PDA

View Full Version : Crown Wedge Tool Woes.

Simon Bramley
02-15-2011, 3:42 PM
Hi everyone. My first post at SMC so please be gentle...

I recently bought a job lot of mostly Record gouges, which included a Crown Wedge tool.
I've read the blurb on the Crown website (http://www.crownhandtools.ltd.uk/products/wedgeandsplay.asp), which implies that this tool is nothing short of miraculous, but I can't find any information about how to use the thing.

It looks brand new (perhaps the previous owner was as clueless as I am), and has a tiny bevel underneath the toe end. It's certainly a substantial tool, made from 1/2" bar, and as it has no wings to catch, I suspect that it will be relatively easy and safe to use, but the tiny bevel makes me think that it could be very aggressive if presented to the workpiece in the wrong way.

Does anyone here have any experience of this tool (I hesitate to call it a gouge or chisel until I am better informed)?

Any tips would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance, Simon.

bob svoboda
02-15-2011, 3:54 PM
Welcome Simon. Don't worry, nobody's going to beat you up here (at least until we know you better :D)
I haven't used a wedge tool, but it looks a lot like what I have seen referred to as a 'skewchigouge' Supposed to be user friendly and good especially for spindle turning. I'm sure someone who has used the tool will chime in-I'll be interested in the answers to your question.

John Keeton
02-15-2011, 4:14 PM
Simon, welcome to the creek!! I am not familiar with this tool, but there are so many "specialty" tools out there that folks have come up and seems they are all "nothing short of miraculous" as you put it. In reality, most turners end up using a handful of standard fare tools and seem to do quite well with them. That is not to say that there are special use tools that are devised for one or two particular tasks, and excel at those tasks. But, I have yet to see the magic tool that will do it all.

Kyle Iwamoto
02-15-2011, 4:45 PM
I have one of those aforementioned skewchigouges, which looks a lot like that. As John says, it's more hype, as far as I can tell. I does work and it does produce a nice finish. But I use it sparingly, only for a few reasons. Detailing, mostly. I usually reach for my bowl gouges and scrapers. I can say it will not take the place of a gouge.

Simon Bramley
02-15-2011, 4:50 PM
Wow, you guys are fast!

Thanks for that Bob and John.

I'd never heard of the skewchigouge, but a bit of googling got me a video at woodcraft.com. Trust you Americans to have a movie of it ;-) .
My tool is a much simpler grind (flat face and a much smaller bevel), but it's obviously made from the same stock.
I'm all enthusiastic now, so I'm intending to give it a go tomorrow. If I still have the use of all ten fingers tomorrow evening, I'll post my results...

p.s. I was amused to hear the guy on the woodcraft video saying that Sheffield steel was THE BEST steel!
As I live just South of Sheffield, you can imagine how proud that made me feel ;-) .
However, I can't believe that does much for their sales in the US, as I'm reliably informed that you make some quite good tools yourselves!!!??!!

Thanks again. I like it here already!

David E Keller
02-15-2011, 5:54 PM
Welcome, Simon. Like the others here, I've had no experience with that particular tool. I bought a skewchigouge when I first started turning, but I never got a feel for it... It has since been reground and repurposed. I'm looking forward to hearing your impressions of the 'miracle tool'.;-)

Bernie Weishapl
02-15-2011, 7:30 PM
Welcome Simon. I to bought a skewchigouge and it has been reground for a different purpose. Just didn't like it.

Harry Robinette
02-15-2011, 7:47 PM
Simon
Welcome to the creek.Check out the two tools that comes with the ELF from ether Henry T. or Ashley I. I believe your tool looks and works like their cove tool.
Harry