:59 PM
Very nice Cathy. I like it a lot. The color and contrast works very well. The finial is nicely sized for the form and has a Keith Burns influence. Great job, now how about some better photos!! :)

Me and my camera are fighting! I'm working on it ...

Thanks all for the positive reinforcement -

Steve Schlumpf
02-15-2011, 9:27 PM
I do like the form and again, nice work on the dye! Interesting finial/lid combo - I do like your use of color to tie things together!

If I could make one suggestion on your photos - that would be to lower the camera's viewpoint to slightly above a profile shot. When you raise the camera up to show the top of the turning - you lose all sense of form because it distorts.

Brian Effinger
02-15-2011, 10:21 PM
Cool blue. :) I like the color, form, lid and Burns-esque finial. The only thing I'd like is to have the grain stand out more. Maybe a black grain filler, or just a coat of black dye first? I'm just glad it didn't become firewood.

Cathy Schaewe
02-15-2011, 10:43 PM
Cool blue. :) I like the color, form, lid and Burns-esque finial. The only thing I'd like is to have the grain stand out more. Maybe a black grain filler, or just a coat of black dye first? I'm just glad it didn't become firewood.

I actually did a blue-black coat first. The grain stands out just a hair more in reality than it does in the pic.

Baxter Smith
02-15-2011, 10:57 PM
I like it and the finial. Agree on more of a profile shot but looks good from here.

Jon Nuckles
02-15-2011, 11:48 PM
I like it, especially the finial. Hard to believe you haven't done more of these!

Dan Forman
02-16-2011, 3:44 AM
Kudos again, I like the lid and finial, not as wild about the blue as the red, but it's growing on me.

Dan

Donny Lawson
02-16-2011, 6:44 AM
Cathy, you do great work. I like your design. It all flows very well together.

Tony De Masi
02-16-2011, 7:14 AM
Another nice one Cathy. Not too fond of the color but the turning itself is very well done.